Author Topic: Tragedy: Andrew Breitbart  (Read 6234 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Tragedy: Andrew Breitbart
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
I am done being NICE.

Yep.

So am I.

Ohhoho, yep indeed.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
 ;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »
Elsewhere I was reminded of this: Proverbs 17:5 - He who mocks the poor taunts his Maker; He who rejoices at calamity will not go unpunished.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
Don't you like how these libs invoke Satan and Hell?  We know they don't believe in either.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 12:50:24 PM »

This is what I like:

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/03/01/a-supernova-now-dark/

http://www.redstate.com/jeff_emanuel/2012/03/01/andrew-breitbart-1969-2012/

http://theothermccain.com/2012/03/01/r-i-p-andrew-breitbart-innovative-genius-of-new-media-dies-at-age-43/

DEAR READER: In the first decade of the DRUDGEREPORT Andrew Breitbart was a constant source of energy, passion and commitment. We shared a love of headlines, a love of the news, an excitement about what's happening. I don't think there was a single day during that time when we did not flash each other or laugh with each other, or challenge each other. I still see him in my mind's eye in Venice Beach, the sunny day I met him. He was in his mid 20's. It was all there. He had a wonderful, loving family and we all feel great sadness for them today... MDRUDGE

I met Andrew Breitbart in 2005 when I was asked to write for the Huffingtpon Post. He was running the show. Everyone who knew him - left and right - said he was brilliant, eccentric, one of a kind. I instantly fell in love with the guy. To this day, i've never met anyone as fearless. He was my first guest on Redeye, a show I got largely because he told people about me. He became a cheerleader for my work, but more important, a dear close friend I could confide in, about anything. My wife called him the wizard, for he could conjure up anything at any time with limitless energy.

He's the only person I know who operated without a safety net. He always knew things would turn out the way they were supposed to - so he didn't worry about money or, i guess, his health, too much.

He was the spiritual leader of the modern conservative, libertarian cause. He was immersed in pop culture and wished to drag the right into the modern world - knowing this is how America speaks to the world. He was the heart of the matter. The fighter. Losing him is like a fiery planet going dark.

My heart felt condolences go out to Susie and the kids.
... Greg Gutfeld

http://minx.cc/?post=327119

http://minx.cc/?post=327121

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/327123.php#327123

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
He'll surely be missed. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family. ::praying:: As far as the libiots, they will be judged.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
I nice word from one of my facebook friends, Katie O'Malley...

I am Andrew Breitbart Now

As I write this, I find that I bounce between every stage of Kubler Ross’ stages of giref in 15 second increments. Bear with me.

Years ago, a friend of mine was listening to me noodle on a problem. She said, “You should call my friend Andrew and talk to him. He loves to talk about this stuff.” And so I did. At the time, he was still behind the curtain of the burgeoning new media space and none of us knew how exactly it would unfold and what his role would be. But everyone who spent even two minutes talking to Andrew knew he would be a game-changer.

We talked for hours on that first call (there was no such thing as short phone call with Andrew) juggling our households of kids in the background. We laughed, railed, solved as many problems in the world as we could before one child or another knocked something over. He charmed me from the first hello.

During that first call with Andrew, I was a stay at home mom who was trying to find my voice. I had feelings and opinions but I was struggling to find the confidence to express myself. Talking to Andrew with his “I know!” and “Exactly!” punctuating the conversation was magical for me at the time. He gave me confidence and encouragement to find my voice, and use it. USE IT. Get out there and fight.

Fast forward a few years and I took a shot in the dark and sent a snarky email to Human Events Editor Jed Babbin. The email was not in a format covered in “How to land a writing gig” but more “jotting down the wacky way I talk to Andrew and other friends.” And Jed, God Bless that wonderful, amazing man, let me further develop my voice under his tutelage.

And now, I feel the loss of Andrew in so many ways. I lost a friend. I think of his wife Susie, one of the most generous, amazing, kind souls I have ever met, and my heart breaks. At a time in my life I was struggling with a very real family issue, she gave me insight that changed my perspective and did so with such generous honesty and vulnerability it endeared her to me forever. His children were the lights of his life and as a mother, their pain makes me nauseous and almost paralyzed with grief for them.

