Author Topic: Time for Newt to Bow Out  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Time for Newt to Bow Out
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »
Newt should endorse Santorum and bow out with some grace and dignity.  Not sure he'll do that, but it is what should happen.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/27/breaking-gingrich-replaces-campaign-manager-lays-off-one-third-of-staff-to-focus-on-the-convention/

And people are smoking some serious stuff if they think Paul has the inclination or class to step aside!

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/27/poll-majority-of-republicans-say-its-time-for-gingrich-and-ron-paul-to-drop-out/

I don't see Newt drawing well enough in the remaining races to increase the probability of a brokered convention, and Paul's support has largely stagnated to PaulBot levels, so it is basically a two horse race from here on out anyway...and the PTB's seem hell bent on pushing the herd to Willard, so the Kabuki dance may be coming to a close and we can look forward to, er, look anyway, to Romney being the GOP standard bearer.

(I think I just threw up in my mouth!)

I'm feeling myself detach from any further interest in this race...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Re: Time for Newt to Bow Out
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »

Don't detach, there is still a chance this will go to open convention.
Pushing Gingrich out; I don't understand how he can make it to
the convention but he thinks he can and he understands the rules well.

Newt, Paul and Santorum are inexorably cutting into Romney's delegate
numbers and if they continue we will have an open convention and an
opportunity to rally.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:25:41 AM »
Another kiss of death (for conservatives) another highly valuable endorsement for liberal repub's...

Former President George H.W. Bush plans to endorse Mitt Romney at an event Thursday in Houston.
http://news.yahoo.com/george-h-w-bush-formally-back-romney-144744415.html

::)

Detach!  Detach!

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:44:54 PM »

Don't detach, there is still a chance this will go to open convention.
Pushing Gingrich out; I don't understand how he can make it to
the convention but he thinks he can and he understands the rules well.

Newt, Paul and Santorum are inexorably cutting into Romney's delegate
numbers and if they continue we will have an open convention and an
opportunity to rally.

I think it will be over no later that June with Romney on top . Just my gut feeling .

Offline amperfectunion

• Likes the place
    • A Most Perfect Union
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
The only upside to Newt staying is is drawing enough delegates away from Romney to force a brokered convention.
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/amperfectunion
Check out the website! www.amostperfectunion.com

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »
A brokered convention doesn't mean Romney won't be the nominee. In fact, if he comes in with the most delagates by the time of the convention, I would say that it is likely that he would.

Imagine the disunity on the (small c) conservative side, if it goes to a brokered convention. Then imagine the division if that brokered convention leads to a Romney nomination.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline amperfectunion

• Likes the place
    • A Most Perfect Union
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
A brokered convention doesn't mean Romney won't be the nominee. In fact, if he comes in with the most delagates by the time of the convention, I would say that it is likely that he would.

Imagine the disunity on the (small c) conservative side, if it goes to a brokered convention. Then imagine the division if that brokered convention leads to a Romney nomination.

Potentially.

I just don't want Romney.
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/amperfectunion
Check out the website! www.amostperfectunion.com

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »
I don't want Romney either. Really, really bad, I don't want him.

But I don't want Obama worse. I want whoever faces Obama to be as strong a candidate as possible. That strongest candidate was never Romney - the establishment drone notwithstanding - but at some point, if Romney is going to be the nominee, every hit he takes from Republicans will harm his chances in the general election.

I never ever would have said this before I thought there was any chance of any conservative beating him outright. But now his opponents are openly angling for an open convention, and have indicated that their mission is to make Romney as unacceptable and damaged as possible before the convention.

I'm not even saying that's wrong - just that there is an obvious downside to weigh, and the downside looms larger with each day that goes by.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
Clearly it's going to be Romney. The least desirable candidate, I think we all agree on that. Establishment boosterism has been fast and heavy from Day One, likewise their efforts to impugn and malign the other candidates. But it's also true that Romney keeps winning primaries, so for all my frustration at the Establishment manufacturing its own little self-fulfilling "electability" prophecies, I am yet more frustrated that it apparently works with voters. I chalk that up to the fact that the reality of this country's precarious state has yet to sink in for far too many people....I mean, how often do you hear it breathlessly repeated that "Social Security and Medicare are very popular programs and voters oppose any changes to them"?  Talk about a gaping disconnect from reality, it's about like doing an opinion poll of the Titanic's passengers and reporting that it would be highly unpopular for the ship to go to the bottom of the Atlantic.

But, this is where we're at. Romney is almost certainly going to be the GOP's nominee.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »

Potentially.

But will you support his run in the end?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »

Potentially.

No. I've never voted for a liberal in my life and I'm not about to now.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »

Potentially.

No. I've never voted for a liberal in my life and I'm not about to now.

I know your answer I was hoping for AMPS.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 07:21:09 PM »
I wish they'd ALL bow out and let a real conservative run. ::oldman::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 01:31:54 AM »
But it's also true that Romney keeps winning primaries

I think mostly blue states that he won't be able to carry against Obama

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »
But it's also true that Romney keeps winning primaries

I think mostly blue states that he won't be able to carry against Obama

And the rap on Santorum is that he's only winning states that are a lock for the GOP - which is not entirely true, but generally so.

This is so screwed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdBcsdk8pEY#

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 07:36:47 AM »
Conversely, Romney is winning all the states that democrats are stronger in, not the South where our base is strongest and democrats are weaker.

Yes, it is all FUBAR.

::unknowncomic::