Author Topic: "Readiness"  (Read 2470 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Readiness"
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »
Ann Barnardt discusses her physical fitness program, "Fran", as ONE element of a "readiness" issue, and includes a practical demonstration:

http://barnhardt.biz/

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: "Readiness"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »
 Rule #1: Cardio .  The Fatties are the first to go. Poor Fat Bastard.

Zombieland - Cardio

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
I'm of two minds about physical preparation.  Body fat strongly contributes to poor cardiovascular health and stamina, but it also exists for a reason. The ready availability of high calorie food is one of the marvels of the modern world. In nature our bodies are equipped for infrequent meals that come only as a result of hard work. Surplus calories are stored as fat because the next meal might be more than a week away.

Could there actually be some benefit to having a bit of padding while it is still easy to do so? I can honestly see both sides of this argument. I can see how being very lean and muscular would exact such a high metabolic cost that a transition into a scenario where food is no longer easy to come by could be problematic. The body will quickly find those calories somewhere, and it is able to breakdown muscle tissue to get them. Naturally, it also breaks down fat for that purpose. The main difference is that fat tissue is there for exactly that purpose, whereas breaking down muscle tissue is more of a last resort strategy.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 04:52:26 AM »
... a transition into a scenario where food is no longer easy to come by could be problematic. The body will quickly find those calories somewhere, and it is able to breakdown muscle tissue to get them .... a last resort strategy.

I think that's called cannibalism !  ::puke:: ;D

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »

The other, other, other white meat!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:03:38 AM »
Could there actually be some benefit to having a bit of padding while it is still easy to do so? I can honestly see both sides of this argument. I can see how being very lean and muscular would exact such a high metabolic cost that a transition into a scenario where food is no longer easy to come by could be problematic.

It probably depends on your defintion of "fit" - If you are looking to compete with trained Marines 22 years of age, then yeah, you probably need to be lean.
I amnot sure "fit" needs to be that. As long as you are fit enough to do the work you need to do, I am sure the slower metabolism helps.  After the work I did last summer, I am pretty sure my body wants to maintain pudge even as I get stronger. The reason that its so dang hard for humans to maintain that perfect body is because Nature doesn't want us to.  Mother Nature  wants to store some fat - or at least she sure does on me.  Fat doesn't mean you are not fit. You need your  cardio-vascular system to be up to speed, and your muscles need to be strong enough to do what is required.  Being fit doesn't mean looking like a Greek God - that is an artifact of human vanity ( of whose measure I apparently got too little) and a desire to keep your metabolic rate the same as it was when you were 18.  Its far more important to be healthy, and being so probably does not mean pushing your body to extremes metabolic rates it doesn't do naturally  in order  to get rid of fat it wants to keep at age 40.

If you don't know what you are doing, moderation seems to always be the wisest choice.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
Functionally fit, I can do what I need to do, but I'm not the lean critter I was 20 years ago, so, being smarter helps overcome other shortcimings.  While I may not be able to outrun zombies, I can drop 'em with lead and be smart enough not to put myself in precarious positions.
 ;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
  I'm almost ready as I can be for now. But there's always room for improvement.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »
... a transition into a scenario where food is no longer easy to come by could be problematic. The body will quickly find those calories somewhere, and it is able to breakdown muscle tissue to get them .... a last resort strategy.

Actually I've heard this muscle self-consumption as the explanation for why distance runners are usually so scrawny. Apparently when the body is put in situations where its free-circulating energy stores (glycogen) are used up, which occurs after about 20-30 minutes of high intensity exercise, it will start breaking down muscle tissue as an emergency source of energy because it can do so more easily and more quickly than it can with fat.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »

Actually I've heard this muscle self-consumption as the explanation for why distance runners are usually so scrawny. Apparently when the body is put in situations where its free-circulating energy stores (glycogen) are used up, which occurs after about 20-30 minutes of high intensity exercise, it will start breaking down muscle tissue as an emergency source of energy because it can do so more easily and more quickly than it can with fat.

And I suppose the euphoria as a result of losing muscle mass is what relaxes them to the point where they crap their shorts and keep running...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.