Author Topic: The Obama Administration As Gilligan's Island  (Read 849 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The Obama Administration As Gilligan's Island
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »
This was in the headlines at HotAir and it's just too good to not have it here, too. Paul "The Forehead" Begala penned this piece for the Daily Beast and I suppose he thought that he was making a very clever comparison between Romney and O'Bongo as Thurston Howell III and the Professor. The problems is that it's not a very good comparison given the "facts" on both sides of the analogy and that it leaves the readers to conjure up all sorts of other comparisons between the idiots on the island and the O'Bongo administration.

Here are the opening paragraphs to Begala's opinion piece:

And so the presidency of the United States has come down to a choice between Thurston Howell III and the Professor. It’s interesting—and surprising—that in this populist time both parties have nominated leaders from their elite wings.

And I mean elite. In Mitt Romney the Republicans have the apotheosis of wealth worship. Romney has amassed a fortune so vast he is expanding his $12 million beachfront mansion and installing an elevator ... for his cars. For his cars, people. If you’re insanely rich, you might have an elevator in your mansion. But a lift for your Lexus? Keep in mind he’s running for office, for Pete’s sake. What’s he going to do if he wins? Use orphans as human golf tees?

Barack Obama is an elite as well. He’s a millionaire author (although Romney could buy and sell him a hundred times—well, probably just buy him once and lay everyone off). But more important, he is the kind of elite that Democrats love: an academic elite. A professor of constitutional law at the University of Chicago, president of the Harvard Law Review, graduate of Columbia University: the egghead trifecta.

So, yeah, this is supposed to be a "funny" take on the class warfare strategy that O'Bongo is left with given the utter failure of his policies. But it is pathetic. O'Bongo was never a professor. He was by several accounts the weakest president of the Harvard Law Review ever. And his grades have never been released so the academic pedigree is suspect given the obvious ineptitude in office.

Romney is a tone deaf politician if ever there was one but he earned his wealth so Begala can suck it if he doesn't like that inconvenient truth.

Actually, Begala only makes the Gilligan's Island analogy at the beginning of his piece. The rest of it is full of other stupid comparisons too, though.

Here is the link to the comments at HotAir on this topic.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: The Obama Administration As Gilligan's Island
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
See, now I think of Biden as Little Buddy, and Obama as the chimp in that one episode.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
I see Biden as the skipper...a sort of a funny, lovable dumbass. O'Bongo is Gilligan who doesn't know enough to tie his shoes properly and everyone on the island pretty much correctly assumes is a moron.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
I see Obongo as the leader of the neighbors from nearby headhunter island...all that leftist thug knows how to do is feed off of others!  And the rest of the democrats comprise the rest of the headhunter team!  The poor shipwrecked folks represent the people continually pillaged by these marauding feral beasts!

Hilarious how these asshats keep throwing Obama's titles in peoples faces like it means something!  The actual substance behind the titles is ZILCH!  Which is why NO RECORDS of this affirmative action asshat will ever be seen in the light of day!  Keep the myth alive, jackasses!

::doublebird::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
The Professor was the dullest dumbass on the island .

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
I have a different take.....I become infuriated when leftists use the elitist rich republican angle. Who cares if he has elevators for thier cars. I remember when Americans strived to be the best they could be.  Romney has been handed the golden goose here, if he understands it.

Please, Mr romney....please......tell this guy, in case he isn't familiar with capitalism, when you contracted to install elevators, a marvelous set of events occured. A manufacturer had to produce them, a salesperson sold them, an architect had to draw it up, a city received a fee, an installer received a job , they use tools, screws and a host of other necessary products. All need to be produced. This sir, is how you create or save a job.....It is not done by printing money, creating class envy or raping another tax dollar from the "rich".

Please Mr Romney....Please, do not apologize for making money. Do not. Please, I beg you for all thats good, do not allow the narrative to be set. What you did, because of your success, is keep America moving forward. Please, again please, don't be made to feel ashamed. Success is what this country needs. It is the examples which will bring us back.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »

I agree. He could make a radio out of a coconut, but couldn't patch a friggin hole in a boat?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 07:42:53 AM »

I agree. He could make a radio out of a coconut, but couldn't patch a friggin hole in a boat?

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.