Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 59299 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2019, 11:55:58 AM »
I signed the dumb fruitless petition to remake the entire last season, just to register my disappointment.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
There's a petition?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2019, 05:28:51 PM »
It was rushed, no doubt.  I read somewhere the producers wanted to wrap it up quickly so they could move on to more lucrative opportunities, like Star Wars.

I'm not that disappointed HOW it ended, just that it was obviously rushed.  Kind of like Babylon 5, 4th season, when they thought they wouldn't have that fifth season to finish their story.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #283 on: May 23, 2019, 07:12:26 AM »
https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

Halfway there...though I don't expect the producers to care if it is 3 million...maybe ten times that...maybe...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2019, 06:09:11 PM »
I read somewhere where the prequels are just Martin's excuse for being too lazy to do the real work of finishing his existing story.  Martin's writing career is done.

Now an HBO treatment of the Wheel of Time saga would be a winner.  Yes, I gave it a second try and now I'm hooked on that.

Wheel of Time is epic reading, but there is SO MUCH detail and character development that could never translate to the screen. As those books expand, they expand exponentially, the primary characters become so numerous that keeping track of them is monumental. Plus, it just gets downright weird... and unlike Martin, Jordan is loathe to ever kill off any characters, so new additions are always additive.

Idunno... I’d watch, for sure... but I’m just skeptical that it could be made to work, unless the showrunners completely departed from the literature.

We'll get our chance to see for ourselves.

http://collider.com/wheel-of-time-tv-series-cast-rosamund-pike-amazon/

If they're making this as a girrrl power thing, forget it.  It's failed, already.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2019, 11:19:52 PM »
I read somewhere where the prequels are just Martin's excuse for being too lazy to do the real work of finishing his existing story.  Martin's writing career is done.

Now an HBO treatment of the Wheel of Time saga would be a winner.  Yes, I gave it a second try and now I'm hooked on that.

Wheel of Time is epic reading, but there is SO MUCH detail and character development that could never translate to the screen. As those books expand, they expand exponentially, the primary characters become so numerous that keeping track of them is monumental. Plus, it just gets downright weird... and unlike Martin, Jordan is loathe to ever kill off any characters, so new additions are always additive.

Idunno... I’d watch, for sure... but I’m just skeptical that it could be made to work, unless the showrunners completely departed from the literature.

We'll get our chance to see for ourselves.

http://collider.com/wheel-of-time-tv-series-cast-rosamund-pike-amazon/

If they're making this as a girrrl power thing, forget it.  It's failed, already.

It was a pretty female oriented body of work. The Aes Sedai were central to the whole thing.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2019, 05:29:58 AM »
Well, the guys have a small part in this, also, at least into book 4.  Plus, Rand is the most powerful of all.  The way that piece was written, only the women wield the power.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2019, 08:06:30 AM »
Well, the guys have a small part in this, also, at least into book 4.  Plus, Rand is the most powerful of all.  The way that piece was written, only the women wield the power.

Yeah, that would suck. Jordan went out of his way to make the female characters equally as important to the story, but if they mess with SJW BS in the TV show, it’ll be lame.

- Thomas Jefferson