Author Topic: Anybody get their garden started yet?  (Read 15689 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Anybody get their garden started yet?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »
It's ILLEGAL to catch rainwater where you live?  Oh, fer crissake!  On what grounds?  From whom do they think you're "stealing" if you collect rainwater on your property?

As to the slugs, beer in a shallow pan on the ground will take care of 'em.

Yes, the libs believe that they own the water that comes from the sky.

And I have the slug traps out but they keep attracting every liberal in my neighborhood  ::laughonfloor::

How do you stand it? I would be out of my mind.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
It's ILLEGAL to catch rainwater where you live?  Oh, fer crissake!  On what grounds?  From whom do they think you're "stealing" if you collect rainwater on your property?

And I have the slug traps out but they keep attracting every liberal in my neighborhood  ::laughonfloor::

I know, right?! I'm running out of places in the garden to bury the, er, compostables  ::evil::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »

I know, right?! I'm running out of places in the garden to bury the, er, compostables  ::evil::

Can you keep the water that collects in the kiddy pool?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »
Plenty of dill this year, so I put in a cucumber.  The zucchini are now grabbing dogs and small children off the street.  The thyme and oregano are doing just fine, the rosemary seems a little gnarly, but tastes good, and the chives are duking it out with the rosemary.  The basils are arguing about who really invented pasta...the Thai claiming it was an oriental thing, while the Genoa is claiming it for Europe.  The spinach is beginning to poke out a little bit, and the vinca are back as volunteers for the third year in a row.  Moved the irises up from the back to see how they'll do in the bed with the vincas.  The orchid I picked up the other day at Home Depot had been held captive in the store too long...had to cut the container from around its little feetsies...and the philodendron is thinking about puberty.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:46 PM »
Plenty of dill this year, so I put in a cucumber.  The zucchini are now grabbing dogs and small children off the street.  The thyme and oregano are doing just fine, the rosemary seems a little gnarly, but tastes good, and the chives are duking it out with the rosemary.  The basils are arguing about who really invented pasta...the Thai claiming it was an oriental thing, while the Genoa is claiming it for Europe.  The spinach is beginning to poke out a little bit, and the vinca are back as volunteers for the third year in a row.  Moved the irises up from the back to see how they'll do in the bed with the vincas.  The orchid I picked up the other day at Home Depot had been held captive in the store too long...had to cut the container from around its little feetsies...and the philodendron is thinking about puberty.

Excellent report!

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »

Excellent report!

Oh, and the rainwater is running down the street into the sea, so I tend to grab some in buckets when I think about it.  And if the town code enforcement officer were to try to give me any sh*t about it, I think I'll introduce him to the child eating well in the back where the rain forest is.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »

"...... grabbing dogs and small children off the street."

::rolllaughing::

Best garden tale I've heard in quite some time!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »

"...... grabbing dogs and small children off the street."

::rolllaughing::

Best garden tale I've heard in quite some time!

Thought for awhile that perhaps an octopus had crawled up out of the sea and taken residence there by the sidewalk, but I've never seen one that bright green before.  And the "eyes big as plates!" turned out to be flowers. 

Not sure what happened to the preying mantis I hired last year to protect the crops, but a little feller showed up claiming to be from the agency.  I'll keep him on, but I think he might be replaying some of those scenes with Henery Hawk trying to predatorize Foghorn Leghorn if we get any raiders bigger than a Louisiana sized flea.

Same thing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
Well, my advice is to see if you can lure some wasps into hanging around (I hear they like the Lady-spiders) the tomata plants; they have a tendancy to plant their seed in the horned 'mater worms for incubation.  Prolific reproductive species, wut?!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 06:10:02 AM »
Well, my advice is to see if you can lure some wasps into hanging around (I hear they like the Lady-spiders) the tomata plants; they have a tendancy to plant their seed in the horned 'mater worms for incubation.  Prolific reproductive species, wut?!

Makes those sci-fi movies seem not quite as alien as I'd like.

Same thing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »
Status report.

Garden doing well, although there's always another pest or "condition" to ameliorate.  We had to scrap about a dozen small 'maters because of end-blossom rot; cause, calcium deficiency.  Off to the store for lime.

Same for the cukes.  We were harvesting regularly and the really teenies started, then withered.  Cure = calcium.  And perhaps they weren't being pollinated properly.  Turns out the plant has male and female flowers -- with particular and unique characteristics -- and what we thought were teeny cukes were really .... cucumber penisii.  Hand-pollinating with a watercolor paintbrush will probably fix that.  Hey!  I don't make the rules, I just abide by 'em.

Just took two nice regular "Italian" type eggplants and we'll be frying them up within the next couple days.

Basil's doing well, tomatoes are doing a lot better and the red bells are coming along nicely, too.

The corn is interesting.  Neither of us never grew it, so it's a trial by learning, and so, we'll see.  Appears okay; we're novices, so what do we know?

We regularly do the "grow, GROW" chant, and ask, and thank, The Big Gardener for his assistance.

My Obama-voting neighbor has been blessed with a green thumb.  This year we gave him an leftover pepper and  leftover eggplant plants.  He doesn't see the point in growing food because, he says, the amount of work is pointless when one can just go to the grocery store.  He doesn't seem to be able to segue from ornamentals to food, and doesn't understand that what we're doing here is trial and error and PRACTICE for the day we may need these skills and this knowledge to survive.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:07:10 AM by Pandora »

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
We're not a couple of Luther Burbanks but we've got tomatos coming off and cucumbers coming on .

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »
Calcium, you say, wot?

Hmmm....

Same thing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »
Calcium, you say, wot?

Hmmm....

There's a spray, too, EW; goes right on the foliage, the little fruits and the flowers for almost instant take-up.  We did that, and the following day, watered the base with the lime mix.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
Calcium, you say, wot?

Hmmm....

There's a spray, too, EW; goes right on the foliage, the little fruits and the flowers for almost instant take-up.  We did that, and the following day, watered the base with the lime mix.

I'll look for it.  First time I grew any squash here was last year, and I had the same problem:  didn't occur to me that it was Ca deficient, but that would explain it.

Same thing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
Calcium, you say, wot?

Hmmm....

I'll look for it.  First time I grew any squash here was last year, and I had the same problem:  didn't occur to me that it was Ca deficient, but that would explain it.

Cut the nitrogen fert. to as low as you can; the nitrogen encourages greenery not fruitery.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 09:46:07 PM »
Calcium, you say, wot?

Hmmm....

Bone meal, long lasting. This fall when everything is out prep the soil with a dose of line and a couple of hand fulls of bone meal that way it has all winter to start to disolve. If you have any grass clippings or leaves till them under too and give them the winter to rot in/ Come spring you shpould be resdy to go but add a little more lime to it the bone meal should have done it's job .
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
I have 3 gardens.

Work schedule put me behind where I wanted to be.  #1 wass planted primarily the week before Memorial Day; #2 Memorial Day and the next weekend and #3 the first weekend in June

#1 is approx 40X45. Little bit of heirloom corn, sunflowers, peas, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, eating tomatoes (2 kinds,)yellow beans, pinto beans, jalapenos, little bit of cabbage.
Small heads on the cauliflower, corn in tassel, beans and peas in blossom. Tomatoes in blossom with some small green ones a little bigger than golf balls right now.

#2 is approx, 50X 70
Different kind of corn, paste tomatoes 50# potatoes, watermelon, cantaloupes, pumpkins and a few yellow hungarian (I think) pepper plants I started from seed. Romas are starting to form tomatoes

#3 is approx 30X80. 2 different kind of peppers, silver queen corn, 50# of later tomatoes, more green beans, squash and a different kind of watermelon.

This one is farthest from the house and something is eating my corn (deer?)

Because I work so many hours, it is a challenge to keep the weeds back. Right now, we're at a draw but good enough that I won't lose my crop to weeds.

I bought a bunch of heirloom seeds and tried starting most of my garden from them.
My results were a little less than successful

charlesoakwood

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »

That garden sounds delicious.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
They do!