Author Topic: Bipartisan Senate group nearing compromise on increased background checks for gu  (Read 809 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Reeeeeal curious to see what the vote on this looks like in the House.

Yeah, you and me both, pal.

The group includes Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Oklahoma, who has an A rating with the National Rifle Association, Sen. Mark Kirk, R-Illinois, Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, a long time advocate of gun rights, and Chuck Schumer, D-New York, a long time supporter of gun control.

CNN is told the legislation they are working on would effectively require background checks on private gun purchases made with non-licensed gun dealers, according to sources in both parties. That would include closing the so-called gun show loophole.

However, the sources emphasize they are trying to work through this sticky issue so that Republicans, especially Coburn, are comfortable that it would address privacy concerns of gun owners, and would have clear exemptions for situations where a background check should not be needed. The most common example of that scenario is a grandfather or uncle giving guns they already own to a grandson or nephew.

... Maybe the real question here isn’t whether a majority of House Republicans will support it but whether Boehner’s willing to blow up the Hastert Rule yet again and try to pass the bill with a huge number of Democrats and a few dozen centrist Republicans to push them over the line to 218. The votes are surely there to make this happen given the polling....

Yah, about that polling .... Pew.

If they think this is going to stop private sales, and it appears they do, they've got another think coming.

Damn these people.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Is that a bouncing Betty?

::cool::

Nothing could end the GOP faster than collapsing on gun rights...I feel so...conflicted...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Nothing could end the GOP faster than collapsing on gun rights...

They've manged to fool people for this long....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Nothing could end the GOP faster than collapsing on gun rights...

They've manged to fool people for this long....

Speaking of fools...

Nasty Pelosi illustrates her constitutional illiteracy

What a dumb. . . (rhymes with 'hunt")!

Oh, and if the Dear Leader can disarm Marines...

Obama renders marine rifles impotent

...doesn't bode well for anybody else, eh?

If I were the Marines it might be time to tell the Dear Leader to find new palace guards!

::mooning::

The NBP I'm sure would jump at the chance to serve their master openly!

::vafancoul::

ETA - And the broom-riding Pelosi has the nerve to defend Hollyweird violent video games...

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/02/10/pelosi-defends-hollywoods-violent-video-games/

::)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:51:03 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.