Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 59331 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2019, 06:16:21 PM »
We just finished binging the series from the beginning two weeks ago... the whole story fresh in the mind for the final season. I saw one of those fan speculation videos that said Bran is the Night King... It made a fun case to ponder, but not super convincing. I think Jaime has finally put Cersei behind him. I think that scene of her threatening him with the Ser Gregor zombie, and him riding away from King’s Landing alone... coupled with an extended trailer I saw with Jaime saying, “I vowed to fight for the living” or some such... I think he’s destined to turn into a good guy and probably die for a good cause. It is the archetype... but then GRR Martin doesn’t give much credence to archetypes... we learned that with how easily he dispatched Eddard Starks head.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:36:15 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2019, 06:25:11 PM »
Have my subscription to HBO Now set, ready for Season 8 starting April 14th!   ::whoohoo::

It's great in the modern era of streaming.  I can pick these channels up for however long I want, drop them and pick up something else, just like that.  No extra startup fees the cable company would charge for changing packages.  So yep.  Showtime cancelled and will wait until the 14th to pick up HBO.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #262 on: April 07, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
We just finished binging the series from the beginning two weeks ago... the whole story fresh in the mind for the final season. I saw one of those fan speculation videos that said Bran is the Night King... It made a fun case to ponder, but not super convincing. I think Jaime has finally put Cersei behind him. I think that scene of her threatening him with the Ser Gregor zombie, and him riding away from King’s Landing alone... coupled with an extended trailer I saw with Jaime saying, “I vowed to fight for the living” or some such... I think he’s destined to turn into a good guy and probably die for a good cause. It is the archetype... but then GRR Martin doesn’t give much credence to archetypes... we learned that with how easily he dispatched Eddard Starks head.

I will run through last seasons episodes this week as a refresher.  By Bran you mean elder Brandon brother of Eddard?  If Jaime is done with Cersei I wonder if Bronn will continue on with him?  I think not.   And Gendry, Robert Baratheon's surviving bastard is still around...probably still winded from his long run.  And will those left behind across the sea like Daario at Meereen stay put or join the fray?  The witch Melisandre could pop up again too.  And there's the late arriving news of who Jon really is (Aegon Targaryen, sixth of his name) to stir things up.  (Dude, you bedded your Aunt!)  Should be a wild ride.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2019, 12:29:28 PM »
Have my subscription to HBO Now set, ready for Season 8 starting April 14th!   ::whoohoo::

It's great in the modern era of streaming.  I can pick these channels up for however long I want, drop them and pick up something else, just like that.  No extra startup fees the cable company would charge for changing packages.  So yep.  Showtime cancelled and will wait until the 14th to pick up HBO.

It's the only way to go.   ::thumbsup::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »

I will run through last seasons episodes this week as a refresher.  By Bran you mean elder Brandon brother of Eddard?  If Jaime is done with Cersei I wonder if Bronn will continue on with him?  I think not.   And Gendry, Robert Baratheon's surviving bastard is still around...probably still winded from his long run.  And will those left behind across the sea like Daario at Meereen stay put or join the fray?  The witch Melisandre could pop up again too.  And there's the late arriving news of who Jon really is (Aegon Targaryen, sixth of his name) to stir things up.  (Dude, you bedded your Aunt!)  Should be a wild ride.

Yeah, basically the theory of Bran/Night King is that Bran goes into the ancient past and wargs into the Night King in an attempt to stop him, but “lingers too long” (warned against by the Three-Eyed Raven) and remains trapped. There’s several pretty good clues that hint at it, but it’s a stretch....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1mFoDK4sUQ
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #265 on: April 07, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
The promo poster for the upcoming season shows Gendry and Melisandre. Don’t know about Daario.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #266 on: April 07, 2019, 04:51:21 PM »
Could the acting, dialogue, and character development possibly be any better than it is on this show? Every character is just so flippin cool, even the loathsome ones. When Brienne of Tarth shows up on screen, I get goosebumps at how awesome that character is... and that moment... the look on Littlefinger’s face as he realized how f***ed he was, then begging for his life like the sniveling little bitch we knew he was all along... the moment when Arya so coldly and precisely exacted revenge on him... just brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Modern TV > Cinema.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2019, 06:58:45 AM »
Yeah, it is so much better than just about anything else, and the characters, acting and everything make it so.  Too early to start this silliness...but stating the obvious, I am not sure what can replace this once it wraps up.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2019, 09:57:35 PM »
Yeah, it is so much better than just about anything else, and the characters, acting and everything make it so.  Too early to start this silliness...but stating the obvious, I am not sure what can replace this once it wraps up.

Martin has written prequels, and there’s a whole lotta back history written into the Fire and Ice saga. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they weren’t already in pre-production for a prequel series.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2019, 06:53:46 AM »

Martin has written prequels, and there’s a whole lotta back history written into the Fire and Ice saga. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they weren’t already in pre-production for a prequel series.

