Author Topic: Japan, Radiation, & Reality  (Read 7045 times)

charlesoakwood

Japan, Radiation, & Reality
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
First, the good news. The second plant, containing four reactors about a dozen or so kilometers from the one that has been the subject of all the reporting, has reached cold shutdown on all four reactors.  
The astounding part of this is that during such a disaster you have lots of available energy in the form of steam pressure you don't want in the plant.  Why someone didn't consider this and include an emergency steam turbine sufficient to run the high-pressure feedwater and circulation pumps to a heat exchanger that could dump the heat, completely without electrical power, is beyond me.  Such a system would require nothing other than physical plant integrity to be maintained, could be designed as a purely mechanical system with no reliance on electrical power, and would have avoided all of the core damage.

From Market Ticker . org
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=182324
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:13:05 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Japan, Radiation, & Reality
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »
This old GE dude basically is pointed a finger at the cooling system too.  But word of caution, he resigned and joined the anti-nuke movement, so this all seems to be convenient timing for him, but it doesn't appear he is necessarily wrong.

Part of lessons learned.  If we had been allowed to build new, better designed plants, maybe we would not have some of these same reactor designs in operation now.

So to me the big finger should still be pointed at politicians and their knee-jerk obedience to the anti-nuke crowd.

And lets be clear, worst case scenario, this design should still not result in a full Chernobyl-style radiation spewing everywhere event!

Alas, sound reasoning will be, and is, the first casualty in this debate!  And we will not be better off for it if the leftnuts have their way!

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/fukushima-mark-nuclear-reactor-design-caused-ge-scientist/story?id=13141287
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
Smoke is billowing from what appears to be Reactor #3 (with MOX fuel) right now.  And another spike in radiation outside the plant is being recorded.  Very limited other information at this time. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
Yeah.  Been monitoring that and posted in the other thread.

Last update of note was the confirmed death toll has passed 11 thousand.  I fear that will rise quite a bit more.

Sad, really sad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »
It is amazing how crappy (read: unreliable) the information is. I don't know what the reason is. Maybe it's screwy translation. Maybe it's the Ron Burgundy syndrome. Maybe it's a conspiracy to keep us stupid. Don't know. But whatever it is, it is incredibly annoying to go online and not be able to find reliable and truthful facts about what is happening at any given point. It's not as bad as the non-reporting that came out of Louisiana during Katrina but it's close.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:37:05 PM »
Apparently it's not just us. Kudlow quoted the Prime Minister speaking to the head of the generating company, the one that yesterday pronounced lowering radioactivity and this morning as raising, saying,  "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!"

So apparently they have some internal CYA going on also.

A "what to do when the hand of God moves your island 8' east" hasn't been written yet and they are having a go at it.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 12:38:17 AM »
Main headline seen on Drudge at this hour:

Japan To U.S.: Help!

Which makes me wonder, "Do they really know who is currently running the show over here?" Maybe they are so overcome with stress and exhaustion that they think GWB is still in charge. They need to call France. The cheese eating surrender monkeys have a better chance of answering the call than Toonces.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:45:33 AM »

Saw this earlier, considering Trap's and preceding comments the following post is appropriate.

A meditation on Friendship
Posted by Ann Barnhardt - March 15, AD 2011 11:53 AM MST

What is a friend? There are many, many ways to define friendship. One universally applicable definition leaps into my mind today, March 15th. A friend could be defined as someone who will help you when you are in need of help. Furthermore, a friend is someone who not only WILL help, but WANTS to help. A friend WANTS to be burdened. A friend WANTS to be inconvenienced. A friend WANTS to be bothered and put-upon. Not only that, but if a suffering person does NOT reveal their suffering to their friend, the friend will actually feel rejected and hurt for not being entrusted, nay GIFTED, with the opportunity to share in the suffering. This is where we get the word "compassion". "Com" means "with". "Passion" means "suffer". Friends want to suffer with their friends. As we go through life and we choose our friends, are we not subconsciously saying to ourselves, "Yes, THIS is a person whom I would want to share my sufferings with - and I would want to share in theirs." We make this determination based upon our perception of the moral character and interior goodness of the individual. The finer the character of the person, the deeper their goodness and the stronger their faith, the more "co-suffering" they will be able to bear with us, and thus the less likely they will be to abandon us in our times of need. And selfish though it may seem, every human being is, at the end of it all, trying desperately to avoid finding themselves abandoned.

Japan has formally asked for the help of the United States. The fact is, the request should never have needed to be made. Japan is our friend. Something horrible happened to them. We should have immediately presented ourselves and all of our tactical assets to them within a matter of minutes. "What do you need? What can we do? YOU ARE NOT ALONE. WE ARE GOING TO STAY WITH YOU AND HELP YOU THROUGH THIS - NO MATTER WHAT." Really, the most important point is not the actual, tactical assistance in and of itself - although in this case that is certainly important. The main point is just making sure that they know that we are there with them - making our real presence known to them, so to speak. Because sometimes that is the only thing of comfort that can be given - presence.

Is Japan perfect? No. 66 years ago Japan was in the grips and clutches of a truly evil spirit. They killed many of our people, and in trying to liberate them from the evil spirit that had infected them, we killed a lot of their people too. And when that mess was finally over and resolved, we picked them up, we dusted them off, showed them how to make cars and TVs, and welcomed them back in friendship. And we have both been the better for it.

Barack Obama, and apparently the people surrounding and advising him, are malignant narcissists and sociopaths. They are completely and totally self-absorbed (that's the narcissism) and also incapable of feeling any sort of empathy or compassion for other human beings (that is the sociopathy). While our friend Japan is undergoing a monumental catastrophe, Obama golfed and frolicked at a comedy dinner party. He stood by and coldly WATCHED - what they call "closely monitoring" - the situation. Nothing but the most trifling efforts were made to assist. The justification for this was that the Japanese had not ASKED for help. Now that they have asked, the regime response is one of eyerolling. Yes, we're helping, but we really don't WANT to be helping. We're just doing this because we HAVE to. Obama continues to give speeches about utter trivia, such as increasing funding to afterschool programs and anti-bullying initiatives and, even more insultingly, is giddily recording an entire ESPN special dedicated to the unveiling of his NCAA tournament bracket today. The level of emotional disconnect and black-hole proportioned self-absorption is beyond description or quantification. And one more thing: it is terrifying. This quality of total emotional disconnect and utter self-absorption has been universally observed in all of the tyrants, dictators and despots of history. They surround themselves not with friends, but with enablers, enforcers and hangers-on.

The true test of the mettle of a man, or a nation, is how he treats his friends.

God help us all.

"A faithful friend is a strong defence, and he that hath found him hath found a treasure." Ecclesiasticus 6:14 

http://www.barnhardt.biz/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »
I too had that same thought Trap, it seems really hard to find accurate info on what is going on.  Between government caution and media frenzy there is an awful lot of noise to fight through.  Not as bad as Katrina yet, but if this keeps up much longer it could be.

And dead on about France being more helpful, I never thought I would see the day where the leader of the free world was based in Paris, but thanks to this Regime...our friends are largely abandoned and our enemies embraced.

And that is a good post Charles, really nails the abandonment of friends angle!

These proglodytes really make it extremely difficult to have pride in your nation, don't they?!

::cussing::

::mooning::

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:32:19 AM »
I think we're seeing how he treats his friends.
It's how he treats our friends that's the problem.
Israel, now Japan.
The only real democratic movement in the Mid East in Iran.
I hate to say Mubarak was a friend but he helped our interests

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »
I think we're seeing how he treats his friends.
It's how he treats our friends that's the problem.
Israel, now Japan.
The only real democratic movement in the Mid East in Iran.
I hate to say Mubarak was a friend but he helped our interests

Why should we expect Stymie to treat our friends and allies any better than he treats us ? He's very  "democratic" in that he ignores everyone equally .

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
Main headline seen on Drudge at this hour:

Japan To U.S.: Help!

Which makes me wonder, "Do they really know who is currently running the show over here?" Maybe they are so overcome with stress and exhaustion that they think GWB is still in charge. They need to call France. The cheese eating surrender monkeys have a better chance of answering the call than Toonces.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:52:28 AM by John Florida »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Does anyone think that maybe, just maybe, if one of the world's most technologically advanced, responsible and peaceful countries is having a wee bit of trouble with their nuclear energy program that there might be a very real problem with allowing Iran into this fraternity?

Because that's the argument posed by Iran's enablers, Russia and China, that Iran needs a nuke program for the peaceful production of energy for its people. Certainly we know that the real reason is that Iran wants to possess nuclear weapons. Or at least the more intellectually honest among us can say that. Our spineless diplomatic corps has, though, allowed this argument to be used by Iran's enablers. And now that just about the worst thing imaginable is occurring in Japan can the world allow anyone in the middle east to pursue a nuclear energy program? Time will tell but my money would be on the stupid choice.

How can you possibly allow an Iranian nuclear power program after this situation in Japan? How can you make the argument that the Iranians can trusted with the safe operation of a nuclear reactor?

If only we were a world leader. If only we had an even average president and an even average secretary of state. The world is in crisis. Our nation is in crisis. And we long for the B team.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »
Yeah, if only...

::falldownshocked::

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
Why do the leftists want us to allow Iran to have nukes

while

at the same time

trying to keep us from utilizing nuclear power plants for our energy?

Does anyone have any question as to the 'targets' of an iran nuke?

I think that Iran could cause more damage to us and our allies,
than any of our nuclear power plants.

just saying......

TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »
Define "damage".  Duh Wun and his merry band of thugs have their own idea of damage and the withholding of cheap, reliable and abundant energy is the plan.

We are, after all, deemed by them to be able to absorb in certain level of terrorist "damage".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »
Define "damage".  Duh Wun and his merry band of thugs have their own idea of damage and the withholding of cheap, reliable and abundant energy is the plan.

We are, after all, deemed by them to be able to absorb in certain level of terrorist "damage".

I was thinking that an Iran nuke or dirty bomb setoff in the US or Israel would be more damaging than the damage a nuclear power plant would cause, especially with all the safety engineering that is available.

let me say it another way,

from a statistical probability,

which is the most likely to occur?

1 - a nuclear blast from an Iran Nuke (dirty of otherwise)...(if we allow iran to acquire weapon grade status)?
or
2 - a nuclear power plant accident?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »

I was thinking that an Iran nuke or dirty bomb setoff in the US or Israel would be more damaging than the damage a nuclear power plant would cause, especially with all the safety engineering that is available.

1 - a nuclear blast from an Iran Nuke (dirty of otherwise)...(if we allow iran to acquire weapon grade status)?
or

I'd say, definitely, an Iranian nuke, of course.

My previous response was truthful irony.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »

or

I'd say, definitely, an Iranian nuke, of course.

My previous response was truthful irony.

But our esteemed leftists must believe just the opposite;

IF

they really have our best interests in their heart of hearts.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »
Oy!  Radioman!

They do.

They don't.

That's what I was trying to point out.

*Note to self:  less cryptic irony
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:21:57 AM by Pandora »