Author Topic: Guitarist Ronnie Montrose Dies at 64  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Guitarist Ronnie Montrose Dies at 64
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
Guitarist Ronnie Montrose, one of rock’s great sidemen, whose namesake band Montrose introduced Sammy Hagar to the world, died Saturday. He was 64.

The cause was complications from prostate cancer, his wife and manager, Leighsa Montrose, said.

Mr. Montrose, a San Francisco native, got his first break when he was hired to play guitar on Van Morrison’s 1971 album, “Tupelo Honey.” His career as a sideman continued with Boz Scaggs, Herbie Hancock and the Edgar Winter Group, playing on the hits “Frankenstein” and “Free Ride.”

But his greatest success came with his own band, Montrose, which he formed in 1973. The original lineup featured Hagar on vocals and released two Led Zeppelin inspired albums considered rock classics, “Montrose,” and 1974’s “Paper Money.” The hits “Bad Motor Scooter,” “Rock Candy” and “Space Station No. 5” became FM radio staples.

More here: http://blog.sfgate.com/culture/2012/03/04/guitarist-ronnie-montrose-dies-at-64/

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Guitarist Ronnie Montrose Dies at 64
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:22:59 AM »
It took a few days, but number 3 happened  :'(

Yes, the first Montrose is truly a classic.

Montrose - Bad Motor Scooter

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:43:54 AM »
The Big C strikes again.   >:(
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:20 AM »
That first Montrose album with Sammy was a staple of my youth. What an awesome collection of rock and roll, straight from the gut. I wore out the vinyl and then the cassette.

RIP.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
The Montrose/ Hagar combo was one of the premier rock groups. I still have some of the songs in my library. RIP, Ronnie.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »
I have a feeling all the dudes who've been lined up for the cover of Guitar Player magazine are gonna get bumped out a month.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
A sad update to the News of Ronnie Montrose's passing...

Ronnie Montrose’s Death Caused By Self-Inflicted Gunshot

It has been confirmed that Ronnie Montrose’s death last month was not directly due to his long battle with cancer. The San Mateo County Coroner’s Office reports the guitarist instead died from suicide in the form of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

According to family friend Michael Molenda, in a sad and touching article on GuitarPlayer.com, the Montrose family knew the findings would be made public soon. So they posted a statement on the guitarist’s website and official Facebook page, which reads in part:

“By now, the devastating truth of Ronnie’s death is public knowledge. We hope you can understand why we wanted to keep this news a private family matter for as long as possible. We can only hope that you will choose to celebrate Ronnie’s life, and what his music meant to you, rather than mourn his passing. Ronnie would have wanted it that way.”

Montrose apparently suffered from clinical depression for much of his life. His wife and manager, Leighsa Montrose, explained that he “had a very difficult childhood, which caused him to have extremely deep and damaging feelings of inadequacy, this is why he always drove himself so hard.”

More: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ronnie-montrose-suicide/

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:12:06 PM »
He was one of the lesser known talents of the seventies. I have Bad Motor Scooter in my mp3 collection. I should have a few others.

It's always sad to see someone succumb to depression and, in this case, a delusion.

Montrose “never thought he was good enough. He always feared he’d be exposed as a fraud. So he was exacting in his self-criticism, and the expectations he put upon himself were tremendous.

He was most definitely not a fraud. But he apparently was seriously deluded about what it meant to be a success. He bought into the lie.

Pity.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »
He was most definitely not a fraud. But he apparently was seriously deluded about what it meant to be a success. He bought into the lie.

Pity.

That truly is the saddest part.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:48:48 AM »
Suicide of aging rock stars is a trend that needs to be ixnayed right now.  Brad Delp was more than enough.  :'(