Author Topic: Mitch Daniels: I guess I don't want to be President after all  (Read 3112 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
OK, he didn't exactly say that. He said this:[blockquote]“I’m for Dick Lugar, he’s the role model I’ve had,” Daniels said on NBC’s “Meet the Press”.[/blockquote] Same diff, if you ask me.

Gov. Daniels endorses GOP Sen. Lugar, a big Tea Party target

Indiana Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels on Sunday called embattled Sen. Dick Lugar (R-Ind.) a role model and pledged to support Lugar’s re-election despite Tea-Party opposition.

The endorsement of Lugar could further inflame conservative activists grumbling over Daniels’s call for a political truce on social issues and complicate a potential White House bid.

“I’m for Dick Lugar, he’s the role model I’ve had,” Daniels said on NBC’s “Meet the Press”. “Folks in Indiana know that I am for him and that I admire him and think if he wants another term he ought to have one...”

More @ thehill...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Re: Mitch Daniels: I guess I don't want to be President after all
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »

>
>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>
    better he removes all doubt now instead of creating hanging chads

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
The past two years have been most illuminating. I have learned that the Republican Party establishment has done more to further the "progressive" movement than even the Democrats. While the Democrats are the overtly "progressivist" party, the Republicans are the covert ones. I'm starting to believe their entire reason for existence is to corral the conservative vote and then ignore it, all so as to prevent it from being channeled into actual policy decisions. Their seeming contentment with being the minority party makes me wonder if they aren't literally the Democrats' operation to "run interference".

I can't tell you how done I am with the Republican Party. I categorically refuse to vote for another RINO, even if it means handing the White House back to Obama on a silver platter. I understand the argument against this, but my position is that it wouldn't be me or people like me who gave Obama a second term, it would be the GOP hacks for yanking the rug out from under real conservatives for the 10,000th time. Screw them. It's time for a replacement party.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »
Good one more out!! ::whoohoo::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
...I can't tell you how done I am with the Republican Party. I categorically refuse to vote for another RINO, even if it means handing the White House back to Obama on a silver platter. I understand the argument against this, but my position is that it wouldn't be me or people like me who gave Obama a second term, it would be the GOP hacks for yanking the rug out from under real conservatives for the 10,000th time. Screw them. It's time for a replacement party.

That's not the route I will choose unless the nominee is so egregiously non-conservative that I could not bear to vote for them. But I most certainly understand the frustration, and you won't see any judgment coming from me toward those who see it like you do. I get it. I'm with you in spirit, but maybe not in the voting booth. We'll see.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:05:19 PM »
This lesser of two evils thing I struggle hard with.
Last time I voted for Palin while strongly holding my nose and hoping McCain would win and resign for some reason on 1/21/10.
Since then, she has done stuff that makes me wonder.
In the end, I (probably) would vote for her.

There comes a time where we have to stop accepting what they give us.
Pawlenty, Romney, Daniels, Gingrich (who did I miss?) will never get my vote.

If we can't take the damned Pubs over, let them go the way of the Whigs

IDP, who would you consider to be "so egregiously non-conservative that I could not bear to vote for them"

Not to challenge you but to help sort this out in my own mind

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »
The past two years have been most illuminating. I have learned that the Republican Party establishment has done more to further the "progressive" movement than even the Democrats. While the Democrats are the overtly "progressivist" party, the Republicans are the covert ones. I'm starting to believe their entire reason for existence is to corral the conservative vote and then ignore it, all so as to prevent it from being channeled into actual policy decisions. Their seeming contentment with being the minority party makes me wonder if they aren't literally the Democrats' operation to "run interference".

They couldn't do a better job running interference if the tried.
McConnell on Fox today couldn't  wouldn't give a straight answer.
These people are condemned to HELL. I do not belong to the Party of these people.  I will not be party to these peoples actions that are causing the downfall of this Republic.  

Give me a Conservative or give me Barry.

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace — but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »
The Republican Party is to conservatives as Lucy is to Charlie Brown.

We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 12:12:56 AM »
...IDP, who would you consider to be "so egregiously non-conservative that I could not bear to vote for them"

Not to challenge you but to help sort this out in my own mind

Newt Gingrich. He sat next to Nancy Pelosi and shilled for the Global Warming fraud.
Mitt Romney. RomneyCare.
Mike Huckabee. The guy shamelessly uses Christianity as a political prop, and he's essentially a pro-life liberal.

Those are the three zombies left over from past cycles that would really cause me to consider voting for a third party - especially if there was a strong third party emergence due to the poor quality of the GOP nominee.

I have mixed feelings about Tim Pawlenty. My main problem is that in spite of his basic decency and basic conservatism, I don't think he can win. It shouldn't be so, but charisma matters in presidential politics. I don't think he has what it takes to beat Obama. But if he's the nominee, I'll vote for him.

He's a pragmatic politician, and politically minded to the core, which is a strike against him in my opinion. That is what drove his support of John McCain, after all. He wanted to be next, and well, that just sucks.

But as far as his conservatism, he's getting a little bit of a bum rap I think. When he came into office, and he had a conservative legislature, he governed as conservatively as one could have wished for in this liberal state. When the GOP lost the legislature, he did what he could to stem the tide on taxes and spending and still remain viable. Throughout his second term, the GOP in the state legislature shrunk in numbers each cycle, and the pressure on him grew. He ended up compromising on some things, but they were never his initiatives, and there was immense pressure. At one point he even issued controversial executive orders to defund health care entitlements.

His one cardinal sin against conservatism for which blame cannot be shared with liberals was his embrace of Global Warming and support of cap-n-trade. But since the climategate scandal he has unequivocally called his support a mistake, and come out strongly against it. That might be rank political opportunism, but my suspicion based on how he governed was that his support for Global Warming and cap-n-trade was the political opportunism, and his recanting is where he is most comfortable. He is NOT and never has been a big-government Republican. He's a low-taxes, small government guy.

In spite of his weaknesses, if he's the nominee, he'll get my vote. He's a good man, and VERY difficult to demonize.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:23:30 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »
I can't disagree with much of what you wrote IDP.  I would also add that Newt first sat side by side with Clinton on entitlements...IMO the GOP lost a lot of momentum in taming that beast once that idiot did that!  So Newt, Romney & Huck are scratches for sure.  Once the slate becomes clearer I'll no doubt add more to my list.  T-Paw frustrates me, more because I think he does have conservative impulses...I think he lacks courage and conviction, doesn't like to get out front...and Lord knows in the times we're in, we need a true leader to step up and lead...I fear T-Paw is too cautious.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:11:21 AM »
Thank you for the thought process.
Are the front runners (Romney, Newt and Huckster) really front runners or are they media frontrunners?

Can the Tea Party/Conservatives get a candidate nominated?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »
Mostly media I think, but if I recall correctly, didn't Romney have the most votes at CPAC?

:P

::unknowncomic::

I am hoping the Tea Party has a lot to say when the primaries & caucus nights roll around.  But there has been so much effort pumped into the early going in recent elections that once someone gets out front, the herd mentality takes over and delegates feel they need to rally around the leader.  So that makes it easier for the party favorite with the best organization to navigate, and the best organized isn't always the best candidate, as we've painfully learned!

We'll have to see, but it will be incumbant upon all of us to get out and be active in this cycle, or we may very well be faced with another Faustian bargain!

That, as I've said often, will be the death knell of the Republican Party.

ETA - Let me also add, anyone advanced by The Butthead (Rove) is automatically on my scratch list, no exceptions!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 10:02:42 PM »
Politician essentially suck eggs and anything else they can get their mouths on ::rolllaughing::

I'm looking for that individual that embraces the Constitution as inspired by God, all other's can drop f***ing dead.

Besides, do you think that there will be a country left after the Supremes, the Congress and the establishment press so derelict in their duty?

I'm the best man to be President but I haven't the money or the name and way to many skeletons in the closet.

Can you imagine a President that would be the exact opposite of Obamakov? One that rescinds all those EO's tells Congress and the Nation the absolute truth regarding entitlements and proceeds to impliment serious draconian costs cut to bring the country back into the black and restores freedom of economics, crosses out 2/3 of the existing government, destroys the illegal income tax arrest Obamakov ::rockets::, for usurping the POTUS, arresting all this complicit in this whole F***ing conspiracy. Locks up Soros and shake the stolen money from his pockets(children too). Have the Justice dept go through the records of all the conspiritors and all their contacts in and around the planet. Eliminate the 9th circus of appeals(biggest joke ever). Etc...
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 10:42:18 PM »
We've broached this subject before......And I understand and respect everyones stances. Democrats spend. They tax......but obama has taken this to the highest plateau. I can't in good conscience not vote...I could say screw it, let the dems have it, we deserve what we get....But we don't deserve this "new direction", it is destructive far beyond an extra tax or an extra regulation.

As I said before, any dem but obama.  I'll fight like hell to get a true conservative, but if it is between obama and a rino, I gotta pull the lever for the rino, then go back to work with a young tea party to transform my party to one which embraces the conservative principles we need.

But have no doubt I understand and respect the frustration and the stances of many here.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.