Author Topic: Burnsville Man Arrested, Jailed for Siding Code Violation  (Read 1020 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Burnsville Man Arrested, Jailed for Siding Code Violation
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
Here’s how a simple code violation spiraled into a criminal case

Mitch and his wife Jean say it all began back in 2007 when they received a letter from the city of Burnsville saying, in part, "you must complete the siding of your home."

“We were in the process of finishing,” Mitch insists. “This wasn't something that we were trying to avoid doing.”

But in 2009 there were two more warning letters, and in 2010 yet another--this time requiring Faber to appear in court. Burnsville leaders provided 5 Eyewitness News with these 2010 photos of the Fabers' home as proof there was a problem.

“I was expecting maybe a $700 fine,” Faber said. Instead he was given an ultimatum -- finish the siding or go to jail.

So Mitch returned to his house and he and Jean say they spent about $12,000 putting a stucco façade over the plywood exterior. They thought they were finally in compliance. They were wrong.

Faber was then taken into custody in November 2011 after Burnsville inspectors ruled the work was still not satisfactorily completed.  A warrant for his arrest had been issued when, according to the city, Faber failed to turn himself in because the house was still not up to code. Faber is adamant it was. Regardless, what came next, he says, was absolutely uncalled for and humiliating.

“I'm walking around in a green and white jump suit, I had to shower in front of a sheriff, I was shackled, my wrists were handcuffed to my waist — for siding.”

“It was insane,” said Jean. “Absolutely insane.”

After two days locked up, a judge agreed Mitch should be released but required him to submit to electronic home monitoring. In Dakota County, that process requires participants — no matter what their crimes -- to blow into a drug and alcohol device every time an alarm goes off.

“They could call me at 2 in the morning and they did,” Faber said.

H/T Drudge
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Burnsville Man Arrested, Jailed for Siding Code Violation
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
OBEY your masters and you'll have no problem, people!
/
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
This is just unbelievable - yet all too believable. I don't even know what else to say. I feel like making somebody pay, and it didn't even happen to me.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
The Laaaaand of the Freeeeee, and the Hooooome of the Braaaaave!

::puke::

I would call it a sick joke, but it's all too real and tragic. Is that what all those guys died for in the Revolution? In WWII? This crap will continue and it will get worse unless and until it becomes literally dangerous for the perpetrators. And the perpetrators ain't people like the Fabers either.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
The Laaaaand of the Freeeeee, and the Hooooome of the Braaaaave!

::puke::

I would call it a sick joke, but it's all too real and tragic. Is that what all those guys died for in the Revolution? In WWII? This crap will continue and it will get worse unless and until it becomes literally dangerous for the perpetrators. And the perpetrators ain't people like the Fabers either.

What's the saying, "politics is personal"?  Yep.  Start local, work uuupppp.

When we were building our garage, the County Health and Sanitation bitch threatened to cut the power off to the house unless we toed the line.

She didn't say "I'll HAVE it cut off"; she said "I'LL cut it off".

She's one of the multiple reasons why and how I got right the hell here 'tude wise.

I WILL NOT comply.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:04:54 AM »
Instead of stucco , a fresco of Stymie would have gotten him off the hook !

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:56:45 AM »
Asses should be fired for ridiculous crap like this!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.