There's something out there (forget what it is, I thought I linked it somewhere in this thread) in the internets that fills in timeline back to the First Men and Children of the Forest...makes some of the references to the past mentioned in the HBO series that add more meaning to the dialogue.  I hear talk of spin-off's...not sure what or who or when...but it is a valuable franchise with an audience appreciating a quality production.  That doesn't mean any spin-off will succeed, things have to stand on their own merits or fail.

If it is over it is over, I can always watch the whole thing over again if I want to.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
I read somewhere where the prequels are just Martin's excuse for being too lazy to do the real work of finishing his existing story.  Martin's writing career is done.

Now an HBO treatment of the Wheel of Time saga would be a winner.  Yes, I gave it a second try and now I'm hooked on that.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
I read somewhere where the prequels are just Martin's excuse for being too lazy to do the real work of finishing his existing story.  Martin's writing career is done.

Now an HBO treatment of the Wheel of Time saga would be a winner.  Yes, I gave it a second try and now I'm hooked on that.

Wheel of Time is epic reading, but there is SO MUCH detail and character development that could never translate to the screen. As those books expand, they expand exponentially, the primary characters become so numerous that keeping track of them is monumental. Plus, it just gets downright weird... and unlike Martin, Jordan is loathe to ever kill off any characters, so new additions are always additive.

Idunno... I’d watch, for sure... but I’m just skeptical that it could be made to work, unless the showrunners completely departed from the literature.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »
The Dune series is another that deserves a long-term commitment to do it justice...the time spans and uniqueness and characters and critters cannot be done adequately in a movie or short series...the SyFy attempt was a decent attempt...but still had to sprint through events and people.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #273 on: April 30, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »
I guess this is the season of Arya.  Holy shizzle...    ::rockets::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #274 on: April 30, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »
***Spoiler Alert - Continue no further if you haven't seen S8-E3 yet!***

Yup.  There's a new King Slayer in town and she might just have a bit more action before this wraps up.

And Ser Jorah going out in poetic fashion protecting his beloved Khaleesi.

The Red Witch choosing to drop her talisman and end her charmed immortality.

Rhaegal survived the tussle with his former brother turned blue-eyed wight Viserion, and Jon Snow narrowly escaped being roasted by the latter but for Arya's well executed kill.  And Drogon had a host of wights all over him her had to shake off...before returning to console a grieving mother.

The entombed Starks arising in the crypt should have been anticipated but a really good episode.   ::thumbsup::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #275 on: April 30, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »
And notice the same people seemed destined to always come back together, no matter how big of enemies or how much they hated each other in the past.  As you mentioned, Jorah and Khaleesi.  But also, Arya and The Hound, Theon and Bran, Tyrion and Sansa, Jamie and Brienne.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #276 on: May 01, 2019, 07:22:47 AM »
Which begs the question...one of two of those pairs are broken...which ones are next?

Hound?  Jamie?   ::whatgives::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2019, 06:44:47 AM »
OK, somebody make a ruling as to when it's OK to discuss in detail without spoiling it for anyone...some here may not have seen the last episode yet.

All I'll say is I think the "how/who" was preordained once they went down the line they went last season...some chatter is indicating some were disappointed...to those I ask "how else could it have been?" if in fact it was to end?

And lastly for now...who knew Drogon was so wise?   ::thumbsup::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »
I’m dreadfully disappointed in this final season. Not necessarily in the outcome re; who takes the crown. But overall, it is quite obvious that the producers raced to the end, without a care in the world for continuity, or justifying events - particularly deaths of main characters. They tied nothing together in satisfactory ways. They didn’t take any care in making sure that character transformations were believable or logical.

Reality is, they ran out of source material (books) for the last three seasons, and had no clue what to do. They claimed to have Martin’s “outline” for what was supposed to happen - and that’s exactly what they produced: an outline.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2019, 08:24:41 AM »
Yup, once they committed to the Dany/Jon fatal attraction while the will we come back another season or two or not stuff was going on they basically boxed themselves in, and they could have seamed things better with the characters as you say but I am not sure how/when the decisions were made, but it seems to me the see/saw nature indicates a can kicking and the writers had to do what they had to do episode to episode without time to properly flesh things out and so the uncertainty and the lack of time commitment forced the rush.  It is odd that a production that for most of its existence took the time to develop characters as well as develop their demise was forced to rush and mash things through at the end.  Seriously, if allowed to extend even just a couple more episodes in order to better tie things off would have been preferable but it is what it is.  The quality has been so good people got spoiled and it affects expectations, that being said I have no brook with the outcome like you say as well, it makes sense...and I like that some mystery remains.

It is one heck of a series, clearly one of the better things broadcast in a while.

Pretty sure nothing replacing it in my viewing habits...