Author Topic: Doomsday Hippies Gathering  (Read 910 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Doomsday Hippies Gathering
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
A mountain looming over a French commune with a population of just 200 is being touted as a modern Noah's Ark when doomsday arrives – supposedly less than nine months from now.

A rapidly increasing stream of New Age believers – or esoterics, as locals call them – have descended in their camper van-loads on the usually picturesque and tranquil Pyrenean village of Bugarach. They believe that when apocalypse strikes on 21 December this year, the aliens waiting in their spacecraft inside Pic de Bugarach will save all the humans near by and beam them off to the next age.

As the cataclysmic date – which, according to eschatological beliefs and predicted astrological alignments, concludes a 5,125-year cycle in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar – nears, the goings-on around the peak have become more bizarre and ritualistic.

For decades, there has been a belief that Pic de Bugarach, which, at 1,230 metres, is the highest in the Corbières mountain range, possesses an eery power. Often called the "upside-down mountain" – geologists think that it exploded after its formation and the top landed the wrong way up – it is thought to have inspired Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Since the 1960s, it has attracted New Agers, who insist that it emits special magnetic waves.

LINK
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Doomsday Hippies Gathering
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
Have they bought their matching Nikes yet?  The males been castrated?  That's what the Heaven's Gate morons did anyway.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
I think that it would be pretty cool. They are all up on the mountain. Nothing happens. They wait around for a few days and, as hippies do, they wander down from the mountain in search of food, drugs and a place to sleep. All their VW micro-buses have been towed away and sold to cover their parking fines. No one wants to have anything to do with them. Suddenly France has hundreds or maybe oven thousands of hippies wandering the landscape looking for food and shelter.

We need to loan them some all of our OWS people.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:23:25 AM »
Modern day "Millerites" .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »
I need to start marketing purple shrouds!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
I think that it would be pretty cool. They are all up on the mountain. Nothing happens. They wait around for a few days and, as hippies do, they wander down from the mountain in search of food, drugs and a place to sleep. All their VW micro-buses have been towed away and sold to cover their parking fines. No one wants to have anything to do with them. Suddenly France has hundreds or maybe oven thousands of hippies wandering the landscape looking for food and shelter.

We need to loan them some all of our OWS people.

Or maybe...if we are fortunate.....an alien craft will shoot the "Independence Day" ray down on thier collective asses.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.