Author Topic: Suicide in the Face of Death vs. Fighting to Live  (Read 16368 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Suicide in the Face of Death vs. Fighting to Live
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
Please bear with me here, because I’ll be drawing some analogies directly related to the November 2012 election.

We are most thrown out of our comfort zones when we are faced with circumstances beyond our control. Nothing exemplifies this more profoundly than people fighting cancer. Most of us have known them and loved them, or perhaps you’ve even been one of them.

Some have lived, some have died. Some fought long, and some succumbed early. We’ve seen their pain, their struggle, their doubt, their regret, their anger, and their unanswered questions about why they must walk this path, all bubbling to the surface; manifest in as many ways as there are people fighting to live.

Suffering along side the stricken are their loved ones. Perhaps you’ve been one of them, doing your best to stay strong and supportive in the fog of your own swirling emotion.

We’ve seen harsh treatments for the disease; treatments so horribly wracking the body that it is nearly unbearable to watch. We can hardly believe that doing such intentional destruction can be “medicine”, and yet, sometimes… sometimes. And there lies our hope. There and with God.

So we pray for recovery, comfort, strength, courage, miracles. And if those prayers seem to go unanswered and we must watch people continue to struggle, we stamp down our thoughts that perhaps it might be better for the person if their struggle ended, because our desire for them to live is so dominant that considering the alternative as being preferable seems unthinkable...

But hovering somewhere over our “bad” shoulder we hear a strong argument being made for those who are suffering who decide that the struggle is not worth the pain. They know their family needs them, and we can see that they love their sweet, God-given life. And yet, a part of us that we don’t gladly entertain has empathy for those who are reaching the end of their tolerance, accepting that they are going to exit this world regardless of their desire to live, and are coming to the conclusion that they can take no more.

So here’s the thing. The United States of America has an apparently terminal illness. She has been relentlessly attacked by the insidious, malignant cancer of Leftism. Not just since 2008, but for decades.

The symptoms? Utterly untenable debt and economic devastation due to an out of control federal government; eroding international influence, credibility, prosperity and power; cultural division and degradation, racial strife, and normalization of perversion; loss of defining national values; pervasive national self-doubt and self-loathing, loss of hope, loss of trust, and loss of perspective; crippling enslavement to entitlement; destructive social and economic engineering; eroding national, state, and individual sovereignty; progressive un-tethering from constitutional government; erosion of common law, contract law, and blind justice – replaced increasingly by bureaucratic or administrative edict and subjective justice; eroding economic liberty and freedom of association; overall loss of opportunity that comes from liberty; usurpation of property rights, and parental rights…

This list goes on, and we all know it in our guts. We can feel the deadly toll of this cancer in our national body. It threatens our beloved nation’s life.

This Leftist disease is killing the American Dream to the degree that a path to a better future for our progeny is not clear or even visible. We can make noises about a “shining city on a hill” and “land of the free, home of the brave”, and those are good noises – necessary, I would argue. But the reality is, the prognosis for our Motherland is dire, and the past is not the future. We are in a fight for America's life against the Leftist disease, and the treatment may kill the body as readily as the disease. And even if the treatment is successful, the body will never be the same again.

Some won’t want to hear this, but all of the symptoms of this Leftist cancer have happened in the presence of and sometimes with the aid of - or even at the hands of – Republicans. Hence our broad distrust of and disgust with the GOP. So we should all understand in our heart of hearts that electing Republicans is not a cure for this cancer. Rather, Republicans are like a destructive treatment that must be overcome so that the body can fight on to live another day – and perhaps if for another day, then for many lifetimes. The harsh medicine we are being offered: Electing Republicans like Mitt Romney – in effect “killing” Leftist cancer cells by removing them from the body, so that we – the antibodies – have another day, week, month, year, or term to do our desperate healing work.

So you see, We The People – not the GOP - are the antibodies against this Leftist malignancy. The GOP is only our chemo/radiation/surgery. The GOP is not a cure for Leftism, but it can give the body a fighting chance, IF we are strong enough and committed enough to fight against both the treatment AND the disease. We don't place our faith in the treatment, but in our body's ability to withstand the treatment and emerge healthy.

Now the crux of this piece: There are many conservatives who justifiably perceive that a Mitt Romney presidency and even a Republican congress have no hope of curing the cancer that has overtaken the American body. For us, the pain and disappointment has become so profound; the harsh realities of the disease and treatment so much to bear; that continuing faith in that remedy feels insane. We've seen our desperate 2010 lurch toward sanity squandered. We justifiably see that the cancer (Leftism) and the treatment (Republicans) are all but on par in their deadly effect to the body.

So we have a choice to make. And yes, it is the classic loathsome political choice between the lesser of two evils. In the face of being overtaken by a deadly and painful cancer we are at the end of our tolerance for both disease and treatment, and we are contemplating: “suicide” or “more treatment”. We can fight through the pain to live another day by supporting Republicans again, and hope that day leads to many more days, and some kind of positive future when we reclaim our nation. Or we can choose to end the fight for America’s monumental struggle to live, and stay home or vote 3rd party. The choice is that stark, and that real.

For those conservatives who say that they cannot and will not vote for Mitt Romney: I respect your commitment to principles, and I do not assume that you have arrived at your decision lightly. I respect the argument that says, “Continuing to repeat the same behavior expecting different results is insanity.”

But I want you to understand your decision in this context: You are choosing to do your part in ending the pain of the cancer by refusing the treatment. You are taking the choice way from your “family” - those who wish to see America take her harsh medicine in the hope of the body living to fight another day. You are deciding that it is your place to choose a self-determined death as being preferable and more dignified than this same old prolonged struggle, even though others would choose to stand and fight the disease for a while longer.

I respect and understand the pain that leads to your reasoning. But I want you to think of this: if it is you on that deathbed, and you choose to abandon the fight and take your own life, you will do so in a quick and painless manner. But if you choose to participate in withholding America’s medicine, there will be no quick painless death. There will be only prolonged agony, not just for you, but for everyone you love. You will be forced to watch as the American body you cherish goes through a malignant cell mutation unlike anything from your gravest nightmares, and the monster that emerges in the end will not die, and it will definitely not be to your liking.

So I encourage you now: Buck-up, citizen. Fighting for life in the face of death is indeed the courageous decision. Swallow your medicine, and vote Mitt Romney ‘12. Fight enthusiastically to eradicate the malignant Barack Hussein Obama cell from the body politic. Give us antibodies a fighting chance.

I’m going to take that harsh Mitt Romney medicine, even if I have to swallow it down with a stiff shot of bile.

HT: Libertas for sparking the idea
Cross-Posted @ RedState

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:05:21 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline amperfectunion

• Likes the place
    • A Most Perfect Union
Re: Suicide in the Face of Death vs. Fighting to Live
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »
I agree completely, and for the students of history out there, the things we are now facing in this nation are the primary reasons historians point out as the cause of the fall of the Roman Empire.

If the Republicans lose this election, that's the end of the Republican party.  Hopefully, something more conservative replaces it.  If we win...Mitt better not screw it up, or else that's the end of the Republican party.  We are literally sitting on the edge of a knife in this nation, and I think the 2012 election will be a pivotal moment in our history, where either we choose life or death.
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/amperfectunion
Check out the website! www.amostperfectunion.com

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »

::thumbsup::
           See you at RS.

Offline Sally Brown

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
Well said.  And I agree.

As I've said before it was the President of the United States promising the Communists--yes they still are--that he would basically cede the United States of America to them.  Part of Billy Ayers plan?

So, yes, I'll do what I swore I couldn't possibly do and vote for a hope and a prayer.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »
I agree with most but the medicine isn't the GOP as the GOP is like treating the symptoms and not the illness with pain relievers. The treatment will be civil war as we must kill the cancer instead of placating to it. Leftism is the cause but the cancer cells are in fact our fellow citizens that will do anything and everything to fight leftism eradication therefore we must kill the cancer cells meaning the most virulent elements of it.

The chasm is so wide at this point in time that building a bridge to the other side is well like traveling to the next star cluster might be easier and more gratifying. Search your feelings, you know I'm right.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34:08 PM »
(I know I shouldn't do this)

I loathe employing the term but sometimes it's simply the most appropriate: "The lesser of two evils"

I don't believe mittens to be evil (I do think that Øbozo is), but he is like a school nurse trying to treat a ruptured aorta. I don't think he's up to the job - at all. So I'm faced with harsh choices for a bleak future.

I don't see much good on the horizon. If Øbozo is reelected I don't see any good anywhere. At this precise moment I am relatively well situated. A warm place to sleep, food on the plate, and comparatively decent comfort. I recognize that people or circumstances beyond my control could easily cause that to vaporize in an instant. Trends indicate that those conditions are slipping away from me and will continue at an even faster pace.

While I'm still young enough to pack my necessities and use them in the fashion that they were intended I would prefer to just get to it. Do it now.

Or I can support the lesser of two evils and play like the froggie in the boiler.

Tick tick tick...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
I get what you're saying. I'm 34. I'd rather it go down now than when I'm 54 or 64.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »
As I said in the piece, I do respect those who see no value in perpetuating the political game, and I meant it. But I've reached a different conclusion, and I want to at least go on record with my reasoning.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »
Oh, I'm going to vote for Romney. The ability to cast a vote was paid for with a lot of blood, and I think we owe it to those who picked up the tab. I just don't think it's going to do much good.

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:35 PM »
I don't have nay faith that it will do any good. I have hope, but no faith.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »

It's here.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
The belief that our difficulties can be solved entirely through the political process is among the most pernicious fantasies of our time.

I agree with all Frank is saying, and still think that if there is a shred of hope for the citizenry to force a turnaround, we cannot have an avowed Marxist at the helm of government.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »
I agree with most but the medicine isn't the GOP as the GOP is like treating the symptoms and not the illness with pain relievers. The treatment will be civil war as we must kill the cancer instead of placating to it. Leftism is the cause but the cancer cells are in fact our fellow citizens that will do anything and everything to fight leftism eradication therefore we must kill the cancer cells meaning the most virulent elements of it.

The chasm is so wide at this point in time that building a bridge to the other side is well like traveling to the next star cluster might be easier and more gratifying. Search your feelings, you know I'm right.

If I had the Firefly, I would already be gone. I don't, and yes the cancer has spread to more than 50% of the body politic, and there will be no healing coming from that quarter. This patient is dead. Buying time for the patient to heal will only prolong the agony. I respect IDP's position, and yeah, even though I really despise the man, I will probably get really drunk and go and Vote for Romney anyway. It will accomplish nothing. Romney  will open the gates for the barbarians as quickly as Obama would. Who President Scapegoat is doesn't really matter. I would like to see it pinned on Borat so I can enjoy watching him tared, feathered, dragged through the streets and hung by the same crowd he is inciting to violence now. But if its Romney, so what? Its not like Liberals will accept the blame for their policies in any event. Obama was never one of "them" , you see.

Collapse is inevitable at this point, and we can't see how it will turn out. All I know is I won't help a stinkin one of them.  I was in line for fast food today. Two teachers behind me were on "furlough" for the day because of budget constraints. They were complaining that the other teachers weren't "mad enough" and they should be at the capitol protesting on this "day off" - but I noticed these two weren't. No. They meant OTHER teachers. They then talked about trying to convert someone else to being a Democrat. I am standing there in my Browncoats T-shirt, "Aim to misbehave" printed right on my back, and it was one of those moments where saying something wasn't an option, because it would be a short fuse to where blood was spilled.

Yeah, I know most of them are stupid sheep, idiots who never had a thought in their minds. Suckers following the cheater. I don't care anymore at all. I won't help them. I won't argue with them. I will just shoot any  that gets in my way come Teotwaki and think less of it than I would a deer. These morons still haven't a clue that the day of reckoning is coming - one way or the other.  It's not time yet. But I can smell blood  in the air.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 08:15:52 AM »
Soup - "While I'm still young enough to pack my necessities and use them in the fashion that they were intended I would prefer to just get to it. Do it now.
Or I can support the lesser of two evils and play like the froggie in the boiler.  Tick tick tick..."

This is the world in which I find myself...I feel like the ping-pong ball in a game that won't end...and the only thing winning at this point is weariness...

Glock - "I get what you're saying. I'm 34. I'd rather it go down now than when I'm 54 or 64."

I'm closing in on 52 this year, what I wouldn't give for 34!  I'm still plenty active and capable, but really how much time does the nation have relative my usefulness?  Tick tick tick...

It is not helping my nerves!   ::outrage::

IDP - "As I said in the piece, I do respect those who see no value in perpetuating the political game, and I meant it. But I've reached a different conclusion, and I want to at least go on record with my reasoning."

I must offer my congratulations sir, that post is one of the best I have ever read!  I found it both brilliant and frustrating, and I shall explain both of these in a little more detail.  Its brilliance is rooted in the quality of the writing and in the superb use of analogy.  It is also written from the heart as well of the head, thus adding emphasis to the sincerity to the entire product.  Its frustration comes entirely from my own baggage…because IDP is essentially correct.  Like Glock, I find myself forced to cast my ballot for Romney despite the loud and omnipresent screaming in my head that it is of no use.  But I cannot throw something as precious as my vote away, because the vote was paid for by the blood of our families, friends and all who have preceded us, and because my vote is not entirely mine …I bear a responsibility not only to myself, but to those I love and respect…and if they desire more time to be together in relative peace who am I to deny them that time?

PS-My RedState ID must have lapsed, I cannot access the site, I'll have to set up a new account, otherwise fat kudos on that post!   ::gaah::

So, I may be supporting the GOP nominee in the voting booth, but I am likely not going to be an enthusiastic supporter and I reserve my financial support for those candidates for federal and state legislative races whom I deem the most conservative and most deserving of such support.

I only hope I have the ability and means to still be useful to my family and friends whenever the time comes.

::USA::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:10 AM »

Well said.

At Red State it was necessary to click the recommend button
more than one cycle before being acknowledged.  

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
This was an excellent article.
Well thought and well written.

While reading it, I found myself questioning my stated plan to never vote for Romney.
For a short while, I changed my mind.
The article was that good and compelling.

After considering it more, I don't feel the Republican party can be saved or should be.
If we take the Senate, for example, we get McConnell. We'll continue to have Boner even though there are a few attempts to replace him.

SCOTUS? Harriet Meirs, anyone?Anthony Kennedy?

At what point, do we say no more McCain, Dole, Bush1, or compassionate conservative George W?

Liberty is lost.
The American people have no idea about freedom.

NDAA is a Republican law as well as the Patriot Act, Homeland Security...
We are done.

Although I say often that I am voting 3rd party, there is at least a 50-50 chance I will pull the lever for Romney in November while throwing up in my mouth.

Not sure O will lose.
Mitt is the wrong candidate.
Even if we didn't care about principle and just wanted a Pub

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 10:19:21 AM »
Excellently put IDP.  I still have hope that "we the people" can turn things around, and any vote not for the Republican candidate is a vote for obama.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
We have to vote for Romney.  I'm as prone to getting strident in my bitching as anyone, but the cliche about "this is the most important election" is genuinely true this year.  I wish we'd taken principled stands against RINO candidates in the past, and maybe we could have replaced or altered the GOP by now, but we didn't.

How many men died an anonymous death on a forgotten battlefield so that we can even have an electoral process? I'm going to vote against this Marxist street agitator, if nothing else out of respect for those who paid the bill. They did their part so that we can do ours.

I still agree with Weisshaupt though, about collapse being inevitable, barring a miracle anyway.

- Yours Truly