Author Topic: 23-yo Hillsdale grad starts bakery in Africa  (Read 1145 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
23-yo Hillsdale grad starts bakery in Africa
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
One of my daughters was friends with this young man. 

Young man teaches poor African women how to bake and sew and support themselves

Hershock founded the Marshall-based company Be A Number in September 2009. The concept is simple: for every Be A Number T-shirt that a customer buys, a child in need receives a free shirt. Each pair of shirts has a unique number exclusive to the two.

<snip>
Hershock went to Africa with the intent of giving shirts to children and selling more to pay for their education.
<snip>

Halfway through his trip, he had to acknowledge that his mission was unraveling.
<snip>

“I just decided to pray and to fast, so I just didn’t eat anything all day,” Hershock said. “While I was doing that, I was just thinking, ‘Let’s say I just push Be A Number aside. I just have to do something good while I’m here.’”

<snip>

Hershock went online and watched tutorial videos. He taught himself how to bake and sew, then passed the knowledge on to the women. Hershock opened a bakery called Magdalene’s and brought the five women, including Abokya, into his employ.

“The women just took to him so quickly, because they could see that he just wanted to help,” Martinez said.

The bakery quickly started making money. Many people in Gulu had never tried sweets like cupcakes, cakes and cookies, and they loved them.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: 23-yo Hillsdale grad starts bakery in Africa
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »
Heh, pretty good, kind of a "teach a man to fish" lesson!   ::thumbsup::

But intorduicing sweets to unsuspecting African's?!  Don't tell Moochelle!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: 23-yo Hillsdale grad starts bakery in Africa
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
Heh, pretty good, kind of a "teach a man to fish" lesson!   ::thumbsup::

But intorduicing sweets to unsuspecting African's?!  Don't tell Moochelle!   ;D

I had the same thought!

In the summer of '09 a close friend of my daughter's went with him to South Dakota to pass out the shirts to kids on the reservation.  It's a shame such conditions exist in this country.  The kids loved having visitors.

(Incidently, I've sent stuff to the reservations through this organization:
http://friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

I like that they tell you what they need specifically so you know what you send is needed and used.)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."