Author Topic: Anybody get their garden started yet?  (Read 15673 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Anybody get their garden started yet?
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
Out 'maters went wild too, have to get a better staking system next year, but it has been a bumper crop year, folks are dehydrating stuff like crazy.  Lots of red & white spuds this year too, those really came in.  Hoping strawberrys come in like gangbusters next year and we get a good corn harvest going too.  Live and learn.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
Out 'maters went wild too, have to get a better staking system next year, but it has been a bumper crop year, folks are dehydrating stuff like crazy.  Lots of red & white spuds this year too, those really came in.  Hoping strawberrys come in like gangbusters next year and we get a good corn harvest going too.  Live and learn.

Oh rats!  Did we miss spud-planting season?  I thought that was done end of summer/fall?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »

Oh rats!  Did we miss spud-planting season?  I thought that was done end of summer/fall?

I dunno, we didn't plant till late spring and got a good crop.  Could have left them in a bit longer and maybe increased some sizes, but we got a pretty good haul, some were bigguns too.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
It rained like the dickens here this evening and broke some of the tomato plants that had overgrown their cages.  Damage = one pretty big branch, two small tomatoes and a flower cluster.

Crap.

Gunsmith was out there, poncho-ed, staking, to minimize further breakage.

How's your stuff doing, Soup?

Hang the broken branch upside down and the tomatoes will go ahead and ripen. If you can get it in sunlight it will go even better.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »
Thanks.  Now we know what to do from now on.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

I just planted my 3rd crop of taters. First two were tasty! Container growing them seems to affect their size (they're smaller) but I'm continuing to try diferent stuff to learn more about them. The main thing is that container growing them has eliminated damage from the moles and slugs.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »

I just planted my 3rd crop of taters. First two were tasty! Container growing them seems to affect their size (they're smaller) but I'm continuing to try diferent stuff to learn more about them. The main thing is that container growing them has eliminated damage from the moles and slugs.

What kind of container did you use and where and on what surface did you place it?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »

What kind of container did you use and where and on what surface did you place it?

Plastic 30 gal garbage cans cut off @ 24" and placed on top of some pallet boards.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
Hmmm .... not much diameter there at the bottom.  Do they need drain holes?

How do you think one of those really big, rectangular Tupperware-type storage containers would do?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »
Hmmm .... not much diameter there at the bottom.  Do they need drain holes?

How do you think one of those really big, rectangular Tupperware-type storage containers would do?

It's scalable depending on how many tubs you set up. Yes, I drilled drain holes and yes, any tub will work - I've even done this with kiddie wading pools  ;D