Author Topic: Beck's Blaze Blows Brotherhood Sting  (Read 5945 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Beck's Blaze Blows Brotherhood Sting
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:54:19 AM »
By now, unless you have been floating on a house in the sea of Japan, everyone should be up to speed on James O'Keefe's latest video sting (Project Veritus) of NPR execs meeting with a presumed Muslim Brotherhood Front Group, talking about Republicans, Tea Partiers and racism.

While Glen Beck was on vacation, Scott Baker, a writer/producer of the website known as "The Blaze" did a take-down of the video originally posted by O'Keefe and comes to the conclusion that the editing process was an unfair representation of what Ron Schiller said. The statements of Schiller were edited without context. "A closer review of those tapes, however, shows that many of Ron Schiller’s most provocative remarks were presented in a misleading way."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/npr-report-on-editing-ethics-in-expose-video-features-blaze-analysis/

Patterico has an excellent take town of the whole deal:

http://patterico.com/2011/03/14/on-the-blazes-accusations-of-misleading-editing-by-okeefe/comment-page-4/#comment-764011

It is amazing to me that, when Ron Schiller repeatedly employs this trick in the NPR video released recently, it is described as Schiller speaking warmly of Republicans. Thus, if James O’Keefe cuts that part out, he is (so the leftists claim) being deceptive.

A piece for the Blaze accuses James O’Keefe of deceptive editing. For example:

Schiller’s negative comments about Republicans and conservatives have gotten a great deal of attention.

He clearly says some offensive things, while being very direct that he is giving his own opinion and not that of NPR. Still — a wildly stupid move!

But you may be surprised to learn, that in the raw video, Schiller also speaks positively about the GOP. He expresses pride in his own Republican heritage and his belief in fiscal conservatism.

Yeah, Schiller reveals himself to be a huge fan of the Republican party in the Blaze’s clip. He describes an anti-intellectual move that he sees developing in the current Republican party. Then he starts waxing on and on about how he was raised Republican — but, since he is a pure Democrat, he catches himself and acknowledges that he has “voted mostly Democratic lately.” (“Mostly” my ass!) He loves Republicans’ fiscal conservatism, he claims (which I guess is why he votes for those fiscally conservative Democrats). Then he describes the current Tea Party as “fanatically” involved in people’s personal lives and “very fundamentally Christian, and I wouldn’t even call it Christian, it’s this weird evangelical kind of move.”
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:01:06 AM by BigAlSouth »
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Beck's Blaze Blows Brotherhood Sting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »
It really is maddening. The Left lies with every single f**king breath. Not a word of truth or honest idea passes their lips.

And yet a young conservative man gets NPR execs to admit on video everything we've always been saying is true, and some dipsh*t on our side feels the need to parse out the level of creativity in editing?

No. Killer. Instinct. From the conservative "intelligentsia".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:58:21 AM »
It's that "high road", "purity" bullsht at work.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
It's that "high road", "purity" bullsht at work.

Or building their own credibility.At O'Keefe's expense.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »
Heard Beck talk about this on radio yesterday.
"The truth has no agenda"

O'Keefe does great stuff but has done a couple dumb things, too. (Bugging that Senator's office)

If Beck is correct, O'Keefe's actions will do more to harm the effort of getting rid of NPR and all their Communist crap

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »
An attempted bugging.  Let's keep the facts straight.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 12:45:58 PM »

Let's get those THIRD PARTY candidates up and running.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »

Let's get those THIRD PARTY candidates up and running.

??

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »
Heard Beck talk about this on radio yesterday.
"The truth has no agenda"

O'Keefe does great stuff but has done a couple dumb things, too. (Bugging that Senator's office)

If Beck is correct, O'Keefe's actions will do more to harm the effort of getting rid of NPR and all their Communist crap

Beck is right, the truth has no agenda. It just is.

But I have an agenda, and so should anyone who loves this country. My agenda includes doing whatever it takes within the boundaries of morality, righteousness, and truth to save the country. I understand the need for truth. But I also understand that if our opposition is willing to do and say anything in service of their agenda, and we are not even willing to tread on gray area, then we might as well hand them the frackin' keys and start asking how much liberty they would like us to give away.

The thing that grates me is that O'Keefe didn't lie. The Left lies. O'Keefe exposed the truth and exaggerated the effect of it by "coloring" the story with creative editing. The Leftist Schiller said what he said. The gist of what was exposed was not changed by the editing.

But instead of focusing on what was exposed and the monumental moment of clarity it provides, Beck is going to focus on "coloration" of the story that occurred in editing. It is not O'Keefe's editing that will detract from the damage to NPR, but rather conservative hand-wringing over appearances and "high-ground".

My ¢.02, of course.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:50:32 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
Not that tone thing again!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 01:53:24 PM »
Good point IDP. Our opponents are driven by only one maxim: "by any means necessary". We must bear that in mind at all times.

Now, we don't need to tread on so much of that gray area that we "stoop to their level" (which seems to be an overriding and outsize concern behind GOP fecklessness, e.g. the House rules), but we should also not shrink away from doing what we must to help give the Left enough of the proverbial rope to hang themselves with. Jefferson has a quote, along the lines of "it is a virtue to adhere to the rules with utmost fidelity, but not to such an extent that one allows grave threats to go unchallenged". That's how I see this.

I recall there was some similar sniping from our side against Andrew Breitbart during the Shirley Sherrod incident. I was irritated by that too, because you don't publicly criticize or call into question your own side unless there's genuine policy differences at play. The liberals understand this instinctively, and our side needs to figure it out. I'm not sure what conservatives think they're going to accomplish with this posture. What, the media will all of a sudden acknowledge it and shower us with accolades for being so forthright?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
Yes.  Accolades, glittery pixie dust, manna from heaven, hosannas and forgiveness for all sins, particularly of racism, past and future and all credit due for tolerance beyond the call of duty.

I'm sure unicorn farts enter in there somewhere but I'm unfamiliar with the map.

Good thing I don't have to go out today; there's a damn good chance somebody may have gotten smashed.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 02:23:51 PM »

Factually incorrect. There was no bugging of Sen. Landrieu's telephone lines. They dressed as telephone workers to gain access to her office in order to assess whether her staff was answering the telephones during the health care vote. The four yoots were originally charged with felony tampering of her phone system. From Breitbart:

Four conservative activists accused of trying to tamper with the phones in Sen. Mary Landrieu’s office have pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of entering federal property under false pretenses.  . . .
The FBI has said O’Keefe used his cell phone to try to capture video of two men who posed as telephone repairmen and asked to see the phones.

http://biggovernment.com/publius/2010/05/26/james-okeefe-pleads-guilty-to-misdemeanor-in-sen-landrieu-phone-stunt/

The media pushed the meme that this stunt was on the same level as the Watergate Break-in, resulting in felony convictions for breaking and entering and bugging phones. There was no bugging, no attempted bugging, no conspiracy top bug, or breaking and entering. They were not truthful when asked by security why they wanted access to Landrieu's office, thus the misdemeanor charge of "false pretense." 

BFD on the BAS Scale of Justice.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
Yes.  Accolades, glittery pixie dust, manna from heaven, hosannas and forgiveness for all sins, particularly of racism, past and future and all credit due for tolerance beyond the call of duty.

I'm sure unicorn farts enter in there somewhere but I'm unfamiliar with the map.

Good thing I don't have to go out today; there's a damn good chance somebody may have gotten smashed.

Down with the handwringers!     Down with the handwringers!    Down with the handwringers!

It's time to support a team that seeks forgiveness from the Almighty and not the Democrats.
McConnell, Boehner & Partners, LLP. destiny is private practice.  It is time to rid ourselves of them.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »
The cacophony of battle at once engulfs your consciousness and yet goes unnoticed, as you and your countrymen are beset on all sides by mortal enemies. Hacking, slashing. Battle-cries and cries of agony. Sword and spear on flesh and bone, you carve through your formidable enemy even as he hacks away at your army.

For years this enemy has taken ground from your realm, and yet you and your countrymen have fought valiantly, reclaiming what you could, and vowing that someday, your heirs would possess all that is rightfully theirs. Today, although you continue to take casualties, it appears that your efforts are being rewarded, as the battle turns in your favor.

Nearby, at a key moment, you notice your enemy's commanding general astride his armored steed, squaring off with your unhorsed comrade, Sir O'Keefe. Then in a moment of good fortune, this man who has for years inflicted countless crimes upon your people is suddenly thrown from his horse. In an instant, your comrade stands atop him with his spear at the throat. Even as you dispatch another enemy, and another, you notice the general pleading for mercy; in fact he begs and shrieks like a child. But before the second and third plea can fully escape his lips, the tip of O'Keefe's spear pierces the ground behind his head, the life sputtering out his throat as the spear is withdrawn to fight again. You take note of the standing order to take the general alive if possible, but there is a battle to be fought, and there is no time for second-guessing your comrade now.

At long last, the battle is over, casualties strewn about the field. For the moment your enemy has retreated, stitching wounds, amputating limbs, and cauterizing the stumps. His immediate ability to attack is crippled by the loss of many men. But the most severe blow was Sir O'Keefe's felling of their commanding general. The very viability of the brigade formerly under the general's command is now in question thanks to O'Keefe and his decisive blow. You think again of the standing order to capture the general alive, but given the circumstances and the great victory achieved by his death, you put those thoughts of propriety aside for now.

As your army clears the battlefield, murmurs turn to jovial talk of a great victorious battle in the war as news spreads that the enemy's mighty general was killed. Songs begin to spring up about O'Keefe and his mighty spear. You remember that pivotal moment, fortunate to have been so close at the moment of his glory. You also remember the general's pleas for mercy...

...upon return to your king, news of the victory has preceded you. Being a knight of the court, there is no escaping the barrage of questions about the battle at the victory feast. Talk among the king and his nobility turns toward the killing of the general, and the manner of his death. You remember the scene, and the standing order....

[blockquote]You:
A) Speak of the mighty heroism of your army and Sir O'Keefe, recounting how in the fever pitch of battle, your comrade repelled and killed a mighty foe that had plagued your kingdom for years.
B) Tell your king and everyone else that even though there was a standing order to capture the general who was pleading for his life, your comrade killed him when he may have been captured, putting Sir O'Keefe at risk, and weakening your army's morale.[/blockquote]

(Thanks for indulging me. Sometimes a thought just needs an outlet.)

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »

The military has a technical term for the parlance of (B).  Chickensh~t is the term.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »
...It's time to support a team that seeks forgiveness from the Almighty and not the Democrats....

Man, do I love that quote. Spot-on.
 ::bows:: ::cool::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
...It's time to support a team that seeks forgiveness from the Almighty and not the Democrats....

That's gonna leave a mark!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 07:48:28 PM »

Short, simple and accurate.

What's not to like?

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.