Author Topic: Rock Me  (Read 1272 times)

CatholicCrusader

Rock Me
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:08:24 AM »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Rock Me
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »
Thanks for that BTW...it made for a nice diversion  ::bustamove::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:47 PM »
Just saw the lead singer Jack Russell on "That Metal Show" last night. Dude is back from the typical addiction issues, and is trying to make it clean and sober while dealing with a copyright/trademark war with his former bandmates.

For those who may not remember, these are the guys who were playing in the nightclub that burned to the ground killing 100 people several years ago. That might drive a guy to drink if he was already predisposed.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »
I remember watching this shortly after it happened. It's very creepy watching the opening moments of the video with the realization that most of those on camera (up front) would not survive. 100 people perished.

Coincidentally, the local news video crew was there to do a report on fire safety.

This tragedy reminded me of a concert I attended in the summer of 1979 in Houston. The headliner was Aerosmith at The Summit arena, a basketball and hockey stadium that regularly hosted rock concerts. I along with my friends had purchased a "festival seating" ticket. I found out when I arrived that festival seating was entrance to the floor of the arena...no chairs, just the floor. The doors were closed when we arrived about two hours before the show. Because there were no reserved seats on the floor the crowd pressed very hard against the entry points. We were among the ones at the very front of the crowd and the pressure was intense. It was very bad for the last thirty minutes until the doors opened. Then it was a total free-for-all across the entry way and down into the arena. After the show started the crowd on the floor began surging toward the stage and it wasn't long before everyone in the front third of the floor was tightly packed together. I remember suddenly realizing that my feet were no longer touching the floor and that I was moving at the whim of the crowd. It took over a half hour of constant struggle to move to freedom at the rear of the crowd pressing toward the stage.

I swore after that experience that I would never buy a "festival seating" ticket again. It was only a few months later that the Cincinnati tragedy took place...

Lessons learned.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:10:15 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
I still remember those reports too. "Fortunately" I had my claustrophobia to keep me from similar circumstances. Couple that with a barely-contained paranoia and I was the one who would always be checking whatever building we were going into for potential escape routes. It came in handy one night when they over-sold the hall and locked the emergency exits to prevent freeloaders.

I knew where there were some windows that faced a rear parking area. We bashed them with chairs and made our way out of the overcrowded building.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
I'm glad to know it's not just me.

Whenever I'm in a new venue (sports, entertainment,etc) I always check for exit/escape routes. 

Of course, on more than one occassion I've been accused of being overly cautious if not a little nuts.

(But I know when the SHTF who every one will be running to for help)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »
I'm glad to know it's not just me.

Whenever I'm in a new venue (sports, entertainment,etc) I always check for exit/escape routes. 

Of course, on more than one occassion I've been accused of being overly cautious if not a little nuts.

(But I know when the SHTF who every one will be running to for help)

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »
Jack Russell isn't the only rock star coming back from adversity.

Kerry Livgren Stroke Update Testimony

Although I'd think it would be easier coming back from a major stroke than it would getting the deaths of 100 fans off my mind.