Author Topic: DC Council to *require* that all high school students apply to college  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Well, if the government can force you to buy something, I guess it can force you to go to college too!  K-12 simply isn't enough time for all the brainwashing that needs to be done.

The high school graduation rate in Washington D.C. has officially been almost twenty percent lower than in cities just a stone's throw away, but this already low figure may have been overestimated by a whopping twenty percent because of an overly generous formula used by D.C. education officials.

Enter D.C. City Council, who have collectively decided that it's time to aim higher:

D.C. students would be required to apply to college or trade school and take the SAT or ACT under the most sweeping education legislation passed by the D.C. Council since a 2007 law set the stage for former Chancellor Michelle Rhee's aggressive reforms. Under the Raising the Expectations for Education Outcomes Omnibus Act of 2012, the District is set to become the first "state" in the nation to require students to apply to a postsecondary institution, according to council staff.

Kwame Brown, the main mover and shaker behind the legislation, can already see the results in his rear-view mirror: "This is a historic moment. It probably won't be felt for another two or three years, but we'll look back on this moment." Marion Barry, the four-time mayor, crack head, and current Ward 9 Councilman, supports the "landmark" and "trailblazing" bill, because --

"The problem we have is so massive. It is so massive."

H/T - Small Dead Animals

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/019667.html
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
What if your goal in life is to take over your family's cafe?

What if you want to join the military?

What if you're a prodigy guitar player, and want to go to Hollywood or Nashville to seek your fortune?

What if you have a knack for sales, and wish to make or break your fortune by the sweat of your brow, education be damned?

What if you're addicted to methamphetamine, and education is not an option until you hit rock bottom and get clean?

What if you're a genius who finishes college level courses with the aid of a tutor by age 12?

What if you just plain don't f***ing want to go to college?

I used to complain about the United States with the caveat that there still is no place better or more free. That sentiment can no longer be taken for granted. I'm beginning to hate aspects of my country because of what this government is doing to it.

I hear Costa Rica is very nice, very civilized, very beautiful, very friendly to Americans, and very free.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Does one apply to colleges for free or is there a fee involved?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Does one apply to colleges for free or is there a fee involved?

Human rights are free, free, free, free, free! Diktats are even more free, free, free, free! And Ponies for all while we're at it!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Oh.  Well.  Then, nevermiiiiind.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Know some folks down there, they love it. 
Been there fifteen years or so.  It is third
world and there are no mega stores and
don't get sick.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
What if your goal in life is to take over your family's cafe?

What if you want to join the military?

What if you're a prodigy guitar player, and want to go to Hollywood or Nashville to seek your fortune?

What if you have a knack for sales, and wish to make or break your fortune by the sweat of your brow, education be damned?

What if you're addicted to methamphetamine, and education is not an option until you hit rock bottom and get clean?

What if you're a genius who finishes college level courses with the aid of a tutor by age 12?

What if you just plain don't f***ing want to go to college?

I used to complain about the United States with the caveat that there still is no place better or more free. That sentiment can no longer be taken for granted. I'm beginning to hate aspects of my country because of what this government is doing to it.

I hear Costa Rica is very nice, very civilized, very beautiful, very friendly to Americans, and very free.

I know exactly what you mean.  You should watch this video posted by Bill Whittle, about his recent trip to Thailand. He talks about how aspects of it are so very Third World -- dirty, dangerous, exploitative -- but how he realized while he was there that it was also something else more so than America: it was freer.

This requirement being made of all students is wrong on so many levels. For one, it is wrong in its assumption that college simply "must" be the natural extension of K-12 schooling, it's wrong in that it seeks to dictate the choices of private citizens, and it's uniquely wrong in a somewhat new way in that it seeks to use its position of authority over minors to control their soon-to-be adulthood.

The creeping expansion of government at all levels has gone simply too far. We are beyond the point of trying to push back on it here and there in a targeted way, no we're into "nuke the entire site from orbit" territory now. Government agencies and departments need to be wholesale dismantled because, to finish the quote, "it's the only way to be sure". Whatever genuinely useful casualties might result from this heavy handed response can be dealt with at some other time and place.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
When 75% of the applications are turned down the D.C. Council will see how truly ignorant their kids are !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
College is not for everyone, anybody who is honest with themselves knows this for a fact.  And once in college not everyone succeeds, even in this day of useless degrees and watered down courses, it's just another fact.  And not everyone qualifies for scholarships and must either incur a pile of debt and/or drain Mom & Pop's account to attend, and if the degree program selected is not marketable or little Jack or Jill bombs out, somebody is left holding the bag.

But of course nothing logical or practical should be discussed, college is treated like a right, right?!

::facepalm::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.