Author Topic: 'Relocating children'  (Read 3431 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
'Relocating children'
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:21:18 AM »
This week brings another example of complete disregard for parental rights, this time from Grove High School in Delaware County, Oklahoma.  

Grove High School transported 699 kids away from school property without first notifying parents of their intent to do so, nor obtaining the parents consent.  Parents were only told, by way of this nondescript robo-call, that there would be a "drill":

"This call is to inform you that Grove P    ublic Schools will be conducting an emergency exercise on Tuesday, March 27, 2012.  The drill's purpose is to extend the school's preparedness in the event of a real emergency.  Please be aware, this is only a drill. Thanks and have a good evening."

A short article also appeared in the local paper to inform of the drill, but made no mention that kids would be transported away from school grounds.  The Grove Police Chief himself stated that they were trying to "get the word out to parents" about the drill:
    "Which ever site it takes place at, there will be a tremendous amount of emergency vehicles and we need to get the word out to parents that this is a drill. The exact location of the drill will be released early that morning. This allows us to better prepare in case of an actual emergency."

A pair of videos, made by Grandlakenews.com, chronicle the approximately two hour exercise where 14 buses were used to move 699 students and 50 staff members to a regional civic center.  Logistically speaking, moving this many bodies is a considerable task.  That fact notwithstanding, the need to obtain parental consent to transport these students away from school grounds was not even considered by the district.

I have (lawfully) obtained recorded audio of a conversation between a concerned parent  and the district Superintendent.  The Superintendent was asked if the district should have obtained parents' permission for their kids to participate in the drill:

"No, because, um, if it were a true emergency, you know, we have to evacuate.  Uh, I guess if there's a parent out there that doesn't want their child to be prepared and practice for a drill, then they can send in a note and I'd send the child to another campus or something during the drill."
    "We are not taking them out of town, they are going to be on school buses and school property, so no, no I don't think we have to have parent consent to practice a drill."

Apparently, this Superintendent believes that because the students remained on the school's buses (but not on school grounds) that it was not necessary for their parents to know their whereabouts.  To think that this is even remotely acceptable defies comprehension.

Student relocation drills such as this are taking place in many other districts throughout the U.S., but Grove High School (hopefully) appears to be unique in neglecting to inform parents of what it is they are doing.  Parents should never be made by a public school to wonder where their children are.

Related article:

Kids All Over America Are Being Put On Buses And Sent To Alternate Locations During School Terror Drills

All over the United States, school children are being taken out of their classrooms, put on buses and sent to "alternate locations" during terror drills.  These exercises are often called "evacuation drills" or "relocation drills" and they are more than a little disturbing.  Sometimes parents are notified in advance where the kids are being taken and sometimes they are only told that the children are being taken to an "undisclosed location".  In the years since 9/11 and the Columbine school shootings, there has been a concerted effort to make school emergency drills much more "realistic" and much more intense.    

Unfortunately, the fact that many of these drills are deeply traumatizing many children does not seem to bother too many people.  Do we really need to have "active shooter" drills where men point guns at our kids and fire blanks at them?  Do we really need to have "relocation drills" where kids are rapidly herded on to buses and told that they must surrender their cell phones because they will not be allowed to call anyone?  Our schools more closely resemble prison camps every single day, and it is our children that are suffering because of it.

For example, check out the tone in the following excerpt from a school newsletter from one school in Pennsylvania....

"As mentioned in a separate letter in our CB Electronic Envelope last Wednesday, our school will be involved in an Off-Site Relocation Drill. This practice opportunity will sharpen our skills and provide us with the chance to review important safety procedures in the event of an emergency. This Relocation Drill is scheduled for Friday, December 16, 2011. Here are some very important reminders for all parents and families:

SAFETY IS OUR TOP PRIORITY!!!!!!

In every classroom, teachers will prepare students for this activity. To ensure that every child and adult arrives safely to the relocation site, no child will be released for any reason during this practice activity or real emergency. All parents are asked to review the detailed letter explaining the official steps for such drills and practice activities."

No child will be released for any reason?

What if there is a family emergency?

What if a child becomes very ill?

Our schools are becoming way too militarized.  It really is quite frightening to see what is happening to us.

There is more at the link.  In case you need the BP bump.   ::saywhat::

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: 'Relocating children'
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:44:11 AM »

Without written consent schools have no authority to do this.
If something terrible happens the children are to be sent home
or otherwise returned to parents or responsible family.

This isn't militarization as much as ownership; they are breaking
the familial bond.  This is one more step establishing in the students
mind the superior authority of the state and most of the parents
are too ignorant and pacified to understand it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:54:04 AM »

Without written consent schools have no authority to do this.
If something terrible happens the children are to be sent home
or otherwise returned to parents or responsible family.

