Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 59371 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2016, 11:11:32 AM »
She still has Littlefinger to mess with...after all, he used her to secure his place...twice in fact...so a few troops to the rescue in the Bolton affair hardly balances the scales...

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »
I'm ready for Sansa to stop being a victim and start playing the Game of Thrones herself. If dealing with Ramsay Bolton didn't mold her into a woman with iron resolve, nothing will. I want to see her deal with Littlefinger in the way he deserves.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »
She can tell Littlefinger she doesn't owe him sh*t.  Bringing in the Knights of the Vale was him owing her -- for using her as a pawn to the Boltons, and she also saved his ass when the vassals of House Arryn wanted to pin Lysa's murder on him.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »
Also I agree I could have done with a bit more drawn out torture of Ramsay.  All along my three desired deaths for him were feeding him to his own hounds (check), flaying him alive like he did to so many others, or burning him alive as an offering to the Lord of Light.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2016, 08:15:35 AM »
Cut his angry inch off and stuff it in his serpent mouth...then do all three above.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
She can tell Littlefinger she doesn't owe him sh*t.  Bringing in the Knights of the Vale was him owing her -- for using her as a pawn to the Boltons, and she also saved his ass when the vassals of House Arryn wanted to pin Lysa's murder on him.

Plus, the Vale is sworn to House Stark. If she (as it looks like she is preparing to do) assumes the role of Lady Stark of Winterfell, it was Littlefinger's duty to come to her aid.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2016, 08:56:43 AM »
I saw a preview for next week's episode that somewhat confirms my suspicion voices earlier, that Melisandre made Jon Snow immortal. In the preview, Ser Davos is yelling at her to "Tell him what you did to him!"

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2016, 09:01:50 AM »
Is that what that preview was about? I thought it was about what she did to his favorite little princess?

::whatgives::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2016, 10:14:12 PM »
Wow.  The plot lines are really converging now.  Finally we see Danaerys going to Westeros.  Looks like she will be landing in Dorne and marshaling her forces there, apparently in unison with Elaria and the Sand Snakes, and with Olenna Tyrell -- all of whom are now driven entirely by a desire for revenge against Cersei.

It's going to be interesting to see how Sansa navigates the new complication with Littlefinger.  Now that the North has declared Jon Snow their new king, there is a direct conflict with Littlefinger's stated ambitions and Sansa is squarely in the middle of it.

So it also looks like Danaerys intends to forge alliances through marriage.  Who?  Perhaps even Jaime Lannister?  Jaime seemed disturbed by what Cersei has done.  All of their children are dead now.  His uncle is dead.  Jaime is now the head of House Lannister, and will need legitimate heirs.  Perhaps Danaerys and Jaime would be a mutually beneficial joining of Houses?  Yes, he did murder her father the king, but she also knows her father was a madman.  Plus perhaps Tyrion has put Jaime into a more positive light.

Or might she end up with Jorah Mormont after all?  She dispatched him to find a cure for his greyscale disease, and you would think as a nobleman of Westeros he would have been aware that Stannis's daughter Shireen Baratheon had been cured of hers in infancy.  I suspect he's gone to track down anyone who could lead him to further info about how Shireen was cured, which will bring him into contact with Davos (and thus with Jon Snow and the whole Winterfell plot).

Ugh.  10 months before we will know any of this.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2016, 07:32:06 AM »
Should be some epic ass-kicking the likes of which Westeros hasn't seen in eons.

And nice to see little Arya putting her new skills to work on the Frey's.   ::thumbsup::

And now we know who John Snow's mother was, thanks to Bran...and speaking of Bran is he far enough away from the White Walkers?

And is cutie-pie Margaery vaporized off the show?   ::cussing::

I was getting tired of the High Sparrow so I can't say I'll miss those clowns...or for the loss of the simpering fool Tommen who defenestrated himself because of his mothers vicious act, which no doubt won't go over well with the people of King's Landing despite any distaste they may have had towards the Sparrows...and more importantly one of their few viable means of defense as just been spent, making an invasion much easier militarily and a citizenry tired of Lannister plots and slaughter could be easier for someone like Varys to turn into allies.

I like that Bronn guy...but unless he switches loyalty...he'll burn with the Lannisters.

And I agree the byplay between Sansa and John Snow and Littlefinger is going to be dicey.  That bastard Littlefinger has a habit of surviving...and if his instincts are still functioning he'll realize going against Snow is doomed to failure...his only real play is to join the alliance...but he also has a history of playing both sides.  If I were Snow I'd have him quietly removed.  Perhaps little Arya can help with that?  Or Brienne when she shows up.

Next season should be a blast.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
  That was like a scene from the god father. She settled all family business in one shot. Snow is not next in line for that title.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:14:24 PM by John Florida »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »
I think Jon might actually pull a Theon and tell the lords of the North that they're right about the North being led by a Stark of Winterfell, but that they're wrong about it being the King in the North: it is actually the Queen in the North.  Sansa.  She is the reason the battle for Winterfell was won.  She is the trueborn heir of Ned Stark.  Particularly with the revelation of Jon's actual parentage, which he will eventually learn for himself.

The theme emerging is one of women taking the positions of power.  Danaerys of course, but now also we see Yara Greyjoy contending for the Iron Islands, and now Cersei sitting on the Iron Throne and ruling in her own name.  Then there's also Elaria Sand and the Sand Snakes taking over and ruling in Dorne.  It's becoming the Seven Queendoms.

It's going to be Sansa the Queen in the North, Yara the Queen of the Iron Islands, and Danaerys the Queen of Everything Else.  My theory for now anyway :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:39:00 PM by Glock32 »

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2016, 07:17:53 AM »
10 months...

Well, there's always DVDs and seeing if I missed anything the first time through, eh?

God knows there isn't sh*t else out there worth watching.

Last night I caught a little of the Rise of the Barbarians series on some damn channel...given our current state of affairs I longed for the days when people didn't puss out.  I guess GOT kinda fits that niche too.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:56 AM »
Game of Thrones  is really expensive no matter how you slice it. I am sure its good, but I am not willing to pay that much yet.
While also full of the gaying of the things, Orphan Black has been somewhat entertaining for us.
Or just admit defeat and start watching the Anime I recommend.  Once you get over the fact that you are an adult watching a cartoon,  you might find that the sotries are, in fact, pretty well written and generally have you yelling at your tv less about stupid xyz thing a character just did out of character or irrationally ( see wayward pines for examples)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »
So at least for now, my hunch about Snow's immortality is not confirmed. It appears that Ser Davos was saying, "Tell him what you did to 'er", referencing Princess Shireen being burned, not "Tell him what you did to him," as I thought I heard in the previews.

But watching that battle scene again, it's hard not to determine that there was something supernatural at work keeping Snow alive. Whether Melisandre's dark witchcraft, the "Lord of Light", other deities, or just fate, they made a point to make it obvious that Snow was dodging certain death more times than could be accounted for by coincidence or being a badass fighter.

Now that we know for sure that Jon is half brother to Danerys, the "Fire and Ice" plot line is beginning to hone to some kind of point.

That season ender was EPIC. Perhaps the best episode of the series so far.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »
On the other hand they also vaporized the gay right off the show.

Just sayin'.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2016, 07:17:32 PM »
  I was right Little Finger wanted her.  If the crippled Stark gets home he's the rightful king.But I believe the youngest daughter is going to play a big role yet.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
I wonder how Tyrion is going to do with Danaerys allying herself with Ellaria Sand and the Sand Snakes.  They murdered his niece Myrcella, and Tyrion was very fond of her, remarking how she had none of Cersei's awfulness in her.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »
He'll get over it...snakes can be discarded after being used.   ::evil::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2016, 08:13:59 AM »
With the officially announced 15 episodes until the series finale, there's not much time remaining for some of these subplots to play out.

- Thomas Jefferson