Author Topic: Florida judge rules red light cameras unconstitutional  (Read 1606 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Florida judge rules red light cameras unconstitutional
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »
LINK

Pasco County Judge Anne Wansboro said that use of the cameras "impermissibly shifts the burden of proof to the Defendant and therefore does not afford due process, and is unconstitutional to the extent due process is not provided."

Red light cameras are just money makers for the local governments. It has nothing to do with safety! ::gaah::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Florida judge rules red light cameras unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »
Hopefully this will make its way into a federal court, and get rid of these things once and for all.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »

If they wanted safe they would have countdown numerals imbedded in the center of the green.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »

If they wanted safe they would have countdown numerals imbedded in the center of the green.

That would discriminate against minorities who can't count and Dyslexic-Americans.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »

We have number countdown with our walk/don't walk signs...I bet you can guess how well that works...... ::facepalm::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »

We have number countdown with our walk/don't walk signs...I bet you can guess how well that works...... ::facepalm::

You'd *think* people would know how to cross the street, in any case, without a damn sign.  Most of us were quite adept, as well, at making left turns across traffic without a damn arrow.  Now, every intersection is an 8-way.  "They" are safe-ing us to death (from aggravation) and I still see accidents in intersections with arrows.

The cameras are the cause of more rear-end collisions anyway.  So much for safe.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:40:01 PM »

It's three o'clock in the morning,
the sighn says WAIT, there's no
traffic. What do you do?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »

It's three o'clock in the morning,
the sighn says WAIT, there's no
traffic. What do you do?

I'm not walking anywhere three o'clock in the morning, so .........

During the hours when decent people are out, I walk when I can do it without becoming a hood ornament, despite what the sign sez.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
I routinely issue my own executive veto of nonsensical traffic regulations, mainly "No Turn on Red" signs.  I've also been at a few intersections where the sensor or timing mechanism of the traffic lights is malfunctioning, meaning my light stays red through multiple cycles.  I'll blow through those too.

As for the red light cameras, soon after they were introduced in Charlotte the local paper dug up some statistics showing that the length of yellow lights had decreased by something like 30% on average since the introduction of the cameras.  Gee, I wonder why?

I detest the "Big Brother Is Watching You" aspect of all these things, and they have no place in a free society. And no, "public safety" is not a compelling argument as far as I'm concerned.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:43:05 AM »
If you drive a motorcycle sometimes the pressure pads are not sensitive enough, then its down to using your own discreation to get across, and I've never suffered any penalty for it.

And I remember AZ flirting with those things, there were some products that worked better than others that would fuzz out the reading of the license plate, and there are the famous pics of people flipping the bird as they cruise by. 

But the things are evil and have no place in a free society, shorten yellows creates more of a safety hazard than anything the damn camera is meant to limit!  Safety issues are usually apparent when intersections and other odd-angle access points cause visibility issues and such and can be fixed through reconstruction or better flow control, we don't need cameras snapping picks and mailing tickets to people for safety!  That's a BS argument meant to hide the fact the cities are too damn cheap and lazy to get off their butts and instead let a cheap machine generate the extra revenue they crave!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.