Author Topic: Fair and Balanced is a Loser Idea and Should End  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Fair and Balanced is a Loser Idea and Should End
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:38:43 AM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/04/fox-hires-jesse-jackson's-daughter/444871

Really?  Come on Fox, you are already driving me off a lot of shows because of this insane "fair & balanced" bullsh*t!  You are getting ZERO credit in Leftyland for this, so drop it already!

::gaah::

Idiots!

(trap: Link fixed)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:43:47 AM by trapeze »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Fair and Balanced is a Loser Idea and Should End
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »

The coup is just the latest move by Fox to staff up talkers from the left and build its rep as the nation’s “fair and balanced” cable network.

It's not a "coup" but rather a capitulation. And the picture of Jackson's daughter that accompanies the article makes her look like she's on crack or something.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
The coup is just the latest move by Fox to staff up talkers from the left and build its rep as the nation’s “fair and balanced” cable network.

It's not a "coup" but rather a capitulation. And the picture of Jackson's daughter that accompanies the article makes her look like she's on crack or something.

She IS part of the "culture". She spends her life working to legitimize the scourge of the "Affkin-Mehkin Comm-EEWW-nuh-tee". If she's not on crack, she at least has the consistency to adopt the look.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
The idea that journalism is or should be fair and unbiased is crap.

The reason towns had two papers was to accomodate opposing views points.  Then somewhere in the early 20th century someone perpetuated the idea that "real" journalists are unbiased.  
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
Rush Limbaugh: "I AM equal time."
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
The idea that journalism is or should be fair and unbiased is crap.

The reason towns had two papers was to accomodate opposing views points.  Then somewhere in the early 20th century someone perpetuated the idea that "real" journalists are unbiased.  

No one expects them to be unbiased, anymore than we expect Christians to behave exactly as Christ instructed.  The point is that its a goal. Its also the reason that papers have editorial pages and news pages.  I personally want to hear both sides, if only to confirm that its just the usual B.S.  Of course, since it is usually the same B.S., I end up yelling at the t.v. like an idiot in the middle of his Orwellian two minutes of hate, and as such, I tend to not turn it on,and read the opposing side when relevant.

A Reporter trying to be unbiased may present both arguments, even if they are biased towards one and make that obvious. We have gotten to the point where the left is so afraid of the opposing argument they habitually omit it, and I would hate to see our side do that. We should never develop such hubris that we dismiss the opposing side out of hand ( as the left does to us)  because occasionally-- very, very seldom in fact, they may have something worthwhile to hear. 

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »
I don't mind them adding liberal pundits, but I am upset with the conservatives wayering down their opinions, which makes them moderates pandering to people that are not conservatives.

The conservative message is getting purged from fox news slowly, so we don't notice it. Or so the hope.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/04/fox-hires-jesse-jackson's-daughter/444871

Really?  Come on Fox, you are already driving me off a lot of shows because of this insane "fair & balanced" bullsh*t!  You are getting ZERO credit in Leftyland for this, so drop it already!

Idiots!

They may be zero in lefty land but they continue to increase audience from somewhere.
They are of the opinion this is the model that is drawing that "new" audience.  The part
of the model that drove me away was the argument segment which is becoming a larger
and larger portion of each show.  It's Punch and Judy with a buffoon in the middle, every
one. 

The first time they talk over each other I'm out of there.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »

Idiots!

They may be zero in lefty land but they continue to increase audience from somewhere.
They are of the opinion this is the model that is drawing that "new" audience.  The part
of the model that drove me away was the argument segment which is becoming a larger
and larger portion of each show.  It's Punch and Judy with a buffoon in the middle, every
one. 

The first time they talk over each other I'm out of there.

I couldn't stand to watch Hannity & Colmes after a while; Colmes' smug and smiling condescension drove me nuts.  That was after I refused to watch Shep Smith due to his Katrina histrionics.  My aversion to O'Reilly had been growing and after he royally screwed over the woman whose daughters had long ago been kidnapped by their muslim father, that was it for me.

Judge Napolitano's show wasn't bad and now he's gone, too.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
And that vomitous mass known as Beckel on The Five, cannot watch that trash!

Weisshaupt - "I would hate to see our side do that."  Why not?  The myth of the unbiased reporter is just that!  When 90%+ of them are leftists operatives at what point is enough?  Did Ben Franklin or any other early-American journalist bother with "fair & balanced" as a policy or marketing strategy?  Hell no!  I say what is good for the goose ought to be good for the gander as well.  But all too often conservatives just bend over backwards...and they still get drilled in the keister!  How many times must one repeat a mistake before they realize it is time to try something different?

Anyway, I don't expect much of anyting to change, so...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
The notion of unbiased journalism is just one of the Left's many intellectual conceits.  Presenting multiple sides of a given issue is one thing, anyone can do that, it's almost a mechanical process. But that's not the issue really. The issue is the long arc of the narrative, and that is consistently Left/Liberal among at least 90% of the mainstream media outlets.

