Author Topic: Obama seeks to kill moon mission  (Read 1380 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Obama seeks to kill moon mission
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »
Obama seeks to kill moon mission
Post by irondiopriest on Jan 28, 2010, 11:33am

Obama aims to ax moon mission

NASA's plans to return astronauts to the moon are dead. So are the rockets being designed to take them there — that is, if President Barack Obama gets his way.

When the White House releases his budget proposal Monday, there will be no money for the Constellation program that was supposed to return humans to the moon by 2020. The troubled and expensive Ares I rocket that was to replace the space shuttle to ferry humans to space will be gone, along with money for its bigger brother, the Ares V cargo rocket that was to launch the fuel and supplies needed to take humans back to the moon.

There will be no lunar landers, no moon bases, no Constellation program at all.

In their place, according to White House insiders, agency officials, industry executives and congressional sources familiar with Obama's long-awaited plans for the space agency, NASA will look at developing a new "heavy-lift" rocket that one day will take humans and robots to explore beyond low Earth orbit. But that day will be years — possibly even a decade or more — away.

In the meantime, the White House will direct NASA to concentrate on Earth-science projects — principally, researching and monitoring climate change — and on a new technology research and development program that will one day make human exploration of asteroids and the inner solar system possible....Re: Obama seeks to kill moon mission
Post by libertasinfinitio on Jan 29, 2010, 7:52am

Science and a new made up religion riding in the same cart...what could possibly go wrong?! ::)Re: Obama seeks to kill moon mission
Post by trapeze on Jan 29, 2010, 9:48am

I saw this the other day and I thought, "Well he just lost any and all science fiction fans."

This is just another sign that the admin lacks imagination and vision. Kennedy knew better than this. The moon race paid dividends for decades.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Re: Obama seeks to kill moon mission
Post by romerowasright on Jan 29, 2010, 10:52am

Jan 29, 2010, 9:48am, trapeze wrote:
I saw this the other day and I thought, "Well he just lost any and all science fiction fans."

This is just another sign that the admin lacks imagination and vision. Kennedy knew better than this. The moon race paid dividends for decades.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Yup. While they're at the business of dismantling capitalism and transforming culture, they might as well squash the mighty American imaginative spirit as well.

Fools.Re: Obama seeks to kill moon mission
Post by rocketman on Feb 2, 2010, 9:05am

THIS pisses me off no end.

There's a helluva lot more to extra-atmosphere travel than just landing on the moon again.
That rat bastid is so short-sighted. ALL he sees is mo money he can funnel into entitlements --> VOTES!

If nothing else, America needs a launch vehicle for a variety of potentially ugly scenarios.

Who ya gonna call when a BMFA (big motherf'ing asteroid) comes too close:
George Clooney?
Richard Branson?
The ChiComs?

Fuggin' Moron

Saturn 5 Rocket

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"