Author Topic: John Carter, The Movie  (Read 682 times)

Offline radioman

• A Regular
John Carter, The Movie
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:13:49 AM »
John Carter the Movie

The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris. In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

Of course, what he finds out when he is on Mars is that there is a 'superior' force that is bigger than our Universe that goes around planting evil capitalism on planets that have life, so that the planet become viscerally divided to the point where they kill themselves off. They also kill the planet with their evil capitalistic greed.

Then they can swoop down and collect the valuable resources.

After watching this film, I'm convinced that we are fast approaching that magic time when they will start 'swooping'.

Maybe the Mayans were on to them back when, and discovered that the magic date for their 'swooping' will be in 2012. Who knows?

Could Obama really be a 'swooper'? We know he's not an Hawaiian, Merican, Kenya doesn't really want to claim him, He's not a Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or Christian. Even with the new discoveries from the Red Cavemen, he doesn't fit the profile. He's not Chineese, PorkoPeese, Portugeese, Serbeese, or Herbeese.

So, there is a very distinct possibility that he is a 'Swooper'. What else could he be?

I'm only telling you this because there is going to be a Whole Lot of Swooping Going On! You better get your Swooper Rags and your Swooper Ass ready!!
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: John Carter, The Movie
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:51:07 PM »
I hadn't heard this anti-capitalist commentary yet. I will reserve judgement until I see the movie. And might as well see it because it will hold the record for biggest movie flop in history due to its super over budget status.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »
It is a confirmed flop Trap. They're bummin big-time.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:53 AM »
I read a story somewhere (can't remember where) that went into detail about how things at Disney got out of hand with this movie. It had to do with a new studio chief who didn't have any experience in film production and distribution...someone who was a former tv exec or something. Plus there were other names of top execs who where in over their heads for some reason or another. But the bottom line was that they spent so much money making, marketing and advertising the film that there was just no way for it to ever pay off. All of the target audience in the country would have to see the movie several times for it to break even or make a profit. Movies that do that (the original Star Wars movie comes immediately to mind) are exceptionally rare.

I'll still see it, though.

I heard that one the of more mundane decisions regarding the movie was to change the title from "John Carter of Mars" to "John Carter" because "Mars Needs Moms" was a flop and therefore people don't like movies with "Mars" in the title. Using that logic there had better not be any movies with "Mom" in the title, either. That anecdote may not be true but it does illustrate the "logic" that goes into decisions at the highest levels in Hollywood.

I watched the Christopher Guest movie, "For Your Consideration" on cable a few nights ago and one of the gags was that the movie which was being made and "mockumented" was called "Home For Purim." The story of the movie (within the movie) was about two grown children coming home to celebrate Purim with their father and dying mother. The studio bigwig (played obnoxiously in character by Ricky Gervais) said, "Hey, love it, love it but can we make it a little less "Jewsy" so that it will appeal to a broader audience? Maybe do something with the title? You know...that sort of thing." In the next scene everyone was very enthusiastically referring to the movie as "Home For Thanksgiving," completely ignoring that it had ever been called anything else. Such is the whorish attitude in Hollywood between the alleged artists and their overseers.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »
http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2012/04/21/disneys-rich-ross-the-rise-and-fall-of-an-entertainment-mogul/

After two and a half years at the helm of of Walt Disney Studios, Chairman Rich Ross, 50, stepped down on Friday. Ross’ departure comes on the heels of the high-profile failure of the sci-fi/fantasy epic John Carter. The $250 million film, which Disney hoped would be the year’s first blockbuster, only earned $269 million worldwide. After distribution and marketing expenses, John Carter‘s dismal take equals a loss of $80-120 million for Disney.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus