Author Topic: Santa Cruz, CA tsunami damage video  (Read 1303 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Santa Cruz, CA tsunami damage video
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
First, Google Map (satellite) the Santa Cruz, California Harbor area to acquaint yourself with the land mass and shape of the shoreline. Then you will see what happens when a very narrow channel, in the middle of a huge crescent shaped beach, will do the a harbor. Look at the channel markers and the speed of the water rushing by.

Santa Cruz Harbor Tsunami 3/11/11 jeejuh.com beats for sale

Check out 2:12 in the video. Like watching a train wreck.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:40:51 AM by BigAlSouth »
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Re: Santa Cruz, CA tsunami damage video
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 08:43:17 AM »
Unbelievably, a tsunami hit the same area about a year ago, February 27, 2010:

A tsunami visits Santa Cruz Harbor, 2/27/2010
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
Looks like that area of coastline is a bight, so it probably has a wide tidal range even on a normal day. The coast of Georgia is like that, on a bigger scale. If you look at the coast of FL to the south and NC/SC to the north, they funnel the tides towards GA. That place would be annihilated by an East Coast tsunami.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »

IIRC there was warning this tidal surge was coming.  The video shows it to be well past daybreak; WTF didn't they go take their boats out of the channel?  Did they stay home sipping a Latte saying, "it's insured"?
California, right?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »

IIRC there was warning this tidal surge was coming.  The video shows it to be well past daybreak; WTF didn't they go take their boats out of the channel?  Did they stay home sipping a Latte saying, "it's insured"?
California, right?

That's a question I was wondering about myself. My boat isn't a fraction as expensive as some of those getting tossed about. It's just an old 20' fish-n-ski bass boat. But I would never leave it open to the elements if there was a credible damaging weather threat that my side-bumpers might not handle. If we're on vacation and I'm renting a slip or dock, I'm always checking the weather to make sure there's not going to be high winds moving in at night. If there are, then I trailer the boat, it's that simple. It's a hassle to land it when I otherwise wouldn't, but not THAT big of a hassle that I'd willingly sleep through it getting crashed against the dock all night.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »

Exactly, most of them looked too big to trailer, all they had to do was take their boat out into the bay. As I understand it the 500mph is energy that is subsurface and the tidal surge comes from the increasing shallow water, coves and channels focusing/collecting the energy at one spot.

If one was a mile out he may not know the surge had passed under him.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 10:58:18 PM »

Exactly, most of them looked too big to trailer, all they had to do was take their boat out into the bay. As I understand it the 500mph is energy that is subsurface and the tidal surge comes from the increasing shallow water, coves and channels focusing/collecting the energy at one spot.

If one was a mile out he may not know the surge had passed under him.

That's my understanding too... although before I bet my life on it, I might check it out just to make sure!
 ::praying::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »

California, right?

Hells Bells, they had one just last year. It is not like this was some huge surprise.
--------------