Author Topic: The Cabin in the Woods  (Read 676 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
The Cabin in the Woods
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
If you're not a fan of high-gore horror flicks, "The Cabin in the Woods" might not be for you. Blood by the gallons, mild nudity, cursing - typical R rated horror film these days.

However, if you're a fan of the creative and never-predictable mind of Joss Whedon (Firefly, Serenity), you might want to expand your horizons enough to see this film.

The title would lead one to expect a slasher flick. You would be about 10% correct. I cannot explain what makes this film different without giving away the premise. But I can say that this is the most original and imaginative take on the horror genre I've seen, perhaps ever.

It gives you some tastes of satisfaction in rare moments of predictability. One scene in particular, you KNOW what's gonna happen, and the film sets you up to expect to see it, and the scene unfolding to sate your anticipation is the payoff.

But by-and-large, this film is one unexpected bizarre twist after another, revealing the most bizarre thing of all - the main plot - in layers that are as interesting as they are imaginative. You leave the film wondering what kind of mind could conceive of such things. To watch the filmmakers take this uber-predictable genre and turn it on its head like this was very satisfying.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: The Cabin in the Woods
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
I told mrs. trapeze that we will have to go when it shows up at our local theater. Hoping it does show up. She's not much for the horror genre (and I'm not much of a fan, either) but we both appreciate clever story telling not to mention seeing something different in a movie.

Plus...Joss Whedon.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »
I thought of another way to expand my review above without giving away the plot.

All films - but especially genres that deal with not just fictional stories but with entirely fictional premises - require a suspension of disbelief. Horror and sci-fi are on par as requiring the most, because depending on the film, the entire story - not just characters and plot - is based on things that the audience knows does not and/or cannot exist.

In horror films, the suspension of disbelief is almost universally required regarding the monster/entity, etc. Zombies - can't happen. Vampires - can't happen. Werewolves - can't happen. Escaping the dream world to terrorize teens - can't happen. Monster that comes out of hibernation once every decade/millennium, etc - can't happen. Ghosts - 99.99% of moviegoers have never claimed to see one. Psycho killers can happen, and I think that's why they've occupied a special place in the genre - because they speak of a monster that does lurk. But psycho killers that cannot die no matter what - well, we all know that can't happen.

What this movie does so successfully is that it requires you to suspend your disbelief in many different areas, but the "monsters" are the least significant of those requirements. They are the "given" in the story that is even suggested by the title of the movie. But it's everything else that takes you for the twisting ride as the layers of the plot onion are peeled, and the monsters are just a required element of the story that the viewer expects. The things you expect to see are there, but only to serve as a backdrop to demonstrate the weirdness and unpredictability of the things you never saw coming.

The more I think about it, the more ingenious I think it is. It's certainly not the best film ever. Maybe not even the best horror film ever. But it definitely was not tired, worn out, stale, or predictable. I had fun with it.

Take all these comments as coming from someone who has always adored the genre.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sally Brown

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
I'm convinced that Joss Whedon has a very interesting and confused subconscience.

He's a self-proclaimed left winger and claims to despise conservatives...and yet.  He writes about consequences of actions and taking responsibility for them, redemption, individualism, too much big government (Firefly) etc., etc..  His themes and opinions are very conservative/libertarian. 

I can only surmise that he is another brain washed liberal who really has no idea what a conservative is or what one believes.