Author Topic: "Painter of Light" passes away at 54  (Read 2104 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Painter of Light" passes away at 54
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »
Thomas Kinkade dies of natural causes.

At 54?!

Kinkade called himself the “Painter of Light,” and his sentimental paintings, with their scenes of country gardens and churches in dewy morning light, were beloved by many but reviled by the art establishment.

“I’m a warrior for light,” Kinkade, a self-described devout Christian, told the San Jose Mercury News in 2002, a reference to the medieval practice of using light to symbolize the divine. “With whatever talent and resources I have, I’m trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel.”
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: "Painter of Light" passes away at 54
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »
fans and critics and bankruptcy

I'd never seen a picture of him before. I knew nothing about him.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »
One year, not too long ago, I bought Gunsmith a signed lithograph that he liked.  Kinkade never sold his originals, so the "art world" had a hissy fit about that.

Fug 'em.

I think his paintings are beautiful and uplifting; he depicted God's gardens in Heaven.  I hope he's there now.

The gallery in which I viewed a good many had a light dimming feature at each one and the effect was surreal.  In the dim light, certain portions of the scenes glowed softly with a light from within.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:36:48 AM »
Being an artist myself ( "Painter of Machineguns") I give Kinkade a lot of credit for (#1) painting in an academic manner what the public can understand and (#2) making a damned nice living at it .

As for his detractors ... when was the last time you saw a monument to a critic ?

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
were beloved by many but reviled by the art establishment.

I guess if it's not created from elephant dung, they think it's not art. ::doublebird::

Never heard of him. I'll have do look into his work. Sounds great.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:46:57 AM »
My mother is a painter, not so much anymore since he health and eyesight are failing, but in productive years she could churn out quite a number of quality depictions.  She favored natural scenes and Kinkaid was a big influence on her, she went through a "cottage" phase that incorporated the Kinkaid style and she would weave in clever little tributes and references to a painting she would do about a family member.

Kinkaid had a surreal and tranquil nature to them and many people like his work, as to his critics, they aren't worth mentioning, jealousy and envy can be ugly.

RIP Thomas.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »
Beauty and talent repulses those with no beauty and talent within themselves.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »

Link
Artist Thomas Kinkade died from an accidental overdose of alcohol and prescription tranquilizers, but his heart had grown so enlarged he had been vulnerable to a fatal heart attack at any point, according to a detailed autopsy report released Tuesday.

OK,  I'll buy that.  It's curious though, seeing as how the coroner also said:

Several other drugs, including two other prescription tranquilizers, were present in his bloodstream. Kinkade's urine contained gamma-hydroxybutyric acid, or GHB, which occurs naturally in the human body but can also be used as the so-called date rape drug.

O'Hara said the painter also had suffered several remote blunt force injuries.

"He had a bruise of his abdomen that was healing, a bruise under his scalp, a hemorrhage under his head, as well as multiple healed rib fractures," O'Hara said. "He took a tumble at some point."

If his estate wasn't bankrupt the family or the cops would be investigating this ala Michael Jackson.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

Link
Artist Thomas Kinkade died from an accidental overdose of alcohol and prescription tranquilizers, but his heart had grown so enlarged he had been vulnerable to a fatal heart attack at any point, according to a detailed autopsy report released Tuesday.

OK,  I'll buy that.  It's curious though, seeing as how the coroner also said:

Several other drugs, including two other prescription tranquilizers, were present in his bloodstream. Kinkade's urine contained gamma-hydroxybutyric acid, or GHB, which occurs naturally in the human body but can also be used as the so-called date rape drug.

O'Hara said the painter also had suffered several remote blunt force injuries.

"He had a bruise of his abdomen that was healing, a bruise under his scalp, a hemorrhage under his head, as well as multiple healed rib fractures," O'Hara said. "He took a tumble at some point."

If his estate wasn't bankrupt the family or the cops would be investigating this ala Michael Jackson.

Possibly, but unfortunately those injuries are of the type very common in latter stage alcoholism.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »
The piece contained this:  "a 2010 bankruptcy filing by one of his companies", not that his estate was bankrupt.