Author Topic: On Kobe Beef...I Did Not Know That  (Read 2782 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
On Kobe Beef...I Did Not Know That
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:43:06 AM »
LINK

You can't get Kobe beef in the US. Who knew? Well, certainly not me. I occasionally will buy high end beef like Omaha Steaks or some other brand but I have never tried "Kobe" beef...hadn't even heard of it until President Dumbass had it served in the WH. Makes me wonder if his was real or fake. It's not supposed to leave Japan for the US...not ever...so, who knows?

Cracks me up, though, that all of the libs and elite wannabe's who try and ape O'Bongo's every move have been shelling out untold amounts for fake Kobe beef. Serves them right, too.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: On Kobe Beef...I Did Not Know That
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
That's interesting, but I'm not sure I feel cheated. The best steak I ever had was "Kobe" from Ruth's Chris. The server said outright that it was from Australia, and detailed how they raise a similar breed of cattle as they do in Japan under the same conditions, massage the cattle every day, yadda-yadda-yadda. So they weren't trying to pass it off as Japanese meat - only Japanese style - and I suppose, using the trademarked name as a selling point.

But still, like I said: Best. Steak. Evah. It was almost $90 for 16oz, and it was literally so tender that I could hold my steak knife loosely between two fingers and run it back-and-forth with almost no downward pressure, and it sliced through easily. And the flavor was just spectacular.

It was something I may never do again due to the extravagant cost, but even if it was once in a lifetime, I don't regret it, and I don't regret that they sold it under the pretenses they did.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
It was something I may never do again due to the extravagant cost, but even if it was once in a lifetime, I don't regret it, and I don't regret that they sold it under the pretenses they did.

It's not the steak eating experience that I find funny. Rather it's the act of bragging about it (O'Bongo WH for example) that cracks me up. Think of it as culinary name-dropping.

I guess to me it conjures up the image of someone hosting a party with a bunch of celebrity impersonators attending and then crowing about it as if the actual famous people themselves had been there, not realizing the difference.

Or pick your analogy.

Snootiness, pretentiousness, snobishness, vanity, hubris...qualities that are obnoxious enough in and of themselves  become all the more absurd when it is revealed that the underlying issue's claim to elitism turns out to be counterfeit.

EDIT: And as I mentioned on another thread which I can't remember...Best steak I ever had was at a Ruth's Chris so I'm right there with you.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:33:36 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »
There's a term that perfectly applies to the Ø'bozo's. It starts with an "N" and ends with "rich" - and it ain't nouveau-riche  ;)