Author Topic: Jonathon Frid (in case anyone's interested)  (Read 1429 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Jonathon Frid (in case anyone's interested)
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Frid passed away on April 13 from natural causes at Juravinski Hospital in Hamilton, Ontario.

The actor was best known for playing vampire Barnabus Collins in '60s supernatural TV soap opera Dark Shadows, which is the subject of an upcoming big screen remake directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp in the role made famous by Frid. The actor makes a cameo appearance in the film and it was fittingly his final screen role.

LINK

Said elsewhere: He was scheduled to be at the premiere of the new Burton/Depp movie and took the coward's way out.

Said elsewhere: Frid passed away on April 13...presumably for the last time.

And on sale now at Amazon: The complete series...all 1225 episodes...on DVD, limited edition (numbered and with Frid's autograph) $800

On sale in July: Same set (not numbered, no autograph) $400
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:29:30 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Jonathon Frid (in case anyone's interested)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:53:05 AM »
My silly adolescent sister was crazy about him .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:42:52 AM »
Come home from school, what his my big brother watching?  Dark Shadows.

::)

"You're weird!"

(I think I'll go screw with his stuff now)   ::evilbat::

Ahh, childhood memories!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:48:02 AM »
I used to watch Dark Shadows as a kid - a very small kid. My memories are vague, but I remember liking the weirdness. Barnabus seemed actually scary to me at the time.

On a side note, this reboot coming out By Burton with Depp looks horrendous, full of camp and cliched one-liners.

I like Johnny Depp - except when he's in a Tim Burton movie, which is too often. The only exception for me is "Sleepy Hollow" and maybe "Edward Scissorhands". I'm just not a Tim Burton fan at all. Depp is probably the only reason those two movies aren't on my hate list with all the rest of Tim Burton's crap.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
I liked "Beetlejuice" when it came out and I still do. That was back when Baldwin wasn't known to be such a jerk. Plus Geena Davis was hot then (although never hotter than in "The Long Kiss Goodnight"). The casting in that movie was just great. But yeah, I agree, Burton is not all that great so I don't expect that I will like his take on "Dark Shadows."

I don't think I will have $400 to plunk down on a set of DVDs, though, so I guess my memories from childhood will have to suffice. And yeah, I do remember coming home after school and watching "Dark Shadows" so there is definitely a nostalgic connection there for me.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
I can even remember the theme song in my mind, even though I haven't heard it for decades.

ETA: Youtube is a beautiful thing...

Dark Shadows Original B/W Opening
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
I liked "Beetlejuice" when it came out and I still do. That was back when Baldwin wasn't known to be such a jerk. Plus Geena Davis was hot then (although never hotter than in "The Long Kiss Goodnight"). The casting in that movie was just great. But yeah, I agree, Burton is not all that great so I don't expect that I will like his take on "Dark Shadows."

I don't think I will have $400 to plunk down on a set of DVDs, though, so I guess my memories from childhood will have to suffice. And yeah, I do remember coming home after school and watching "Dark Shadows" so there is definitely a nostalgic connection there for me.

Geena was never my favorite but she was hawt in "Earth Girls are Easy"  ;)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
I've never found Geena Davis attractive in the least. Different strokes I s'pose.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
Geena Davis was hot then (although never hotter than in "The Long Kiss Goodnight").

Really like that movie.

Oh, and she was good, too, in "A League of Their Own".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"