Author Topic: Chuck Colson  (Read 1603 times)

charlesoakwood

Chuck Colson
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:21:30 AM »

Chuck Colson, the evangelical leader who dedicated his life to ministering to convicts after serving time himself in prison and coming to know God, has died. He was 80.

Colson was hospitalized March 30 after having trouble getting through a speech at a "Breaking the Spiral of Silence" conference in Virginia.  Doctors found a brain hemorrhage, and he underwent surgery to remove a pool of clotted blood.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2012/April/Devoted-Prison-Fellowship-Founder-Chuck-Colson-Dies/

RIP Chuck, you did good.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Chuck Colson
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:38 AM »
 ::angel:: ::thumbsup:: ::angel::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:33:48 AM »
Truly a good guy.

RIP Chuck.

::USA::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:54:28 AM »
I was getting email alerts for the last couple days saying that he was about to pass and that the family had been gathered.

I was in the position of working with Chuck's voice on radio PSAs. Never met him, because he always recorded spots remotely and his people sent me the audio to edit/mix/master. But he sure was one-of-a-kind in that regard. His voice was unique, and the joy of the Lord was in it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
I read his book, "How Now Shall We Live", a long time ago.  I don't remember much about it right now except that it was good.

RIP Mr. Colson
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:06:59 AM »
Came across this nice post from someone who worked on productions with Colson):

It would be his time at the Maxwell Correction Facility in Alabama that would define his life. His Ivy League education at Brown, his Marine training, his law practice, and his rise to be the President of the United States’ right hand man were just a preface to watch a man fall from grace. (Kind of like that opening visual in the TV series Mad Men.)

“For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul.”
 Mark 8:36

But it was Colson’s very public fall that set up his life’s work. His religious awakening while in prison set up his founding Prison Fellowship Ministries. What the The New York Times called a “remarkable reveral.” While Colson also became a much in demand speaker and writer,  Timothy M. Phelps in the LA Times wrote, “he apparently never amassed great personal wealth from his work. He took an annual salary of $113,000 from his prison groups and donated all royalties from his 30 books, substantial speaking fees, and the $1 million Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion he was awarded in London in 1993 to his prison fellowship.”

<snip>

...The times I worked on the production side of Colson’s talks, the people he often quoted were the Nobel Prize writer Alexander Solzhenitsyn who spent time in the Russian Gulag, William Wiberforce who worked to end the slave trade in Britain, and Dietrich Bonhoeffer—the German Lutheran pastor who was arrested and executed related to his anti-Nazi views and actions.

Solzhenitsyn, Wilberforce, Bonheoffer and Colson were different kinds of mad men—reformers—ones that believed that there is a tomorrow.

link
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »
  RIP!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »
Solzhenitsyn, Wilberforce, Bonheoffer and Colson were different kinds of mad men—reformers—ones that believed that there is a tomorrow.

Amen................RIP
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow