Author Topic: Pepsi use of cells derived from aborted fetus ruled as ‘ordinary business’  (Read 1998 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
LARGO, FL, March 5, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Pepsi Company, which is set to release the new product Pepsi Next in the coming weeks, is facing a more robust boycott as pro-life activists protest the company use of cells derived from an aborted fetus in flavor-enhancing research. But Pepsi has succeeded, with help from the Obama Administration, in keeping its controversial operations from consideration by its shareholders.

In a decision delivered Feb 28th, President Obama’s Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) ruled that PepsiCo’s use of cells derived from aborted fetal remains in their research and development agreement with Senomyx to produce flavor enhancers falls under “ordinary business operations.”

The letter signed by Attorney Brian Pitko of the SEC Office of Chief Counsel was sent in response to a 36-page document submitted by PepsiCo attorneys in January, 2012.  In that filing, PepsiCo pleaded with the SEC to reject the Shareholder’s Resolution filed in October 2011 that the company “adopt a corporate policy that recognizes human rights and employs ethical standards which do not involve using the remains of aborted human beings in both private and collaborative research and development agreements.”

WHAAAT?!

I'm .... speechless.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/obama-agency-rules-pepsi-use-of-aborted-fetus-is-ordinary-business
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I kinda think that it will be real easy to spread the word that Pepsi Next is made with human fetuses as an ingredient. That's diabolical, and universally abhorrent, regardless of where one stands on life. It's so diabolical, it almost seems like something that Coca Cola would concoct as an urban legend. But alas, our government is more diabolical than any imaginable  soda-war propaganda.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
More information, IDP:

Though Rosenberg states there is nothing on the company website linking Senomyx with HEK293, a little Googling turned up a patent issued in 2008 for "Recombinant Methods for Expressing a Functional Sweet Taste Receptor," in which a line item mentions HEK293.

So what exactly is HEK293? It's a cell line that started in the 1970s from human embryonic kidney cells. The line was cultured by scientist Alex Van der Eb in the early 1970s at his lab at the University of Leiden, Holland. Since then, the cell line has been cultured and grown in laboratories (you can buy some here). It's primary use is as a protein or a protein vessel -- sort of a natural test tube. It's also pretty common and seems to be available at most laboratory supply companies and used by many R&D facilities. In short, maybe not such a big deal.

So what does all of this mean? Is this "action alert" yet another rant by the right wing to draw attention to itself and delay scientific progress? In my opinion, yes. Children of God for Life has also issued news releases warning parents that childhood vaccines are made with aborted fetus cells. The cells they're talking about have "technically" originated from aborted fetus cells, but it's not like scientists are putting fetus body parts into blenders while laughing. Think of the fetus cells as sort of "ancient ancestors" to the new cells that are readily used today as "building blocks" and receptors in many commonplace scientific experiments in universities, hospitals, and commercial labs.

I would rather see cells being cultivated and grown in labs for use in experiments than the heinous wholesale torture and experimentation on laboratory animals. True, some of the experimentation is frivolous (who gives a rat's ass about finding out if something is sweeter than sugar -- use sugar sparingly and let's call it a day), but evil? I think not. This seems like just another way the religious right wants to set science and progress back to the "good old days" -- when people died from the common cold and the only way you could sweeten your iced tea was with sugar.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/2011/03/are_aborted_fetus_cells_helpin.php

It doesn't appear to me this is a conspiracy cooked up by Coke; it appears to be very real.

More here >>>

http://www.examiner.com/holistic-wellness-in-national/pepsi-kraft-and-nestle-products-use-aborted-fetal-cells-for-flavoring
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was cooked up by Coke - only that it is so diabolical, it's almost that absurd, except that it's real.

It's disgusting. Even if human embryonic cells aren't technically "in" the Pepsi, the fact that a human cell derivative is used in a commercial beverage - I just have to think that such a thing becoming widely known would send almost everyone off the high end of the disgust meter.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
I wish I was only disgusted.  I'm quite blown away.  Shocked.  Immensely sad.  I fear for us as humans ...

God must be quite pissed ...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
I heard about this months ago and told my husband.  He switched back to Coke immediately.

Coke was in business with the same company providing this service to Pepsi but ended their relationship.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:32:29 AM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline radioman

• A Regular
Are wee going to become Cannibals eating our Young?
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

charlesoakwood

Mmmmm yummy, this is something the public can get a hold of;
thigh steaks and rump roasts, America's on the Donner Road to Hell.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Oh come on! No one posted it?
IT'S PEOPLE!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Not really up to mocking on it.  It's ... sickening.

charlesoakwood

It's craven, horrendous.
People should rail en mass against this.
Rush and Levin should be talking about this.

BUT

Oh no, we're not putting human parts in your food we're just using the "information"
derived from our investigations. 

Pukes

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Soylent Pepsi...we should flavor our streets with their exec's, eh?  I mean, where is a line drawn?

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
Gives a whole new meaning to Pepsi Generation

Pepsi Generation Vintage Commericial

"Come alive. You're in the Pepsi Generation."
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Sick, evil bastards.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
It's a cell line that started in the 1970s from human embryonic kidney cells.

And you thought Mountain Dew just looked like piss...   ::stirpot::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
from Pepsico.com

Our products can be found in nearly 200 countries around the globe. PepsiCo offers the world's largest portfolio of billion-dollar food and beverage brands, including 22 different product lines that each generates more than $1 billion in annual retail sales.

Click on the link and you will discover the hundreds of brands they own.

Fortunately, the only item I buy occassionally is Lipton and that's usually because I'm at a store withh limited choices. Plenty of other teas out there.