Author Topic: House Republicans Block EPA from Banning Lead in Ammunition  (Read 1598 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
House Republicans Block EPA from Banning Lead in Ammunition
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:01:20 AM »
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/04/house-republicans-block-epa-from-banning-lead-in-ammunition/

Good for the House.  Too bad the Senate will grab ankles and/or Stymie veto.  Anyway, this battle will spill into the appropriations bill, so they better hold firm!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: House Republicans Block EPA from Banning Lead in Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »
Damn. I'm stocking up as fast as I can and it seems to be too slow. ::facepalm::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »
A nearby county built a really nice range, with taxpayer money (what else?), and is open to the public and to law enforcement as well.  A couple of years ago, an "environmental" group started a big, noisy campaign about the "lead dangers"; trace amounts of lead residue making its way from the actual range portion into the rest of the facility, bathrooms, hallways, office and great-room.  A public health-hazard doncha know.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »
A nearby county built a really nice range, with taxpayer money (what else?), and is open to the public and to law enforcement as well.  A couple of years ago, an "environmental" group started a big, noisy campaign about the "lead dangers"; trace amounts of lead residue making its way from the actual range portion into the rest of the facility, bathrooms, hallways, office and great-room.  A public health-hazard doncha know.

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

;)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
It's such a transparent attempt to attack gun ownership.  WTF do they think lead comes from in the first place?  Lead in the environment rapidly oxidizes, forming a nearly insoluble skin on the surface that prevents further dissolution of the lead into its surroundings.

But how lucky you are to have a nice range nearby Pandora.  I have no public outdoor ranges nearby, the closest one is about 30 miles away.  My preference is some private land out in the boonies.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »
It is a nice range; the Sir Raleigh Gun Club runs it.  The guys hover, though.  I had one reach around me once, when the range was "cold", to adjust my unloaded and open wheel-gun on the bench because the barrel was not pointing 100% down-range.

I'd rather shoot in the boonies, m'self.  The light is better outside.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
It is a nice range; the Sir Raleigh Gun Club runs it.  The guys hover, though.  I had one reach around me once, when the range was "cold", to adjust my unloaded and open wheel-gun on the bench because the barrel was not pointing 100% down-range.

I got banned from a club because of that. Well actually it was because of what I said to the rangemaster. Something along the lines of "You touch my weapons again and you'll be drawing back a bloody stump".

::evil::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »

I got banned from a club because of that. Well actually it was because of what I said to the rangemaster. Something along the lines of "You touch my weapons again and you'll be drawing back a bloody stump".

::evil::

Just so.  Range etiquette requires one ask before touching and that goes for the 'minders too, afaic.  I get the range-safety thing, but there's no reason to hassle people over nonsense.

One other thing I don't get about most ranges is that they insist the weapons brought in are cased and unloaded.  That means I have to unload and stow my concealed-carry piece before entering.  Duh.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
It is a nice range; the Sir Raleigh Gun Club runs it.  The guys hover, though.  I had one reach around me once, when the range was "cold", to adjust my unloaded and open wheel-gun on the bench because the barrel was not pointing 100% down-range.

I'm trying hard to imagine the amount of self-restraint you had to muster....  ::thinking::

I haven't been to a controlled range in a long time, but have heard lots of stories like that. One guy related a story of being ejected from a range because he didn't have the bolt on his AK locked open during the cold range. That would be because AKs don't have a hold-open. With such firearms the accepted practice is to stick a fired case or plastic indicator in the bolt to show that it is not locked and loaded. I guess RO Buzzkill didn't get that memo.

Yep, private land is the way to go if you can.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »
You know what.....lead may become a public health hazard.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »

Nice back yard.

1911 at 230 Yards

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:34 AM »
"Life is good" because he can at least see the damn gong from there, nevermind hit it.   ::confused::

Offline Delta Force

• Likes the place
  • "You can run, but you'll just die tired!"
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »

I was a range officer for my law enforcement agency and even if one of my troopers didn't have his weapon pointed directly downrange, I wouldn't dream of touching his weapon.  If the weapon really needed to be moved, the trooper was instructed to readjust it and reminded of the necessity of keeping the barrel downrange.

I really need to get a good weapon like the one in my avatar.  You never know when you might be required to reach out and touch someone.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »
All due respect, the weapon is unloaded and open.  100% pointed downrange at that point is no more than useless, pointless, repetitious nit-picking.  Particularly with a wheel-gun.  The empty gun is not going to jump off the bench and shoot someone on a range, hot, cold or otherwise.

This kind of bullsht just makes common-sense people nuts and resistant.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »
The liability issues today are insane, even ubber-qualified instructors have to have insurance on file with where thye go or they can't teach squat on your local range.  Once again over-zealous lawyers and morons ruin it for everyone else.