Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 59358 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »
Well.  I'm not on Team Stannis anymore.

What a dick move that was.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »
They'd been hinting that it would happen all the way back to Season 2 when Melisandre kept talking about how valuable "King's blood" is for a sacrifice.  Still though, I kept thinking maybe something would happen at the last second, like maybe Davos had lingered behind out of suspicion or something.

I've read about how this is very similar to the Greek myth of Agamemnon, who at the behest of his mistress Cassandra sacrificed his own daughter to secure victory over Troy.  In that story, his wife is distraught and kills him and the mistress too.  Definitely very similar story.

I'm betting on Stannis being killed by Brienne, and Melisandre by Davos.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

That's a good bet on both counts.

Although I could see it going otherwise. Both Davos and Selyse have plenty of good reason to kill both Stannis and Melisandre.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
They'd been hinting that it would happen all the way back to Season 2 when Melisandre kept talking about how valuable "King's blood" is for a sacrifice.  Still though, I kept thinking maybe something would happen at the last second, like maybe Davos had lingered behind out of suspicion or something.

I've read about how this is very similar to the Greek myth of Agamemnon, who at the behest of his mistress Cassandra sacrificed his own daughter to secure victory over Troy.  In that story, his wife is distraught and kills him and the mistress too.  Definitely very similar story.

A good story is a good story.  IIRC George Herbert mentions Agamemnon in his Dune series, I think starting with the God Emperor book.

And after Stannis and his witch get theirs...I hope the Bolton's get theirs next!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »

A good story is a good story.  IIRC George Frank Herbert mentions Agamemnon in his Dune series, I think starting with the God Emperor book.

And after Stannis and his witch get theirs...I hope the Bolton's get theirs next!

FIFY  ::beertoast::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »
I kind of want the Boltons to get burned alive by Stannis and Melisandre first, and then those two to be offed by some combination of Brienne/Davos/Selyse.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »
Why did I write George?   ::facepalm::   ::bashing::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
I kind of want the Boltons to get burned alive by Stannis and Melisandre first, and then those two to be offed by some combination of Brienne/Davos/Selyse.

I can live with that.

As long as the dragons still have some tasty meals left!   ::whoohoo::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2015, 10:16:31 PM »
Well, love it or not they are cutting threads.  Like IDP said, Snow and the walk of shame stuck to the book.

I hope the dragon is tired and needs rest and doesn't croak.

Who are these horsepeople?

Guess we'll have to wait to find that out and if Sansa and the gelding escape...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »
I think the horse people are Dothraki.  She took off that ring, was that something Khal Drogo had given her?  I wonder if the new Khal is that lieutenant of Drogo's, the one who refused to follow Danaerys after Drogo's death.

I was also concerned about Drogon.  I think he's just exhausted and the spear wounds probably aren't helping.  Glad to see Varys finally show back up.

Overall though, I found that to be an unsatisfying finale.  They're starting to get a bit formulaic in the whole "we'll just kill anybody" department.  I think Jon Snow will survive.  I suspect Melisandre will save him with some of her magic.  It's no coincidence that she and Davos just happened to show back up at Castle Black at the right time.  There will probably be a teaming up of Jon Snow, Davos, Melisandre, and the Wildlings -- at least until Davos learns the truth of what happened, and decides to kill Melisandre.

The whole Dorne story this season has come across as hastily written.  I knew when that woman, Oberyn's paramour, kissed Myrcella she was doing so with poisoned lips.  Kinda stupid though, because the poison took effect while the ship was still in sight of land.  Why wouldn't Jaime just turn the ship around and be like "WTF treachery is this?"  Unless he suspected Prince Doran, but that wouldn't make sense because the prince's own son was on board that ship, and his marriage to Myrcella would cement an alliance with the royal family.  Jaime would have to know who was responsible, especially since Bronn had been poisoned with the same thing.

It'll be interesting to see how Cersei takes her revenge with the Frankenstein monster.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »
I thought we were done with the Dothraki, they always seemed too simple-minded, superstitious and cultish...kinda like Islaminals.

I don't think Dany or Jorah will be happy to see Varys, we'll have to see if he lives or not...they have to find/rescue Dany first though.

They will kill anybody anytime, but I think IDP said that is also the way the writer of the books has it too.  I think Jon is gone...unless he becomes a white-walker because his stupid mutineers neglected to burn his body.  Those creatures are going to reap all of the north in short order.  And I say Davos slays the witch.  At least there is one slaying that is well deserved.  Should be staked out naked and slowly chewed upon by wolves.

Myrcella's demise was totally predictable, and as she was the least offensive and most normal and innocent of the incestuous bastard children it is yet another unnecessary death in this kill-anybody genre.  But hey, the Red Wedding really kicked the slaughtering into high gear, so after that nobody can legitimately be too surprised by anything.

I think the High Sparrow did enough to piss Cersei off to perhaps create a enough rope with which to convict herself of the crimes yet to be adjudicated, but the murder of her daughter is going to interrupt that line a bit I think...she'll send Frankenstein to Dorne first.

The Arya stuff just gets weirder and wherever that is leading who knows.

And they haven't done anything more with the Frey's, the Greyjoy's and the Iron Born, the Tyrell's...maybe waiting for walkers to advance on them?  And Bran, who I suspect will intersect with Dany's fate in Westeros at some point.  This is the tale of fire and ice, right?

And did Brienne slay Stannis?  Never really saw the kill, did we?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »
No, we didn't see Brienne actually kill him, so who knows.  His last words to her were "do your duty," and we know how duty-bound Brienne is.  I wonder if that suddenly jogged her memory that her duty to Catelyn is to protect the Stark girls.  She might keep Stannis alive and use him as a means of obtaining entry to Winterfell.  Sort of a "look who I have!" temptation for the Boltons.

If Jon Snow is truly and finally dead, that's just stupid.  One theory is that he may have warged into his direwolf, Ghost.  I still think Melisandre is going to do something though.  We saw that the other Red Priest, Thoros of Myr, had the ability to bring someone back from death multiple times.  I just think it's too coincidental that she shows up at Castle Black right before Jon gets knifed to death by his own men.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »
With fantasy powers anything is possible...it's like the over-played "time-travel" trick in science fiction...they can fiddle with the how but simply put it is a plot device to revive any character and/or story line...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
  Chubby and family got out just in time  he may have a part to play in the taking of revenge.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
http://youtu.be/CuH3tJPiP-U

About bloody time!  Apart from an occasional hockey game...the idiot box has nothing but CRAP coming out of it!!!

Git-r-done!

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
Man, get Netflix and/or Amazon. So much good stuff. Longmire, Gotham, Vikings...

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »
I'm close to pulling the plug...I'll get nothing and like it.

After GOT is over...

:D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2016, 02:04:49 PM »
Man, get Netflix and/or Amazon. So much good stuff. Longmire, Gotham, Vikings...

We have both.  After watching the above named, and the few movies I cared to watch, now we're just wasting money.  There's doo-doo crapcrap on there as well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »

We have both.  After watching the above named, and the few movies I cared to watch, now we're just wasting money.  There's doo-doo crapcrap on there as well.

We do the Amazon/Hulu combination.  (Plus Crunchyroll $8 for Anime and Manga  and Funimation $4 for just anime)
Hulu I use to watch stuff I just never finished: Sliders, Outer Limits. They had the complete Dr. Who reboot  till recently when BBC pulled the plug on them.
On Amazon we tend to do the pay-per-season thing.  So Big Bang, Haven, Orphan Black, Under the Dome, Falling Skies at between $10-20 a season.  But even at $2 an episode, you are still better off than paying for Cable and its world of crap. 

And I know I keep pushing the Anime, but I have really enjoyed many of the titles I have watched recently - and they can all be streamed as well.  IN fact Hulu has a decent anime collection - including my favorite - Steins;Gate.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Hulu and Netflix discs.  All services are limited in movies, and with Netflix discs, you can watch anything that exists.