Author Topic: USS Cole bombing, the story  (Read 1846 times)

charlesoakwood

USS Cole bombing, the story
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:50:34 AM »

USS Cole Commander Kirk Lippold,  has written a book about the bombing of the Cole.
It is titled “Front Burner: Al Qaeda’s Attack on the USS Cole”  and will be released April 10.
The Daily Caller published part of an interview in it's article.  This is a snippet.

“At the moment of the explosion, the entire ship is lifted up into the air, and within seconds I knew we’d been attacked,”

“I was sitting in my cabin working at my desk. I went back and opened the safe where I kept the keys to the missiles and the torpedoes and the guns, and I pulled out a 9mm pistol, took a deep breath and went outside on the ship.”

“I didn’t know if we were going to be boarded. … All I knew was I had chambered a round, I had two clips of ammunition. … The only thing I could think of [was] I might be facing my destiny, but I’m not leaving a single round in the chamber. The only two things that mattered to me in the moment were protecting my crew and protecting my ship.”
“There was no announcing system to tell them what had happened because it had failed. There were no alarm systems on the ship because the system had failed. So without anyone telling the crew what to do, what had happened, where to go, they fell back on their training and immediately set about saving the ship and saving their shipmates,” he said. “We got the ship stable within a couple hours, to where it wasn’t sinking. To tell you how well the crew did in saving their shipmates —that first day we evacuated 33 wounded off the ship, in 99 minutes, and of those 33, 32 would survive.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/06/twelve-years-later-uss-cole-commander-recalls-deadly-attack/

Offline S0N_of_trapeze

• Newb
  • I am a defender AND a legacy. A SOLDIER
Re: USS Cole bombing, the story
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:21:21 PM »
This goes to show the value of military training and discipline. I love stories of military men and women reacting to potentially devastating attacks and, by pure instinct, saving lives and equipment. Makes me proud to share that Flag on my right shoulder with them. God bless those sailors
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them. - Mark Twain
No more important duty can be urged upon those who are entering the great theater of life than simple loyalty to their best convictions.- Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »
This goes to show the value of military training and discipline.

Amen. And I know they train vigorously.

And thank you for your service. ::USA::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:04:32 AM »
I cannot tell you how boring and routine all the shipboard drills were in my day, but there is a method to the madness even if one is merely going through the motions...if anything does happen you know where you are supposed to be and what you should be doing...and strangely enough people react accordingly under stress, training basically creates a new default setting in people.  It doesn't mean all people react the same under stressful circumstances, the the vast majority do, and as we see in the case of the Cole they responded well.

"American Bad Ass", heh, feisty crew, eh?!

::thumbsup::

::USA::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline 21stCenturyThinker

• Newb
  • Renaissance Man- Don't Fear the Rebirth
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
...and strangely enough people react accordingly under stress, training basically creates a new default setting in people.  It doesn't mean all people react the same under stressful circumstances, the the vast majority do, and as we see in the case of the Cole they responded well.

Funny thing about instinct... it causes some people to run toward danger while it causes others to run away from it. That's where the training comes in. Lots of credit should be given to the entire chain of command on the Cole for training effectively to make sure that instinct was either augmented or overcome depending upon the personality of each sailor.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »
Agreed, a leader, not necessarily a person of higher rank, often provides the leadership by example in such circumstances, and it makes it more likely others will follow them.

::thumbsup::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »

October   12, 2000 - United States Navy destroyer USS Cole on
November 7,  2000 - Election Day
[blockquote]
Wiki
The asymmetric warfare attack was organized and directed by the terrorist organization al-Qaeda.[4][5][6][7] In June 2001, an al-Qaeda recruitment video featuring Osama bin Laden boasted about the attack and encouraged similar attacks.[8][9] [/blockquote]
IRRC, bombing the Cole was not an election topic.  The MSM never asked George Bush what he intended to do, if he intended to follow through with Clinton's FBI scheme or would he pursuit a different plan against the bombers.

Wonder if Ali Kader or his cousins Muja and Tali have plans this election season?  If they do pull something off will it be a topic this election season?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 07:13:05 AM »
Expecting an October surprise, eh Charles?

There could be more than one.