Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 59323 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »
Ahh, interesting.  I was wondering if it was something like that -- like that world's version of a funeral requiem or something.  Did you know that from the books, or is it something you read about afterward?

After seeing it, I recollected it from the books, although it was at least 10 years ago that I read them, so I'm not sure how accurate my recollection is. I know the song title is definitely from the books - and maybe the lyrics too - and the show made mention of it a few times in foreshadowing. If you go back and watch the series, you'll hear that song played more than once. It's kind of like the Lannister theme, and it played that role in the books.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »
  Can't wait for it to start.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »
Write Like the Wind (George R. R. Martin)

I will start this ONLY after its done.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:52:25 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
I don't know if anyone has read the "Wheel ot Time" fantasy series by Robert Jordan. Epic doesn't even begin to describe it. 14 books in total - ranging in the neighborhood of 800-1200 pages in hardcover.

Jordan was a funny looking little troll of a fat man like Martin. My wife and friends and I who loved to discuss the books would often joke that Jordan was going to die before the books were finished. It was obvious around book 7ish or so that the story was so massive; the main characters so numerous; the created world so sprawling and complex; the numerous plots so simultaneously interwoven and disparate; that the next book was never going to be the last book.

Well, he died. Fortunately, before he did, his publishers demanded that he provide a coherent and specific outline of how the story was to play out and ultimately end. He did it, and after his death, the publisher (his wife) auditioned and hired a fella named Brandon Sanderson to faithfully complete the last three books in the series. He did a really, really good job. You really couldn't tell it wasn't Jordan's work, with few exceptions. They even credit the books to Robert Jordan, with Sanderson as a secondary credit.

I think the same thing is going to happen with George R.R. Martin. I don't want to predict someone's death - and I guess I'm not even doing that. I'm just saying that he's going to die before the books are ever written. He'd be smart now to be creating detailed notes and making sure his estate has legal rights in proper order for any derivative work created after his death.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Help me out with Jordan.  Tell me why I couldn't get into Wheel of Time, but I instantly got into Game of Thrones.  I read book 1 and it was a chore to finish.  Never felt like reading another.

As for finishing, Martin has already stated that Whatever of Winter isn't happening in 2015.  That's it, isn't it?  After next season the TV show has run out of books?

Heh.  My wife, who doesn't like violent movies, can't watch Game of Thrones fast enough.  I assume, season 4 is the next "Big Wedding", right?  Haven't watched it yet.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »
Idunno Hawk. I personally don't know anyone who's read the Jordan books who didn't like them. They are a bit overblown with adjectives. Perhaps lengthy detailed description of every single component in a scene isn't your bag?

Another decent series in the same genre is the "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. He actually unfurls a bold conservative flag a few books into it. He decisively takes the story from pure fantasy to a detailed manifesto against collectivism.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
I am now current on Game of Thrones, waiting for Season 5 to start.  I like how the individual story arcs are slowly beginning to coalesce.  When the "god" under the tree told Bran "you will never walk again...but you will fly" I am assuming this means he's going to enter the consciousness of one of the dragons, i.e. the large dragon that is currently missing from Danaryes.

As an aside, my ranking of "Hottest Chicks on Game of Thrones" now places Margaery at the top of the list.  Something slightly unusual but mucho sexy about her look.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Game of Thrones Negro Outrage: The "Sand Snakes" are too Whitish
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
You can't make this sh*t up.

The "Sand Snakes" - the bastard Martel daughters from the land of Dorne - are supposed to be "dark skinned" according to the books. The Game of Thrones series has cast them as - get this - dark skinned.

But see, swarthy complexion and dark hair are not good enough for Today's Grievance-Negroes™. No, the actresses cast to portray the Sand Snakes are too Whitish in their features.

http://www.styleite.com/news/sand-snakes-or-snow-snakes-new-game-of-thrones-casting-is-already-causing-controversy/

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
Tired of them, of it, of everything.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 11:37:32 PM »
I bet they really enjoyed the plot lines of Daenerys -- with her pale skin and platinum blonde hair -- being virtually worshiped by all the little brown urchins she frees from the slave cities.  I bet the cultural commentators at places like Slate and Salon got themselves worked up into quite a froth of rage over that.

I wish GoT were set in actual medieval Europe just so there would be no non-white characters at all, just to piss them off.

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 06:35:09 AM »
There would be non-whites Glock, they'd be the Moors being slayed by the likes of Charles Martel.  Let them get in a lather about that...see if I care any less.

::stirpot::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
So Season 5 is now in full swing.  Discuss.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »
Can't.  Don't watch it; won't.  I have a decade or more on some of you and I tell you I am disgusted by much of what passes today for entertainment.  I mention age because I have not become jaded through more exposure, but sickened.

I had to stop watching Sons of Anarchy.  I lasted through almost the first episode of the final season and turned it off for good.  Same with Vikings -- it's just another version of Sons, long ago and Norse.  I don't allow the sex bullsh*t in my face either; Sex in the City, Modern Family -- bah! -- Sister Wives ...... the list goes on as my viewing preferences narrow.

I recognize these are most probably truthful representations of men and women throughout history and I told myself to look at them in order to get a full measure of that for which we are in store, yet I couldn't.  I wouldn't.  It will come, soon enough, and I refuse to steep myself in depravity one full beat before I must.

Excuse the rant, carry on.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »
I get your point Pan. But I like watching GoT, nonetheless. I groan with disgust every time they do some homo sh*t, and I think the show would be every bit as good without the overt sexuality. But I watch in spite of those things because I like the genre, and everything else about the show is high quality.

Kudos to you for following your moral compass in your TV watching. It's admirable to guard your heart, eyes, ears, mind, and spirit.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 05:49:14 AM »
Yeah, I got on my moral high-horse there a bit and I didn't intend to denigrate your choices, IDP, or that of others, so thanks for being gracious about it.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2015, 06:58:25 AM »
So, is now a good time to admit I've been trying to get caught up on this stuff?   ::saywhat::

I'm kinda jumping in mid-stream so I suppose I ought to pick up from the start and work it all threw...

Just my personal opinion...more dragons, less (zero!) phaggs, please.

And for the record Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer) is definitely a hottie! 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 08:00:46 AM »
The King Joffrey (any resemblance to the little boy who occupies our White House is purely coincidental) poisoning was well done.

Yes, I'm always a year behind those of you who shell out $20 per month for HBO.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »
One of the more enjoyable aspects of being a racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe is that I don't have to dance around all squirmy-like trying toward any pretense. I don't care for or about phags - don't GAF about their agenda, don't want them breathing my air.

I celebrate the discomfort that my attitudes bring about to hypocrites. They sniff and wrinkle their nose at me and voice their displeasure. And I say, "don't like it? Leave!" Why would I voluntarily surround myself with such people anyway?

Oh, and nice rant Pan - keep it up!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 09:44:24 AM »
I almost forgot.

Game of Thrones? Never saw it. And now that I know they have fudge packers in it I never will.

::devil::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
Here's the thing about the fag scenes, which I was discussing with some coworkers.  Everyone I know has mentioned that they have a viscerally negative reaction to it, and shield their eyes.  This includes people who are otherwise accepting of homos (and I used to be that as well -- accepting -- that is until it became obvious their agenda isn't about "tolerance" at all).  I consider the unconscious and visceral reaction people have as proof that healthy people know they are seeing something repulsive and unnatural, no matter how much effort is made to normalize it.

And yes Libertas, Margaery (Natalie Dormer) is my fav too :).  On a show with an ample supply of attractive females it's tough to pick a favorite, but she has an almost feline look.  A real kitten!

- Yours Truly