Author Topic: Fantasizing About Horrible Ways For James Cameron To Buy The Farm  (Read 770 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
LINK

The Mariana Trench is located in the western Pacific Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands. It's over 1,580 miles long, 43 miles wide on average, and and at it's deepest point—heroically known as Challenger Deep—it's an amazing 6.78 miles to the bottom. Almost 36,000 feet. Reaching those depths is incredibly dangerous, and James Cameron himself is alleged to have admitted that the mission offered "a lot of ways to die." So what could have gone wrong?

Implosion

The obvious, quickest, and most catastrophic route to failure. A weak spot in materials, a design flaw in the vehicle. Then, as the pressure increased—pop—the dive craft would have buckled. That doesn't mean drowning; it means James Cameron would have been squashed to death, with immense pressures of up to 15,750 psi turning his body into a James Cameron slurry.

More at the link.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Fantasizing About Horrible Ways For James Cameron To Buy The Farm
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
The carbon footprint of that little vanity trip would have been a bitch...

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »
I heard about Cameron's adventure on the radidio yesterday and two thoughts immediately went through my head.

1. What a waste of resources building a cocoon stout enough to survive those depths.
2. Hooray to James for doing what he wants and expanding the limits of human endeavors in the process!

Full disclosure: my irrational fear of enclosed spaces would preclude me from joining him but what a gutsy move!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
The problem with #2 is that Cameron is Tard #1 in working to prevent anyone else from doing the same.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
Yeah, he is a world class hypocrite.  He apparently has a great fondness for firearms, and owns several, but is nevertheless a good and reliable liberal in his advocacy for gun control. Fine for me, but not for thee.

Nevertheless, I do have to give him credit for the movie Aliens. It's great.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly