Author Topic: Happy Independence Day  (Read 908 times)

charlesoakwood

Happy Independence Day
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »

Send this to San Felipe by Express night & day
To The People of Texas and All Americans

Commandancy of the Alamo — Bejar, Fby 24th 1836 —

To the People of Texas & all Americans in the world —

Fellow citizens & compatriots — I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & connade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all despatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am deter mined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country —

Victory or Death William Barret Travis Lt. Col. comdt

P.S. The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves — Travis

Since the above was written I heard a very heavy Canonade during the whole day think there must have been an attack made upon the alamo We were short of amunition when I left Hurry on all the men you can in haste When I left there was but 150 determined to do or die tomorrow I leave for Bejar with what men I can raise [copy here illegible] at all events — Col. Almonte is there the troops are under the Command of Gen. Seisma Albert Martin

[printed sideways] Nb I hope that Every One will Rondevu at gonzales as soon poseble as the Brave Solders are suffering do not neglect this powder is very scarce and should not be delad one moment L. Smither

T FOR TEXAS by WAYLON JENNINGS

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Happy Independence Day
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
  Truly brave Americans.What's happened to half our population? Cowards one and all.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »

“Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word.”

John Steinbeck

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson