Author Topic: Anybody get their garden started yet?  (Read 15708 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Anybody get their garden started yet?
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »
We put in tomatoes, cukes, red bells, eggplants, basil, radishes and Gunsmith wanted to try a row of corn.  Two different beds.

Oh, and some Marigolds for bug-repellent purposes.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sally Brown

• Newb
Re: Anybody get their garden started yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »
I've planted onions and peas but it's still WAY too early to get my "outdoor" garden planted.  Have tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplant, etc. starting in my little greenhouse.  Hoping for the best.  We have a very short growing season so it's basically gonzo gardening on a hope and a prayer.  But we do persist.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »
The Fiat destruction unit is about to swing into action and build decking and raised bed in our greenhouse and then fill them with good dirt, and then MichelleO can start planting.
I then need to finish the Solar install ( Still? Yeah, I know I know!) and get the electric run so we can run pumps, watering zones, and start on the aquaponics.  I suspect we won't get to do an experimental outdoor patch this year, but its early yet. There might be time.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:48:59 PM »
The Fiat destruction unit is about to swing into action and build decking and raised bed in our greenhouse and then fill them with good dirt, and then MichelleO can start planting.
I then need to finish the Solar install ( Still? Yeah, I know I know!) and get the electric run so we can run pumps, watering zones, and start on the aquaponics.  I suspect we won't get to do an experimental outdoor patch this year, but its early yet. There might be time.

I take it you are "the Fiat destruction unit"?  Have you solved the greenhouse sealing issue?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »
I think I'm gonna send my dirt to Kansas this year for summer vacation and hope it comes back without washing out it's ears.  Maybe something will grow in it while it's there.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
I take it you are "the Fiat destruction unit"?  Have you solved the greenhouse sealing issue?

I believe I do know how to do it properly if I build another one, or go into making them as a side business (vs. "working for the man", which as we have discussed, gets you nowhere)
But man I am not happy with the hippies that designed the one we put up. Really. Really. Cheap.  I don't know if I could beat them on price but I KNOW my product would be better made, and easier to assemble.  IN the end I think sealing is going to involve crawling all round the thing with a caulking gun. Dumb. Dumb . Dumb.  You can't waterproof with tape. and it looks crappy besides.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »
First starting season with my little greenhouse so I got a start on Carrots, Tomatoes, Squash, Zucchini, and some herbs. I've got the first batch of Potatoes in the ground as well as Onion and Garlic. I tried Pole Beans and Peas in containers last year and they didn't do so well so this year I'm putting them in the ground along one fence-line. I'm also trying Asparagus for the first time.

I laid out another 6x8' raised bed garden with timbers that I got from a local business and once I get the soil set right will be putting in the 2nd crop of Potatoes in there. I took the planters (6" by 30" cedar) and redid them as containers for herbs.

Now grow dammit!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »
  I don't garden down here.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:21:24 PM »
It rained like the dickens here this evening and broke some of the tomato plants that had overgrown their cages.  Damage = one pretty big branch, two small tomatoes and a flower cluster.

Crap.

Gunsmith was out there, poncho-ed, staking, to minimize further breakage.

How's your stuff doing, Soup?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »
I planted the corn, had to mix in 6 big loads of fresh black dirt and aged cow manure to give it a good chance at thriving.  My brother planted tomatoes, green peppers, green beans, lettuce, carrots, red & white spuds (wheeled in several loads of dirt in those beds too), and a few other things I bet I am forgetting.  Also have the existing strawberry and rhubarb plants still in place.  My father does the watering and we are trying to get my nephews the help with the weeding, but that usually falls to the adults.  I'm at the lake more than most so I guess I get most of the fun.  Sprouts are up and I guess we'll see what kind of growth we'll get.  I convinced my borther to back of the experimental stuff and grow the stuff we know does well so hopefully we'll have a better overall yield this year.

ETA - Don't forget to pluck those suckers off your 'mater's!   ;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »
I held off from moving some "grown from seed" plants out of the greenhouse and good thing as we've had a few gully-washers too. (most) Everything is growing albeit kinda slowly. For a while it was looking like I might lose the 'maters - they got pretty pathetic looking, but now they've bounced back.

Only one of the Asparagus plants survived. Don't know why (it would help if I had a clue what I was doing).

I've been feasting on fresh Strawberries and Peas (weird combination I know) and if I can keep the slugs out I'm on course for a bumper crop of Zucchini, Cucumber, and Squash. All the herbs are thriving and I've been able to clip a bit here and there for cooking already.

I'm still investigating the possibility of capturing rainwater. It's illegal in the county but fck them. I just don't see the payoff in spending a bunch of cash to catch water. So, ifI can find the drums for free then I'll do it. I'm averaging about 75 gallons a week in water that I've captured using garbage cans (the garbage collector now requires us to their their containers). I know that usage will increase as the weather gets hotter and the crops larger but if I can offset consumption with rainwater then I'll feel better about the efficiencies.

So basically it's keeping me off the streets  ;)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
It's ILLEGAL to catch rainwater where you live?  Oh, fer crissake!  On what grounds?  From whom do they think you're "stealing" if you collect rainwater on your property?

As to the slugs, beer in a shallow pan on the ground will take care of 'em.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:36:20 AM »
Still getting mine put in.
Between working a ton of hours and weather, I'm a little behind.

I was able to get a good bit of garden #3 in over the weekend.

Got @150' of sweet corn, 50# potatoes, some peppers, squash and a little bit of watermelon.
Finished out garden #1 yesterday with a little zucchini and cukes.

I still have room in garden 2. Wife is picking up 1/2# of green beans and peas and maybe a little more corn

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »
Geez, compared to you guys, we're a couple of pikers over here!

Yes, Libertas; Gunsmith has been keeping up with the suckers.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »
Geez, compared to you guys, we're a couple of pikers over here!

Big gardens don't always mean big harvests, Pan.

Wish I would have paid more attention to my dad when I was a kid.

So far this year (knock on wood) it seems to be a little better.

Got some rain which I didn't have last year.
Weeds are still under control but worried about the 5 or 6 days around the 4th.
When I go in Tuesday, July 3, I'm nonstop until Monday 7/9.
If I'm lucky I'll get to sleep 20 minutes here and there with one eye open.

Same thing happened last year and lost the gardens to weeds

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »
It's ILLEGAL to catch rainwater where you live?  Oh, fer crissake!  On what grounds?  From whom do they think you're "stealing" if you collect rainwater on your property?

Yes, the libs believe that they own the water that comes from the sky.

And I have the slug traps out but they keep attracting every liberal in my neighborhood  ::laughonfloor::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »
Re: Rain water - That is pathetic 'Soup, I'd like to see them try to prosecute a case.  Or is it just one of those fee-generating laws?  Libnuts!   ::gaah::  At the lake we're going to hook up some downspouts into a covered rain barrel and capture water we can use for gardens and such.  Might not get it up till July though.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »

Yes, the libs believe that they own the water that comes from the sky.

And I have the slug traps out but they keep attracting every liberal in my neighborhood  ::laughonfloor:: 

::laughonfloor::

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've been very fortunate as regards rain.  If I remember correctly, we've had to water only once since we put the garden in, it's rained that often.

We've two rain barrels gathering dust in the crawlspace under the house.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
Re: Rain water - That is pathetic 'Soup, I'd like to see them try to prosecute a case.  Or is it just one of those fee-generating laws?  Libnuts!   ::gaah::  At the lake we're going to hook up some downspouts into a covered rain barrel and capture water we can use for gardens and such.  Might not get it up till July though.

Right now we're just supposed to obtain a permit. I imagine that they are working their way toward requiring an environmental impact statement. The plain truth is that by capturing the water and diverting it to specific distribution around my property I an minimizing the amount of water that crashes into the storm water system.

By my reckoning they should be thanking me...or giving me a Starbucks card or something  :D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »

Right now we're just supposed to obtain a permit. I imagine that they are working their way toward requiring an environmental impact statement. The plain truth is that by capturing the water and diverting it to specific distribution around my property I an minimizing the amount of water that crashes into the storm water system.

By my reckoning they should be thanking me...or giving me a Starbucks card or something  :D

.... or leaving you the hell alone.