This isn't militarization as much as ownership; they are breaking
the familial bond.  This is one more step establishing in the students
mind the superior authority of the state and most of the parents
are too ignorant and pacified to understand it.

Obviously, the schools hav decided written consent is not required.  Yes, it is ownership; once the schools have their grasping mitts on your children, THEIR consent is needed to get them back.

I've never understood the lack of absolute determination of parents to regain custody of their children in the case of lockdowns -- "do not come to the school; your children are safe and under lockdown until a time as it is considered safe to release them".  Oh. BULLSHT.  I will come to the school -- are there shooters?  You better fix it before I get there to GET MY KIDS!

Nah.  My kids would not be under governmental supervision 8 hours a day.  Moot point.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »
It is mind-boggling how many parents accept this ownership over their kids....

If I dared to tell my friends this is one more reason I'm glad I homeschool they would think I was sheltering my kids and being neglectful in not preparing them for the real world...

afterall the schools caaare about their kids...

By the way, what emergency would require them to take the kids to another site?  If there's a shooter they won't be herding them to buses.  By the time they get all the buses to the school and loaded I'm thinking the emergency is over.  PLUS in that time frame most parents could probably pick up their kids.

BS as usual.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
If I dared to tell my friends this is one more reason I'm glad I homeschool they would think I was sheltering my kids and being neglectful in not preparing them for the real world...

Imagine if the worst came to pass, and Obama planned an actual takeover. How easy would it be to have your kids gone before you even got home from work. Oh, you want to see them again? Fall in line.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
I think that you guys are reading more into this than it deserves. As parents, we hold the schools responsible for the safety of our children. It's not about 'ownership', it's about trusting the school districts to be responsible in protecting our children while they are attending classes.

if there was a chemical leak that could kill everybody that comes in contact, I would want them to move my child to safety first and not wait until they contact me. I may be out of contact.

Come on guys, use a little common sense.

TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »
This is outrageous. I cannot comprehend something like that happening in our school district. Fortunately, there are at least some pockets in the country where a modicum of sanity remains in the public schools. Whether they exist outside the conservative heart of Minnesota's 6th congressional District or places like it, I do not know.

Our superintendent seems like a very reasonable lady, mindful of the make-up of the district she administers. She even refused to show the Obama indoctrination broadcast to all public schools that he demanded soon after his inauguration.

Still, my eyes and ears are always open, and my boys are very keen as well. It's my little one that I think I'll need to keep a special eye on. I've already had to have the "she's not a Chinese-American" conversation.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
I think that you guys are reading more into this than it deserves. As parents, we hold the schools responsible for the safety of our children. It's not about 'ownership', it's about trusting the school districts to be responsible in protecting our children while they are attending classes.

if there was a chemical leak that could kill everybody that comes in contact, I would want them to move my child to safety first and not wait until they contact me. I may be out of contact.

It IS common sense to expect that a school district will notify a parent any time a child is going to be removed from school grounds. That requires a permission slip, aside from an emergency situation as you describe.

Honestly, I have no problem with an evacuation drill. But as a parent, I expect and demand to be kept in the loop regarding everything that involves my child's location during the day.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »

It IS common sense to expect that a school district will notify a parent any time a child is going to be removed from school grounds. That requires a permission slip, aside from an emergency situation as you describe.

Honestly, I have no problem with an evacuation drill. But as a parent, I expect and demand to be kept in the loop regarding everything that involves my child's location during the day.

If a real emergency happened, you expect that they could call 700 parents before taking action? Really?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »
radioman, it's not one thing or the other, it's a compilation of issues with the schools assuming they are the ultimate authority over other people's children.  Turkey sandwich?  Newp; hand it over and eat what we give you instead.  "Reproductive issues"?   No need for parental involvement; we have a "protocol" for that.  Abstinence?  Really?  Here; practice putting a condom on this banana.  Face-booking out of school?  We've become aware of certain unacceptable language requiring remediation.  Christian?  We're going to spend a week taking muslim names and studying their culture.  7 years old?  We think it's time for Heather Has Two Mommies.

Any time there's a problem in the area of a school, they declare a lockdown and parents are forbidden access to their children until the authorities decide it's "safe".

We're not talking the freak incident where anyone with common sense would agree the schools' authorities need to act in a certain manner; we're adding up the constant usurpment of parental rights.

Why would the schools plan and run a drill, busing kids off school grounds, and not fully inform parents ahead of time? 

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »

Why would the schools plan and run a drill, busing kids off school grounds, and not fully inform parents ahead of time? 

That is exactly the point. This was NOT an emergency situation - during which I would expect them to do what they have to do and let the chips fall where they may.  This  was a planned activity and there was no reason what-so-ever that they should not have asked for permission.  They  do it when they take the kids on a planned  field trip off of school grounds,  so there really isn't any logistical reason why they couldn't do it for this... other than arrogance and an ownership mentality.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »
If a real emergency happened, you expect that they could call 700 parents before taking action? Really?

No, I expect them to move the kids and while this is happening, an assigned person activates the phone tree.  Are you familiar with the concept?  There are a couple of parents who volunteer as contacts, they then notify another set who have their own lists of other parents to notify.

The underlying principle being these ARE other people's children and their parents need to know, ASAP, where they are and why.

In any case, what happened here, as I wrote, was not a emergency, it was a drill.  No excuse for how this was handled.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »
If you want the 'drill' to be totally authentic, it has to happen without everyone knowing about it, otherwise, the drill is only minmally effective. Maybe half the parents keep their children home on that day, so the drill only moves 300 instead of 700. So, they weren't tested in moving 'all', but only some.

Maybe the real issue is that we don't all 'trust' the school districts that we are sending our children to. I do i know my school district very well, and know the people who manage the district, as well as a lot of the teachers. So, I have no problem whatsoever.

I also know that if you hold someone accountable, you have to give them the authority. You can't have it both ways.

If I'm held accountable to manage something, then I have to have the ultimate authority to do what I know I have to do, otherwise, you can't hold me responsible.

As far as these emergency drills are concerned, I think that you guys are over reacting. That's my view and I'm staying with it, unless other information becomes available that changes the circumstances. It looks to me like these administrators are trying to be as prepared as possible for an emergency.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
...If a real emergency happened, you expect that they could call 700 parents before taking action? Really?

Read what I said Radioman. I said "aside from an emergency situation as you described."

I expect to be notified of a "drill" that will take my children off school campus, yes. Absolutely. An emergency situation and a drill preparing for one are not the same thing.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
Maybe half the parents keep their children home on that day, so the drill only moves 300 instead of 700. So, they weren't tested in moving 'all', but only some.

So, it is your opinion that parents are not to be given the choice to participate because they may not?  That's just the kind of high-handedness that we're objecting to here.

You are, of course, entitled to stick to your opinion, but I'll repeat again that the schools have become nothing more than government institutions with an inflated sense of authority.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Parent,

In the interest of safety planning and training our schools will be initiating a
random practice evacuation within the next month. We will be doing as follows:
da da da da da.  In accordance with school protocol and with sincere desire
to keep our students parents as participants in all school related activity
we have enclosed a release note time limited for the next month.  Please
sign and have your son/daughter return it to their teacher.

Again, thank you for being a participating parent.

Regards,

Best Schools

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Parent,

In the interest of safety planning and training our schools will be initiating a
random practice evacuation within the next month. We will be doing as follows:
da da da da da.  In accordance with school protocol and with sincere desire
to keep our students parents as participants in all school related activity
we have enclosed a release note time limited for the next month.  Please
sign and have your son/daughter return it to their teacher.

Again, thank you for being a participating parent.

Regards,

Best Schools

Yep, that would be acceptable. I would still expect a right to have my child not participate if for some reason I had a problem with it.. though achieving that may mean making "secret" arrangements with the principal to hold my child home that day. I have certainly never heard of such tests ever happening anywhere before. They certainly did not happen in my school district growing up ( which was the one Columbine High School  is in) Its a huge waste of time and money IMO.  The kids will, by and large, do as they are told.  The logistics of getting the buses/food/water/heat/sanitation  to specific locations on  surprise notice etc, is much harder, and can be done WITHOUT student participation.  Also this is 2012. Most districts already have an phone-blast system for notification of snow days etc, as well as extensive e-mail lists.  There is no reason that parents couldn't be kept informed in near real time even if it was an emergency ( that didn't affect those systems)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
We had an incident just this year when an armed guy (not from around here) tried to rob a local bank. He was at large in the community uncaptured for a few hours, and the schools went into lockdown until the potential threat was neutralized. The school district issued a robo-call alert to all parents, apprising them of the situation. They had a protocol for making sure phone lines were open and there were enough people manning them to take the flood of calls from parents looking for further info. They issued an all-clear robo-call shortly after the guy was captured.

Point is, there is no earthly reason that a school or district cannot keep parents apprised of anomalous situations during the school day, in real or near-real time. There's no excuse for it. Take care of business - kids-first - and have a protocol for notifying parents. That should be a no-brainer in an emergency situation.

But a drill - that is not the real thing. A simulation does not require ignorance or dis-involvement of parents. Giving advanced notice should be the default.

- Thomas Jefferson