Author Topic: Map of the Dead  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Map of the Dead
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »
Shocking, high density areas and higher risk of zombies, who would have thought it?!

::)

Nice map though.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/map-dead-how-survive-zombie-apocalypse
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Map of the Dead
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
Shocking, high density areas and higher risk of zombies, who would have thought it?!

Nice map though.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/map-dead-how-survive-zombie-apocalypse

Seems strictly population based.. but oddly  One town with a pop of 300 - is NOT on the the map.  The other town with a population of 600 is - so there is obviously some magic density threshold. Also the danger-area seems to just be the municipality boundary, and not a true density mapping.  One town has a 6000 population, and the next one has 600 and they both map to about the same area.  I would expect a exponential relationship if this was modeled correctly. Yes, I know this is "just for fun" but it would be more interesting   to see true density and actual areas calculated on that.

Even better would b a map land sustainability vs population. i.e. a goods transport apocalypse map where goods can no longer get from one area to another- even better a slider that lets you chose how far food can be cost effectively transported.  A given bit of area will support X number of people, and then have colors donote the number who must die because the land resources around and transport limits prevent any more food from going anywhere. That would be cool. Wish I were retired so I could work on it :>)  Be a pain though, because you would basically have to do it by address mapping of each individual household to a geographic location, figure out the land sustainability of the region ( how?)  and then choose density by the transport range, and do it over and over, for a number of locations within the radius. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »
Good points Weisshaupt, those enhancements would be very time consuming to build and would be somewhat out of date by the time the finished product was rolled out.  But the logistics issues, population density and land use analysis will have to be performed by each of us.  Food logistics is somewhat easier to estimate, proximity to rail and highways in relation to producers and distributors will dictate who may receive (final) distributions and who won't...best to stock up on nonperishable and working toward your own subsistence than rely upon the established infrastructure which will be hard-pressed to meet the demands of masses of starving zombies.  The die-back issue intrigues me, how many and by number-by day projection would be most valuable in identifying potential zombie safe zones and hot zones, estimating migration patterns could be quite troublesome, but it could be done if one factored in average gas capacity & mileage against time and choke points to estimate how many are able to escape high density areas and how far they may go before running empty.  Yeah, that'd be one huge undertaking.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Fed's already have such an analysis on hand for all manner of system failures (complete with potential responses!), so all we really have to do is get our hands on their data!
 ;)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
Good points Weisshaupt, those enhancements would be very time consuming to build and would be somewhat out of date by the time the finished product was rolled out.  But the logistics issues, population density and land use analysis will have to be performed by each of us.  Food logistics is somewhat easier to estimate, proximity to rail and highways in relation to producers and distributors will dictate who may receive (final) distributions and who won't...best to stock up on nonperishable and working toward your own subsistence than rely upon the established infrastructure which will be hard-pressed to meet the demands of masses of starving zombies.  The die-back issue intrigues me, how many and by number-by day projection would be most valuable in identifying potential zombie safe zones and hot zones, estimating migration patterns could be quite troublesome, but it could be done if one factored in average gas capacity & mileage against time and choke points to estimate how many are able to escape high density areas and how far they may go before running empty.  Yeah, that'd be one huge undertaking.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Fed's already have such an analysis on hand for all manner of system failures (complete with potential responses!), so all we really have to do is get our hands on their data!
 ;)

I wouldn't be surprised either.

... you would basically have to do it by address mapping of each individual household to a geographic location ...

The Feds supposedly GPS'd every house.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:48:10 AM »
 ::thinking::

GPs'd eh?  I wonder how I can mess with that?

Yes, sometimes I do go out out of my way to be a pain in the ass!  It's my civic duty! 

(My current battle with the city over a smart meter is in a lull, makes me wonder what they're up to!)

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »

Company in my town said I'm not required to use the smart meter,
also said they're not required to sell me electricity.
                                                                             >:(

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »
You could probably take a map of registered Democrat households and infer a lot of useful information from that, i.e. where to not be.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »

Any big city USA.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »
I live near an indian reservation that curiously shows up as a safe zone (yea right!). So according to this zombiemap I'm in the clear.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »
Yeah, and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumps! 

::unknowncomic::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »
That sucks. Evidently, I don't live as rural as I thought. Too close to the danger zone for my comfort. Need more ammo.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »
Yeah, I got 4000 rnds in 8 diff calibers and it feels light...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
Yeah, I got 4000 rnds in 8 diff calibers and it feels light...

Yeah, I'm about the same.  Most of mine is vested in 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R calibers. I have a K or two of 9mm and 45. 357 SIG is my carry round, and I'm a fan of it ballistically, but it's not a viable SHTF caliber.

I need to get something in 5.56 and 7.62 NATO.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
There are few things in life where the term "too much" doesn't apply and I contend ammo is definitely one of 'em!

machinegun

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
Most of mine is vested in 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R calibers.

Nagant and SKS? ::thumbsup::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »
Most of mine is vested in 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R calibers.

Nagant and SKS? ::thumbsup::

Yep on both counts, plus a few AK-pattern rifles.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »
Damn I'm going to cross the 1100 round mark for my .40 this weekend now I feel like I'm way way behind.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie