Author Topic: I'm the scruffy one in red and black  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
I'm the scruffy one in red and black
« on: May 05, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
I know some of you fish and my brother and I won our Senior bass event on lake Guntersville. 25lbs. Great day.

And no, I normally do not wear a beard. It's playoff hockey time and its my playoff beard. And no, I am not from the backwoods and yes, I know that pic looks like I was born of my sister.

http://www.seniorbassanglers.com/
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Re: I'm the scruffy one in red and black
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
...and yes, I know that pic looks like I was born of my sister.

*Insert witty comment about Alabama here*  ::angel::

Seriously though, nice fish - gratz!!  ;D

What're ya gonna do with all your winnings?  ::thumbsup::

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »
...and yes, I know that pic looks like I was born of my sister.

*Insert witty comment about Alabama here*  ::angel::

Seriously though, nice fish - gratz!!  ;D

What're ya gonna do with all your winnings?  ::thumbsup::

Money goes into our boat fund. We usually buy a new one every 3 years, but because of the great economy, we haven't been able to sell our yet.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »
Dude! Congrats!

Can I ask what was the winning technique? Bait/color/presentation? Rod/reel/line combo? Water conditions/depths/cover/structure?

If you don't wanna share publicly, PM would be great. The likelihood that I'll ever fish at Guntersville without you as my guide is nil, so your secrets are safe with me!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:58:48 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
New boat = sweet!  ;D

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »
I don't fish but I've known enough people who do to understand the magnitude of that accomplishment. Well done.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »
Well done, O Scruffy One in Red and Black!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
Dude! Congrats!

Can I ask what was the winning technique? Bait/color/presentation? Rod/reel/line combo? Water conditions/depths/cover/structure?

If you don't wanna share publicly, PM would be great. The likelihood that I'll ever fish at Guntersville without you as my guide is nil, so your secrets are safe with me!

I don't mind.

Rod: BPS Johnny Morris 7' MH, fast tip Reel: REVO Line: 15LB floroclear Lures: topwater.  Spittin Image and zara spook (Tn shad pattern)

All topwater except for large fish (5.87) came on 10" worm on ledge.  We found LARGE bass spawning about 3 weeks before our Tournament. We went back one week before and the bass were off bed, and we could only catch a few of the buck bass.....but that's what we wanted. Normally, after the spawn, the large females become lethergic for a few days before they put on the feed bag. We went back and the feed was on. The females were feeding and we caught around 20 bass in the 4.5- 5 LB range and culled out our limit of 25LBS. They hit topwater til 11AM. We left to fish ledges and that's were I caught the largest fish.

Honestly, it was one of the best days I've ever had fishing and it hit on a tournament day. Now, there is no where to go but down.....LOL

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »
How fun is THAT??? I LOVE the topwater bite.

When we go to Lac Suel for Wallys we always come back in for dinner, and then go out for a couple hours before dark with the topwaters for Smallies - Skitter-Props seem to be the fave. It's the most fun way to bass fish, IMHO. Nothing like those pigs breaking the surface and thrashing your bait.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
Nice job! 

::beertoast::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
I remember as a kid vacationing on Lake Guntersville....loved it.

Congrats on the derby!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 03:45:09 AM »
Hmm. Senior Tourney? Fish from 10 to 11, take 2 hour nap, fish from 1 to 2. Weigh in, take nap. ::hysterical::

Congrats, Don!! Quite an accomplishment!! ::beertoast::

And anybody who doesn't like topwater bites doesn't have a pulse!!
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 05:27:02 AM »
I know some of you fish and my brother and I won our Senior bass event on lake Guntersville. 25lbs. Great day.

And no, I normally do not wear a beard. It's playoff hockey time and its my playoff beard. And no, I am not from the backwoods and yes, I know that pic looks like I was born of my sister.

Are you saying that not just any seedy looking bum can catch a fish that big ?  ;D

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 06:50:36 AM »
Nicely done!  Congrats!
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »

Are you saying that not just any seedy looking bum can catch a fish that big ?  ;D

It was not my best picture. First of all, I have to wear the hat to keep the friggin sun off everything. Next, on the way in, it began to rain...and hard. So hard, the bilge was pumping but the water was still over my ankles inside the boat. I don't know what it is, but the wife is still laughin' at me for what she is calling "that look" on my face. Like I ate a canary or something.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 06:38:55 AM »
Hey, anybody fishing in bad weather is gonna look a little gamey.   ;D

Seriously though, nice pair of bass!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.