As a warrior in General Breitbart’s army, I feel leaderless. In a movement that is punctuated with example after example of cowardly and self-destructive behavior, I fear for the movement and fear for my country.

Bev Perlson of Band of Mothers, always referred to Andrew as the “General Washington of our time” and she is right. Andrew did not lead from an ivory tower, a comfortable consulting office in DC or from the cesspool of Beltway politics. He led from the streets, from stages in the middle of deserts, corn-fields and town squares. He is one of the few people I can think of who never asked those around him to fight a fight or take a risk he was not already up to his eyeballs in.

One time I had to get him to a designated spot by a certain time for an important interview. I was on much feared “Andrew Wrangler Duty”. No one ever volunteered for that role, but many around him had to wrangle at some point. The challenge that drove us crazy? Knowing he had to be at a set spot, at a set time, and we would have to nudge him through all the people who just wanted a quick moment.

It didn’t matter how important the meeting, or how famous or powerful the person he was meeting was, it was never as important to him as the little old lady who tugged on his sleeve as he raced through a hallway who just wanted to say hi and get a picture. And you just couldn’t get frustrated with him when he came to a screeching halt…every 3 feet…for as long as the stretch was from where he was to where he needed to be, because it was so endearing and twas the very essence of who he was. He loved being with the warrior in the street more than any big shot that may have been on his meeting schedule. He loved what he did. He loved who if did if for. He loved who he did it with.

He was frenetic, exhausting, exhilarating and one of the funniest people I have ever known. He could make you cry with laugher as he barked out a self-deprecating story at the pace of machine gun fire. He could make you grab your camera and run to the streets to heed his call for citizen journalists.

After the Tea Party event in Nashville a few years ago, I noticed that my face hurt and I tried to figure out why. I realized it had been ages since I had smiled that much or laughed that hard. He was utterly and completely charming.

Despite the level of vitriol from the left, my frustration with my own movement, Andrew’s powerful, consistent, smart and saucy voice made me feel less despondent. He was the warrior in the foxhole who put his head up, took enemy fire, and let the rest of us see what we are up against.

All morning I have wondered, how do you fill the hole he has left? What leader can step up to take his place? And I know. No one can. He is irreplaceable. One person alone can never fill the gaping hole he leaves behind. We don’t need one Andrew Breitbart to carry on. We need thousands of Andrew Breitbarts. We need you to be Andrew Breitbart.

My heart is broken. But today, and going forward until my last breath, I am Andrew Breitbart.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »
What a wonderful, touching eulogy.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 02:47:34 PM »
As expected, David Frum, "conservative" hack scribbler, wasted no time insulting the memory of a real man.

What a puke.

I have no doubt that he wet and soiled himself while writing it with whatever crayon was at hand.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
What a wonderful, touching eulogy.

It was terrific.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 04:37:47 PM »
Upon hearing of Breitbart's death this morning I experienced close to the same feeling I had at the passing of Lee Atwater . Simply irreplaceable .  :'(

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
Upon hearing of Breitbart's death this morning I experienced close to the same feeling I had at the passing of Lee Atwater . Simply irreplaceable .  :'(

I thought the exact same thing. A warrior fallen.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
Ever the one looking for layers beneath what is apparent, I have spent the day biting back a keen sense of suspicion, based on nothing other than circumstance.

The man just a few short weeks ago proclaimed loudly from the podium of the premier conservative event of the year that he had videotaped evidence of Barack Hussein Obama as a radical Marxist anti-american activist in his college days.

Then he went on days later to ridicule Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn after dining in their home.

He collapsed a short time after dining out.

All I can say is we had damn well better see that videotape.

One thing Breitbart never, ever did: he never promised something publicly that he failed to deliver. Never.

If the video of Obama is not forthcoming, I call foul play, for all the good it will do me or anybody else.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
  I saw this at 8.30 at work today and all I could do is sit there in shock hoping all along that it wasn't true but sadly it is and I'm having a real problem believing it. As for the nastyness from the sewers I don't want to see any of it,the mood I'm in I could just do something tha I would never regret.

God bless his family and his memory.Now I can only pray for a replacement to come up and carry on his work.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 12:35:35 AM »

More tribute:

Warrior: Franklin Center Remembers Andrew Breitbart

http://www.facebook.com/notes/ann-mcelhinney/andrew-breitbart-warrior-prince/338301652877859

Andrew Breitbart: Warrior Prince
by Ann McElhinney on Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 4:17pm ·

"I hate those people, I really hate those people." Dearest friend, we will miss you.

Andrew Breitbart said that a lot.

And he wasn't just talking about liberal liars and hypocrites. As often as not he was talking about establishment conservatives who either never knew or had forgotten what the fight was really all about. He REALLY hated them.

And there are so many of them. You'll find them tweeting today about how much they valued him. They didn't; he scared them. He fearlessly said all the things they didn't have the balls to say. For that he was loved by true conservatives and hated by the establishment frauds. These fake conservatives knew they couldn't be that brave, that courageous, take those kinds of risks and, more than even the hateful liberals, they wanted him to fail. Andrew didn't fail.

His words and actions have inspired so many young people, and many not so young, to take action and to speak out wherever they see the hateful liberal narrative being preached.

So many people today will talk about the nasty, vitriolic, irrational leftists whose tweets are such a fitting testimony to their bankrupt morality and such a fitting tribute to Andrew's power to drive them literally insane. But today is not their day.

We drove together on Saturday from Troy to Detroit airport. We had both made speeches at an AFP event over the weekend. He got in the car and immediately complained of feeling really ill. I presumed it was because we had drank too much the evening before. Turns out I was wrong. Andrew was probably dying. But despite this he talked so animatedly about Fox News' dated aesthetic, a CNN offer to team up with Weiner for a talk show, an Aaron Sorkin offer and of the fight, the fight--always the fight--to tell the truth and expose the liars.

He liked to use the word warrior. A few weeks ago we were both in Traverse City for another event and the Dana Loesch peeing over the Taliban storm in tea cup erupted. A conservative event planned for the following day had decided to drop Dana. Andrew hated those people. We stayed up super late that night. Andrew tweeted like a crazy thing. He was on the phone and texting, defending his "warrior princess" as he called Dana. I was a witness to those calls and to the texts and tweets coming from the cowardly organizers, the "it's out of my hands" crowd. Andrew hated you guys; you know who you are.

The scene was amazing--Andrew tweeting and texting and calling people and getting more and more angry with the organizers of that event who had dropped Dana. He was surrounded by admirers who just wanted to be close to the fire that he was.

I am not sure if Andrew liked Jack Kerouac, but On the Road offers what's for me a perfect tribute for Andrew:

[blockquote]    "...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"[/blockquote]

Farewell Andrew, brave warrior. You were better than them all. I am so glad I knew you.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »
I'm still sad today.  I don't usually give up that much emotion for someone I didn't know (other than offer up a prayer for the family). 

Last night I had a nagging feeling I couldn't identify then it hit me-- it was the same feeling I'd experienced before.  I wouldn't be so arrogant to call it a premonition but every time I watched or listened to Breitbart I had this unsettled feeling I couldn't describe.  Not that I specifically thought he's die young or someone would kill him  but...something.. as if I was wondering how long will he be with us, doing this...as if he was just passing through.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
Everything I've read by folks who knew him indicate Andrew was as a supernova; super-bright, almost manic, highly focused.  One does wonder how long such folks can abide without burning out in one way or another.

Such a loss, though; I still feel a little gut-punched myself.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »
Yeah, my middle smarts a bit still as well.  But it seems like Andrew has influenced a lot of people, so I am sure there are some proteges out there we will be hearing from.  That is my hope anyway.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »
James O'Keefe seems a fitting one to pick up Andrew's torch. Both relish the direct, let-the-Left-show-you-just-who-they-are approach.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly