Author Topic: Climate craziness of the week  (Read 1508 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Climate craziness of the week
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
Eugenics is making a comeback with climate optimized human engineering.

Bizarre stuff from The Atlantic, though it seems even Bill McKibben is panning him and when you can’t sell Bill McKibben on crazy, well, you’ve entered a whole new plane of crazy. Me? I welcome our new smaller climate optmized green cat-like overlords. – Anthony

How Engineering the Human Body Could Combat Climate Change
By Ross Andersen The Atlantic

From drugs to help you avoid eating meat to genetically engineered cat-like eyes to reduce the need for lighting, a wild interview about changes humans could make to themselves to battle climate change.

One human engineering strategy you mention is a kind of pharmacologically induced meat intolerance. You suggest that humans could be given meat alongside a medication that triggers extreme nausea, which would then cause a long-lasting aversion to meat eating. Why is it that you expect this could have such a dramatic impact on climate change?

Liao: There is a widely cited U.N. Food and Agricultural Organization report that estimates that 18% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions and CO2 equivalents come from livestock farming, which is actually a much higher share than from transportation. More recently it’s been suggested that livestock farming accounts for as much as 51% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions. And then there are estimates that as much as 9% of human emissions occur as a result of deforestation for the expansion of pastures for livestock. And that doesn’t even to take into account the emissions that arise from manure, or from the livestock directly. Since a large portion of these cows and other grazing animals are raised for consumption, it seems obvious that reducing the consumption of these meats could have considerable environmental benefits.

Your paper also discusses the use of human engineering to make humans smaller. Why would this be a powerful technique in the fight against climate change?

Liao: Well one of the things that we noticed is that human ecological footprints are partly correlated with size. Each kilogram of body mass requires a certain amount of food and nutrients and so, other things being equal, the larger person is the more food and energy they are going to soak up over the course of a lifetime. There are also other, less obvious ways in which larger people consume more energy than smaller people—for example a car uses more fuel per mile to carry a heavier person, more fabric is needed to clothe larger people, and heavier people wear out shoes, carpets and furniture at a quicker rate than lighter people, and so on.

And so size reduction could be one way to reduce a person’s ecological footprint. For instance if you reduce the average U.S. height by just 15cm, you could reduce body mass by 21% for men and 25% for women, with a corresponding reduction in metabolic rates by some 15% to 18%, because less tissue means lower energy and nutrient needs.

In your paper you suggest that some human engineering solutions may actually be liberty enhancing. How so?

Liao: That’s right. It’s been suggested that, given the seriousness of climate change, we ought to adopt something like China’s one child policy. There was a group of doctors in Britain who recently advocated a two-child maximum. But at the end of the day those are crude prescriptions—what we really care about is some kind of fixed allocation of greenhouse gas emissions per family. If that’s the case, given certain fixed allocations of greenhouse gas emissions, human engineering could give families the choice between two medium sized children, or three small sized children. From our perspective that would be more liberty enhancing than a policy that says “you can only have one or two children.” A family might want a really good basketball player, and so they could use human engineering to have one really large child.

“We figured that if everyone had cat eyes, you wouldn’t need so much lighting”

Read the whole bizarre thing here: How Engineering the Human Body Could Combat Climate Change

These UNsane people posit such heresies through publication and they're allowed to go as though they are not a danger to humanity.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Climate craziness of the week
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
Unbelievable.

They really are all in on this now. Completely brazzen and open.

Yes its liberty enhancing to let others decide how many (and what types) of kids you may have. See we just siad you could have three - gentically manipulated munants  instead of limiting you to 1 or 2! Don't you feel empowered?

100 years ago this guys bio-ethics professor would have been commited or killed as a monster.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
Unbelievable.

They really are all in on this now. Completely brazzen and open.

Yes its liberty enhancing to let others decide how many (and what types) of kids you may have. See we just siad you could have three - gentically manipulated munants  instead of limiting you to 1 or 2! Don't you feel empowered?

100 years ago this guys bio-ethics professor would have been commited or killed as a monster.

Comment at the article:

"The sleeper cells have been activated."
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »

Five happy cats in a cage, introduce one crazy cat and all the cats start behaving abnormally.
Introduce one crazy cat leader and all the crazies come out.  Get a shoe! Get a shoe!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »

Five happy cats in a cage, introduce one crazy cat and all the cats start behaving abnormally.
Introduce one crazy cat leader and all the crazies come out.  Get a shoe! Get a shoe!

I don't think a shoe will get the job done with those crazy cats. ::rockets::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:00:29 PM »
Why don't they start with the 3rd world, I heard they have the biggest CO2 footprint in the world now, greater than that of the evil west.  I know I'd be better if this ilk just killed themselves and saved us a lot of time and expense.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.