Author Topic: Doomsday Bunkers  (Read 2183 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Doomsday Bunkers
« on: March 18, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »
I vaguely recollect this show mentioned elsewhere.  We caught several episodes last evening (re-runs); very interesting.  The show features one company that will fabricate almost anything one can dream up.  Most are buried.

Gunsmith sez now he wants his own underground bunker.

One of the episodes included a voluminous-haired youngish wife who claims she's worried about Gaia taking back the planet.

::)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Doomsday Bunkers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »
I vaguely recollect this show mentioned elsewhere.  We caught several episodes last evening (re-runs); very interesting.  The show features one company that will fabricate almost anything one can dream up.  Most are buried.

Gunsmith sez now he wants his own underground bunker.

One of the episodes included a voluminous-haired youngish wife who claims she's worried about Gaia taking back the planet.

::)

Unless you have near unlimited resources, the underground bunkers are of questionable value, IMO.

Its just too damn easy to stop up the air vents and wait for you either to emerge and fix them or die inside and then work on busting a way in.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
I don't knoooooww, Weisshaupt.  The enemy has to get close enough to do that.  Most of the ones we saw had surveillance systems, and not just for the immediate area.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
I don't knoooooww, Weisshaupt.  The enemy has to get close enough to do that.  Most of the ones we saw had surveillance systems, and not just for the immediate area.

Yeah, that is the point. You see me blocking up the air, and getting my snipers and men into position, and you have to unlock the door and come out to do anything about it. If you have a remote sentry rifle you can pop up it will help, but at some point you have to reload that gun too, and the we dash out and make sure it doesn't come up again.. i.e. you need at least two.

Bunkers are great if you are trying to withstand a nuke, bombings  or gas, not so great against people on the ground.  Better than a stick built home from a penetration perspective, but no one is going to cut off the air to my stick built home.  A Hybrid dwelling is probably better.  Have a bunker/safe room as a fall back position, but you can't just go hide in it and have this work.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »

Leave your bunker and I will let you breathe!
                                                               Bwahahahahaha

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »
I would take high ground over underground any day of the week. Defensible space surrounding it would be nice. So would well water, a year's worth of food and ammunition.

OTOH, having an alliance with many like minded people is the best. That old saying about no man being an island is true.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »
  I think part of the point is to put it where people don't know you're there. You're supposed to surprise them.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
Yeah, that is the point. You see me blocking up the air, and getting my snipers and men into position, and you have to unlock the door and come out to do anything about it. If you have a remote sentry rifle you can pop up it will help, but at some point you have to reload that gun too, and the we dash out and make sure it doesn't come up again.. i.e. you need at least two.

No, I see your men the minute they step on my ground.  I don't wait until they're on me, shutting off my air.  I'm marking their positions and out, stalking.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 05:38:42 AM »
I remember as a youngster when bomb shelters were the big thing with "forward looking" people . It was around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis that the father of my friend , Clark , decided to build a bomb shelter in their back yard . It was a do-it-yourself affair and became a cause celebre among the kids in the neighborhood . It was fun watching Clark's dad furiously digging a big hole in their backyard with nothing more than a pick and shovel . It was even more entertaining to watch Clark's loud and wild protestations while his dad used Clark's "Slip 'N' Slide" as a liner for the shelter just before he poured the cement . Of course they never did drop the big one and Clark's unwilling contribution to the survival of democracy was all for nothing .... although it did make that summer more interesting ! I found out later , though , that the other parents in the neighborhood considered Clark's dad to be "a nut" .  ::whoohoo::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:50:46 AM »
I still like the idea of a small underground unit to cache valuable items, I am not a natural burrower so I'd like not to be stuck in a confined space.  I'd rather be sneaking about the forest targeting prey.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »

No, I see your men the minute they step on my ground.  I don't wait until they're on me, shutting off my air.  I'm marking their positions and out, stalking.

Thus, once you are outside the bunker and stalking, you are  defeating the purpose of a bunker.  Correct?

Say I have 10-20 guys with me. Maybe some women and children. We are armed, but you have no way of guessing our intentions. We may have wandered into your perimeter to forage and or hunt. We may wander out again  in a day or so, none the wiser of your location.  Do you engage?

You are not going to be able to pull a Die-Hard and take us all out one at a time,  and an attack on one would probably result in an immediate all out hunt and search for you. Yes you have a territorial advantage, but during the search we will most likely discover your bunker, air-vent system, solar array, whatever, and will now have a reason for attacking it.
We may of course discover it while hunting or foraging.  The fact that it does not appear to be a standard dwelling clues us into the fact that you have prepped and probably have valuable food stores, ammo, power, etc.

I am not saying having an underground bunker is a bad idea. I am saying its a bad idea to not have a standard dwelling above or near it.  Hell, the standard dwelling could be 100% decoy and you could fill it with a disabling gas - thus killing or putting to sleep any intruders. Point is, a standard dwelling will make an obvious target and they won't be looking for air vents , steel doors or other entries. Hell they might wander straight past your position  because they assume you live in the house. Hell, they might see the house, realize the land isn't vacant and leave to forage or hunt elsewhere and avoid a conflict with you.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
I am not saying having an underground bunker is a bad idea. I am saying its a bad idea to not have a standard dwelling above or near it.  Hell, the standard dwelling could be 100% decoy and you could fill it with a disabling gas - thus killing or putting to sleep any intruders. Point is, a standard dwelling will make an obvious target and they won't be looking for air vents , steel doors or other entries. Hell they might wander straight past your position  because they assume you live in the house. Hell, they might see the house, realize the land isn't vacant and leave to forage or hunt elsewhere and avoid a conflict with you.

There ya go!  Won't disagree with that at all.