I think the newspapers in Britain are more sensible. Their editorial biases are well known and they don't make fools of themselves trying to convince their readers otherwise. Everyone knows The Guardian is left wing, and The Telegraph more conservative.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:35:17 AM »
FOX's  " Fair and Balanced" makes more sense than MSNBC's  "Lean Forward" which is the prelude to "Bend Over" !

Offline Sally Brown

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
FOX's idea of "fair and balanced" is to have a Republican "consultant" and a Democrat "consultant" yell at each other for about five minutes and then have a commercial and then repeat the whole process.

I hate it, it's maddening and I'm never informed just frustrated and left feeling that my head's about to shoot off my shoulders and go into orbit.

It would be nice and what I would really, really like is if we could just get straight news reporting with facts not Shepard Smith hyperbole.   Some real, honest investigative reporting would be great.  There are so many things happening in this world right now--it's on fire for Pete's sake--and so many stories begging to be reported on and we're given nothing but political arguments all day long.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 11:30:05 PM »
FOX's idea of "fair and balanced" is to have a Republican "consultant" and a Democrat "consultant" yell at each other for about five minutes and then have a commercial and then repeat the whole process....

It's really maddening because the Democrat consultants are allowed to spew their talking points as if they are facts, and it just creates a "two sides that disagree" dynamic rather than one side telling the truth and the other side lying.

Of course I'm not saying that Republicans don't ever lie. But I'm saying that Democrats always do.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 07:05:33 AM »
It's really maddening because the Democrat consultants are allowed to spew their talking points as if they are facts, and it just creates a "two sides that disagree" dynamic rather than one side telling the truth and the other side lying.

Of course I'm not saying that Republicans don't ever lie. But I'm saying that Democrats always do.

::clapping::

Bravo, IDP!  Spot on!

What I would like to see is for Fox (to expand upon Sally Brown's "investigative reporting" theme) become more akin to Breitbart TV 24/7!  You get ZERO brownie points in Leftardland for being "fair & balanced", and as Sally mentions the "frustration" factor drives many (including me!) away.  I just do not watch many Fox shows anymore.  I like watching the Saturday morning shows from 9-11 just to see what some of my favorite financial guru's have to say, but even those shows have to bring one moronic leftard on to ruin things.  I would like to see hard-hitting investigative reporting exposing every shenanigan our enemies are pulling.  I want our enemies beaten so badly their momma's feel it!

Is that too much to ask for?

Since I have been waiting all my life to see it, yeah, it appears I am asking too much...

::bashing::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »

::clapping::

Bravo, IDP!  Spot on!

What I would like to see is for Fox (to expand upon Sally Brown's "investigative reporting" theme) become more akin to Breitbart TV 24/7!  You get ZERO brownie points in Leftardland for being "fair & balanced", and as Sally mentions the "frustration" factor drives many (including me!) away.  I just do not watch many Fox shows anymore.  I like watching the Saturday morning shows from 9-11 just to see what some of my favorite financial guru's have to say, but even those shows have to bring one moronic leftard on to ruin things.  I would like to see hard-hitting investigative reporting exposing every shenanigan our enemies are pulling.  I want our enemies beaten so badly their momma's feel it!

Is that too much to ask for?

Since I have been waiting all my life to see it, yeah, it appears I am asking too much...

::bashing::
::thumbsup::
I can't stand FOX any more.  My mom watches it constantly and is always asking me if I saw so-and-so on it.  i can't stand 5 minutes of it. 

They seem to have panels for everything! And they never discuss anything substantive.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »
Yeah I quit watching Fox because Hannity just annoys me. It's been said here before, and it's the truth, he is simply an intellectual lightweight who found himself in a heavyweight milieu (Limbaugh and Levin). He fouls out on fast balls pitched straight over the plate, more than any other commentator I know.

He seems desperate to show off that he has liberal friends, especially if they're black.  Uhh, why???

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
I think Hannity and O'Reilly both want to be seen as "reasonable" which accounts for their lame attempts at being interesting and significant.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
...Hannity ...seems desperate to show off that he has liberal friends, especially if they're black.  Uhh, why???

It's those "tokens" Derbyshire was talking about.

::stirpot:: ::angel::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 04:09:51 PM »
I'm thinking in particular of that sports guy, what's his name, Steven somebody?  Hannity gushes over that guy, has him on his radio show all the time. I think we've established a new trope....I'm not exactly sure what to call it, but for a start I'll dub it "Flaunting my reasonableness".

Actually that doesn't quite capture the mentality that I think is at the root.  Perhaps the trope might be more accurately called "Hey everybody, check out how godd**ned reasonable I am!!!"

- Yours Truly