Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 59234 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2016, 10:09:20 PM »
Arya's wolf Nymeria might still be around too, possibly.  That's the one she set loose in the forest so it wouldn't be killed for biting Joffrey.

RIP Summer  ::USA::

::thinking:: ::whatgives::  Can't remember but I hope you're right

! No longer available

Somehow I think her wolf is going to come back at some point in the story.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2016, 08:03:35 AM »
Having read all the books except the last one published, I was always disappointed that Martin didn't make more of the dire wolves and their connection to the Stark children. But that is Martin's way - don't give the readers what they expect based on literary traditions of the genre.

I have been even more disappointed in that aspect of the series. The wolves relevance is downplayed even more. They're cool, but not as cool as they were in the books, which, in my opinion, wasn't quite cool enough. So much of what Martin writes causes one to anticipate what ultimately leads to a dead-end.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2016, 01:48:23 PM »
Agreed.  I haven't read the books, but even just from watching the series it seems like the direwolves should be a bit more prominent.  The direwolf is the sigil of House Stark, and each Stark child getting a direwolf of their own paralleled the old Targaryen siblings each having their own dragon -- which echos the larger parallel of Fire and Ice.  The Targaryens are Fire, the Starks are Ice.

On the same note I've also felt Dany's dragons are somewhat underused.  I suppose they're being saved for something more climactic, but still I'd enjoy seeing her enemies cower before the dragons more!

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2016, 06:57:17 AM »
Yeah, more dragons.

And I am trying to remember what is on that logo/icon doohickey in the intro...there is a dragon, a wolf, what were the others?  Bear?  Raven?  Anyway...you'd think they'd be important...

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2016, 11:30:32 AM »
Seeing the recent episode the logo thingy is dragon, wolf, stag, and bird (eagle/raven...likely raven)...

Anyway...

Not having read the book and realizing earlier comments of IDP who I think has read them...they don't always stay to script here...but apparently a surviving Stark Uncle saved Bran...which answered the "how?" on that score I had previously...

The real mystery to me is who is this dude in chains?!   ::whatgives::

Nice to see Dany riding Puff again.

And I find it hilarious that the High Sparrow outflanked the Lannisters...but I guess a weak-minded bastard king and a princess willing to do anything will do that...

::hysterical::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #185 on: June 05, 2016, 10:48:14 PM »
The Hound is back!  Yes!

I've been thinking he would come back at some point, because they made a point of Arya leaving him still very much alive in that final scene.  Plus the episode where he had a trial by combat with the Brotherhood Without Banners and kills Beric Dondarion, that episode dropped a big hint.  Dondarion was brought back to life by a Red Priest and he told the Hound "The Lord of Light isn't finished with you yet."

Since they seem to show the Hound becoming religious, in the Faith of the Seven, do you suppose he might end up as the Sparrows' champion to face off against Cersei's champion (his brother The Mountain)?  He's also currently in the Riverlands, which is where the Blackfish is.  That could result in him meeting up with Brienne, Sansa, Jon Snow and company if they traveled there to meet the Blackfish.  Interesting how the plots are beginning to merge.

ETA - and yes, Bronn is back too.  Two of my favorite characters: Bronn and The Hound.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:53:42 PM by Glock32 »

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2016, 07:28:36 AM »
Bronn is a crusty old bastard...but in a fight crusty old bastards are who get the job done, but he has a dry wit about him that makes him likable.

I too thought about The Hound and The Mountain facing off, and not sure yet if they plan to snuff Arya or see her recover but these people seem to like inducing that kind of doubt.

I do like the quickening pace, I just hope we don't see it end in a fizzle or splinter into a thousand questions.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:03 AM »
I think they made a point of showing us that Arya overheard two Westerosi merchants talking about the Ironborn being in Slaver's Bay.  I would guess Theon is on her list, so she might head that way which would bring her plot into contact with the Danaerys/Tyrion plot.

I do wonder though about her survival.  This show famously bumps off major characters.  I think she'll make it though.  Somehow I think she's going to encounter Lady Crane, who will get her medical care.  I also think Jaqen is going to be angry because he told that girl "do not let her suffer" yet she gut stabbed Arya.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »
Could be right.

Jaqen doesn't appear to suffer from much guilt if his orders are not met.  No doubt our darling 'lil assassin will be disappointed into what Theon has become...not that it would hold her knife from plunging into his heart...had he still been with Sansa perhaps he's have a chance to live...but hey if I had my (wince!) manhood severed...death would look pretty good.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
I'm not sure why I was surprised to see Yara making out with a woman.  Yeah, she's very mannish and all that, but something about it still seemed gratuitous.  One of the few complaints I have about this show is that the homo sh*t is overdone, IMO.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2016, 07:33:53 PM »
   ::popcorn::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2016, 07:28:50 AM »
I was wondering how a girl can "bleep the tits off" another...but I suppose we should be glad they left it at that.

In the grand scheme of things how big a fan base is the phagg/dyke/confused community with GOT?

I wonder what their reaction would be if the poofer in the High Sparrow's dungeon was defenestrated Muzzie style?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
Last two episodes have been really good.

Last ending seeing Arya vanquish her tormentor and tell Jaqen her name and where she is going...I think his smile indicated he knew this all along and molded her to this end.

Last night with dragons and battles and bastard Bolton meeting a just end was delicious.

Of course being beholden to that snake Little Finger is problematic.

And is the RedWitch about to be...judged?

I like the pace, and the pieces coming together.

::thumbsup::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »
Yes good stuff.  I have been struggling for multiple seasons now trying to come up with a suitably awful way for Ramsay to finally meet his end.  Being fed to his hounds was at the top of my list, right up there with being flayed living.  There's a poetic justice in turning his own methods of torture back on him.  And the great irony is his hounds probably would have been loyal to him, had he not deliberately starved them.

But yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what comes next from the Littlefinger angle.  By this point Sansa is pretty savvy, particularly when it comes to his machinations, so I hope she has an idea in mind.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »
Yes good stuff.  I have been struggling for multiple seasons now trying to come up with a suitably awful way for Ramsay to finally meet his end.  Being fed to his hounds was at the top of my list, right up there with being flayed living.  There's a poetic justice in turning his own methods of torture back on him.  And the great irony is his hounds probably would have been loyal to him, had he not deliberately starved them.

But yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what comes next from the Littlefinger angle.  By this point Sansa is pretty savvy, particularly when it comes to his machinations, so I hope she has an idea in mind.

He couldn't marry her mother so he's going for her in her place and become ruler of Winterfeld and the kingdom he rules now.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2016, 12:39:41 AM »
I think one thing we witnessed that was not apparent aside from context: I believe that Jon Snow will discover that he cannot be killed. His avoidance of death during the battle contained dozens of coincidences that prevented it. He was teed-up to die time after time, and just when he was about to be killed, something happened to stop it. That's one thing GoT never does.

Melisandre is gonna read all kinds of things into that.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2016, 03:19:48 AM »

::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »
That new twisted bastard flavor canine's crave!!!

::laughonfloor::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »
  A death fit for a morsel I mean asshole.   ::vafancoul::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:08 PM »
I would've liked to have seen Ramsay Bolton suffer a bit more. I was hoping Sansa would torture him.

- Thomas Jefferson