Author Topic: Copyrights and royalties  (Read 2597 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Copyrights and royalties
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »
I'll grant him that losing the wife and daughter probably messed up his head for good. 

Writing some of those old lyrics in Canada now, can probably get you arrested.

Are Rush going to ban their music during things like the KQ morning show?  Or is this just posing in a "Conform or be cast out" sort of thing?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
I'll grant him that losing the wife and daughter probably messed up his head for good. 

Writing some of those old lyrics in Canada now, can probably get you arrested.

Are Rush going to ban their music during things like the KQ morning show?  Or is this just posing in a "Conform or be cast out" sort of thing

Dunno, you posted the letter; however, I suspect it's the latter.

Do we get to assimilate your bus smiley into our collection?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
Grab it up.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »

Talk about stupid.  Did someone other than a band member write and arrange for them?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »
Grab it up.

Thank you!

I put it in the [more] box.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »

Talk about stupid.  Did someone other than a band member write and arrange for them?

I'm not a Rush fan, but the song credits should mention who did the lyrics.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »

No, those three guys are IT. They are known for not allowing outside influence into their music. They were so off the beaten path in their heyday that they basically gave the middle finger to their record label by writing long, epic, non-radio-friendly opuses when the label was demanding that they write pop songs.

The lyricist is the drummer, Neil Peart. To my knowledge, lyrics have not been written by anyone but him since he joined the band after the first album. If anyone else wrote any lyrics, it would likely have been one of the other two guys, or a collaborative effort between the three.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:01 PM »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
Once again I can't boycott someone (or something that I don't patronize. I never could stand the canuck band - to the point of changing stations when one of their "songs" was played.

Don't let the door hit ya on your azz on the way out.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
I can't fault Netflix for reiterating their policy of no political shows, in the environment of today.  They're just a business staying neutral.  I don't fault that.  It's up to the people to decide our future, not a business.  If they do, fine, I might even search out their product to see if I like (Angel Soft toilet paper.)  If not, I won't hold it against you.

Rush picked this fight by holding Limbaugh to a different standard (Conform of be cast out.)  That I will not forgive.  Off my Facebook page you go, so no more spam of albums and tours.  Frankly they haven't put out a good album since reuniting anyway.  All are worse than anything (Caress of Steel included) they did before, so they won't really be missed.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
It's perplexing when someone seems so close to getting it, but for whatever reason can't connect the final few dots.  I suspect, without knowing for certain, that it's the same with Pink Floyd.  The cautionary imagery of their music (especially The Wall), the fear of a pervasive collectivist state, was woven throughout their work, especially the Roger Waters period.

I've noticed that lots of liberals project these traits onto imaginary foils that are invariably some sort of allegedly right-wing entity, yet if they'd look at the real world they'd see those traits are more commonly manifested in decidedly left-wing states.  Even today the popular understanding of the political spectrum is that on the very far left you have Communism, and on the very far right is Nazism. It's such a fatuous understanding, yet it's so thoroughly embedded in people's minds that they think you're insane to point out that Nazism was very much a left-wing ideology.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly