Author Topic: Good-bye Norma Jean - 85th anniversary of her birth, 3/19  (Read 1997 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Good-bye Norma Jean - 85th anniversary of her birth, 3/19
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »

I love this last one.

86 photos

Collected from neo-neocon blog post, where she writes:

The time has come to debunk once and for all the myth that Marilyn Monroe was fat, or even somewhat heavy.

Curvy, yes indeed. Well-endowed, most assuredly. But heavy? Not a bit ...

Now, flash forward to “Some Like It Hot,” probably Monroe’s most well- known film, seen by the greatest number of people. It was made in 1958, five years after “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,” and released in 1959. Here we strike pay dirt; Monroe really was a bit heavy in that film. Here’s the scoop on why Monroe carried some extra poundage in that movie when she played the role of Sugar:

Marilyn Monroe was pregnant during the filming, as a result she looked considerably heavier. She had no known children and several miscarriages in her life. Due to her pregnancy, most of the publicity still photos were posed for by both Sandra Warner (who had an uncredited role as one of the band members) and Monroe’s frequent stand-in Evelyn Moriarty with Monroe’s head superimposed later.

I’ve read elsewhere (can’t find the link right now) that Monroe was at least four months pregnant when filming “Some Like it Hot.” From personal experience I can tell you that for most women there’s significant weight gain by that time. But although Monroe’s weight fluctuated somewhat at other times (perhaps also due to pregnancies followed by miscarriages?), if you look at almost all of her other films or stills, you will see a slim-but-curvy woman who would not be the least bit out of place among the stars of today, although she never veers into the too-skinny near-anorexia of some of them.

Although Monroe was voluptuous, anyone who says Monroe wore a size 16 is just plain wrong, or using a completely different sort of sizing than exists in the US today. Monroe had a 22-inch waist. ‘Nuff said.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Good-bye Norma Jean - 85th anniversary of her birth, 3/19
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 05:06:53 AM »
In a way it's probably better that she didn't live to be an Old Bag .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:52:27 AM »
I was thinking the same thing SH!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:00:28 AM »
The in-flight movie last week as I returned from vacation was "My Week With Marilyn." I decided to watch.

I rather enjoyed it, even though such films aren't usually my thing. It's a romance, but it's really the story of Marilyn's mega-stardom as seen through the eyes of Great Britain, a young Brit assistant director to whom Marilyn turns for emotional shelter, and the Brits and Americans on the film crew of a film directed by Sir Lawrence Olivier. Supposedly it is a true story as told by the assistant director. Olivier is played well by Kenneth Branaugh - frustrated because as an accomplished actor who wants to be a movie star, he sees what he views as a talentless movie star getting the accolades that have escaped him - and her frailties and lack of classical training are viewed by him as liabilities, even as he is awed by her beauty and star power.

Michelle Williams plays Monroe. I have no idea who Williams is, but she did an excellent job portraying Monroe as a multi-faceted, somewhat naive woman not fully comfortable with the movie star facet. I give this one a thumbs-up.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson