Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 59313 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »
Season 6 premieres tomorrow.  I am definitely excited for some Daenerys and Margerie....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:22:55 AM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
Yup. Looking forward.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »
About time, seems like forever!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2016, 08:03:22 PM »
 It's 9:02 P.M. and it just started but the wife is watching a comedy that ends at 9:30 so thank God for TiVo.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2016, 09:59:06 PM »
John didn't pull through.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2016, 11:43:17 PM »
Well now we know what the cafeteria lunch lady looks like in the buff....   *shudder*

I still think John is coming back.  Melisandre is going to do something, once she gets out of her "reenacting that scene from The Shining" funk.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2016, 08:19:32 AM »
I dunno, would have to be something in it for the witch...  (shudder)

What's with the dragon?  A few spears to protect mommy and its in a funk?  Walk, er, fly it off!   ;D

How long until people find out Old Sword has the stone disease?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2016, 09:12:01 AM »
I actually welled-up with tears when Brienne of Tarth came to the rescue of Lady Sansa, and when she took her oath of fealty. What Brienne was literally living for, and what Sansa needed more than oxygen, finally came to fruition. Lord knows what they'll face now, but it sure felt like a tide turned in that moment.

Such an awesome moment in film. Theon beginning to shed the persona of "Reek". Sansa taking comfort in him, even though she knows he betrayed Robb and Catelyn. Watching Sansa, struggling to come to grips with the reality that her nightmare appeared to be over, and unable to remember the words of the oath, having been so far removed from ever hoping to reclaim nobility. Podrick gently reminding her what to say. Brienne, nearly enraptured that her sense of duty and loyalty had finally found a home.

Just awesome.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2016, 10:16:11 AM »
That was a good scene.

Of course God knows what is growing inside poor Sansa though...   ::speechless::

She isn't entirely out of the woods...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2016, 11:24:55 AM »
And what became of Stannis?  I may need to rewatch that scene from last season, but I don't think Brienne killed him.  Not yet.

eta - The actress who plays Brienne confirms Stannis is dead, though she may have just been having fun with the interview: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3161787/How-doubt-Brienne-Gwendoline-Christie-confirms-Stannis-Baratheon-no-character-kills-screen-Game-Thrones.html

I just find it odd that a show that never shies away from gore and violence would keep the death of this major character conveniently off screen.  That article also discusses the theory that Melisandre will somehow resurrect Jon Snow, since we know at least some Red Priests are capable of it.  The actress who plays Melisandre reminds us that we have never seen her character show such an ability, but she does also remind the reader that someone in Season 3 (Thoros of Myrh -- another Red Priest) has.  Melisandre would know where Thoros is.  He's already in Westeros.  That group of outlaws he's with could also be a potential safe haven and base of operations for the Night's Watch fugitives.  That's my theory!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:36:02 AM by Glock32 »

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
But her arm swung...?

And in the new episode there was a query about "who finished him off" or something to that effect...indicating somebody found the remains...

?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
You're right, that was Roose Bolton asking Ramsay if he knew who had delivered the killing blow.  I wasn't sure if they meant "we found the body" or "given the scale of this slaughter, we assume he's among the dead somewhere"

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »

True. I think that's part of what made the scene so monumental for me - the fact that while her circumstance is absolutely dire by any measure, this is the first moment since she watched Eddard's execution that she has any hope at all. She has been endlessly accosted, used, and had every rug yanked out from under her. Now she has a brute of a woman promising protection and loyalty to the death.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2016, 04:06:02 PM »

True. I think that's part of what made the scene so monumental for me - the fact that while her circumstance is absolutely dire by any measure, this is the first moment since she watched Eddard's execution that she has any hope at all. She has been endlessly accosted, used, and had every rug yanked out from under her. Now she has a brute of a woman promising protection and loyalty to the death.

If ever caught without her protector all she'd have to do is put a dagger to her belly and announce she'll kill herself and her "son" even if it isn't a son, just to get bad guys to back off, so yeah she has more upside...then again this is GOT, how many times have we seen hope end in a bloody mess?

We'll find out.

Should have a Lannister invasion of Dorne coming up soon too, though I don't know what those broke pretenders are going to pay with, IOU's?  Works in the real world I guess...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »
I was a bit disappointed that Prince Doran and his bodyguard were killed off that quickly.  We never got to see the bodyguard make good on his supposed combat prowess.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2016, 08:33:19 PM »

If ever caught without her protector all she'd have to do is put a dagger to her belly and announce she'll kill herself and her "son" even if it isn't a son, just to get bad guys to back off, so yeah she has more upside...then again this is GOT, how many times have we seen hope end in a bloody mess?

We'll find out.

Should have a Lannister invasion of Dorne coming up soon too, though I don't know what those broke pretenders are going to pay with, IOU's?  Works in the real world I guess...

Not before she kills all of the people that put her through the walk of shame. Her guardian we all know is the Mountain and he brother/sex partner is back and there will be hell to pay.Not to mention his sons wife is being held by that bunch of nut cases.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2016, 08:19:39 AM »
Kings Landing seems ripe for rebellion, could be it is in flames before anybody form the outside has a chance to act...

And Margery might slit weak hubby's throat and his maniacal mommy if she ever gets out of that cell!  Hey, I'd pay a dollar to see that.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2016, 09:58:50 AM »
I wonder if there's a chance Cersei and Margery might actually have cause for an alliance now?  Cersei of course had disdain for Margery, and it was her attempt to use the religious zealots against Margery that got herself swept up into this mess in the first place.  Now they've both been imprisoned and each have reasons to see to the elimination of this High Sparrow and his order of enforcers.

I'm not quite sure what Cersei expected to gain from a personal war against Margery.  Doesn't she want her son, the King, to remain on the throne and possess legitimate heirs through Margery?  Did she expect to have her son be a bachelor king, with her and Jaime as the real rulers behind the scenes?  How long could she maintain that sort of arrangement?  Kings are expected to produce heirs.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2016, 11:06:57 AM »
It's part of the joy I guess of being bathsyt crazy, thinking you are speshul!

Wouldn't be surprised if Cersie's head ends up on a pike, fitting given what her first bastard son did to old Ned.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2016, 11:15:01 PM »
Episode 2 summary:

"Ramsey sends his regards."

- Yours Truly