Author Topic: White House: "Buffett Rule" not about deficit reduction; it's about "fairness"  (Read 924 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
This is yet another admission in a long list that is tantamount to saying, "We're Marxists". Where the heck is the media? Is the mainstream media REALLY populated with card-carrying Marxists, or are they just too stupid to recognize it when they see it?

W.H.: Buffett rule not answer to debt

The Obama administration is emphasizing “fairness” over deficit reduction in its renewed pitch for the “Buffett rule” ahead of next week’s scheduled Senate vote.

Introducing a minimum 30 percent income tax on millionaires “was never our plan to bring the deficit down and get the debt under control,” Jason Furman, the principal deputy director of the White House National Economic Council, told reporters on a conference call Monday afternoon...

<snip>

...Obama campaign manager Jim Messina called on Romney to release additional tax filings, saying, “The Buffett rule will help make our system reflect our values as all Americans play by the same rules, do their fair share and get a shot at success.”

What should Romney's response be? It seems like a no brainer to me. You find a tactful way to point point the finger at the 50% of people who pay no income tax at all, thus shining the light of hypocrisy on the Left.

Of course, I have no faith that Mitt Romney could do so without sticking his foot in his mouth, but that is what should be the response.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
The reason stuff like this even gets traction is because there's a big taboo everyone tiptoes around, and that is the inherent INequality of human beings. Some people are smarter, more ambitious, more willing to take risks, and what have you. It's not surprising that those people tend to become wealthy. The same basic reality -- that human beings are unequal in their talents and abilities -- can explain just about any aspect of the human condition.

But the Left is prepared to spill unlimited amounts of blood in their fight against reality. Where the impossibility of their goal becomes privately apparent, they will go about enforcing the next best thing: an elaborate system of official truths. If actual reality cannot be bent to their will, then they'll just make everyone behave as if it is nevertheless so.

To return to the point of taxes and "fairness", you are absolutely right. The tax system is unfair alright, and it's unfair in the exact opposite direction. What is fair about nearly half the population of this country contributing nothing to the public treasury? The fact of the matter is that the majority of poor people are poor because they exhibit traits and behaviors that make people poor. Sure, there are examples of people who are poor as a consequence of one calamity after another, but these are the exception. Most poor people keep themselves shackled to poverty because they have no capacity for delayed gratification. I have such people in my extended family. When they get a windfall, it absolutely burns a hole in their pocket. They can't resist indulging in frivolities right now, then a month later it's back to the woe-is-me routine. I don't know what the solution is, if there even is one, but I know what isn't, and that's excusing them from any responsibility for their own station.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The reason stuff like this even gets traction is because there's a big taboo everyone tiptoes around, and that is the inherent INequality of human beings. Some people are smarter, more ambitious, more willing to take risks, and what have you.

Yes, and in our world (like here at IAL for certain) the characteristics underlined above are considered "normal" for people who know and understand what America's founding was all about.

In contrast, the elite in the Democrat-Media Complex have as their number one agenda the continued manipulation of those less intelligent, less ambitious and less willing to put forth an effort to succeed, in order to keep them on the liberal plantation because it is the only way they can continue the gravy train for losers of life's lottery - the cornerstone of leftist political power!

What the so-called losers need to understand (please note I am segregating them from the outright losers for whom there is no hope of redemption) is that life is NOT a zero sum game, there is no universal law that requires the number of wealthy has to balance with the number of poor, or the number of achievers has to balance to the number of failures!  If people were told they do not have to be losers, they do not have to subsist on the handouts of taxpayers, they do not have to accept perpetual failure...if only they allow themselves to succeed and have the fortitude to work to that end!

The Left in this nation are a cancer, and it is their desire to infect everyone, make everyone the same - think the same, act the same, believe he same, worship the same, have the same home, the same car, the same possessions, the same clothes, the same everything!  I cannot think of anything more hellish!!!  And all the while the real 1% - the Democrat-Media Complex, rules from the lavish heights in stark hypocrisy to the crap coming out of their mouths since birth!

I will die trying to defeat that hellish nightmare with every fiber of my being as long as I have one breath in me!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

In contrast, the elite in the Democrat-Media Complex have as their number one agenda the continued manipulation of those less intelligent, less ambitious and less willing to put forth an effort to succeed, in order to keep them on the liberal plantation because it is the only way they can continue the gravy train for losers of life's lottery - the cornerstone of leftist political power!

It's difficult to orginize or focus this group; getting them to the voting booth is difficult.
I think this, every bs dance the Democrats are doing, is Kabuki.  Prince and his handlers
have this election rigged he will win by a significant margin. 
"The people have made their choice clear"