Author Topic: Happy San Jacinto Day!  (Read 1277 times)

charlesoakwood

Happy San Jacinto Day!
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »

http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/The_Battle/Timeline_of_Events/Revolution/   
April 21, 1836
The Battle of San Jacinto marked the stunning conclusion to the Texas Revolution, as Texian forces—outnumbered and under-trained—launched a successful attack. The battle lasted approximately 18 minutes. Discipline was hard to maintain as Texian soldiers rallied to cries of “Remember the Alamo!” and “Remember Goliad!”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Jacinto
The Battle of San Jacinto, fought on April 21, 1836, in present-day Harris County, Texas, was the decisive battle of the Texas Revolution. Led by General Sam Houston, the Texian Army engaged and defeated General Antonio López de Santa Anna's Mexican forces in a fight that lasted just eighteen minutes. About 630 of the Mexican soldiers were killed and 730 captured, while only nine Texans died.[2]

Santa Anna, the President of Mexico, was captured the following day and held as a prisoner of war. Three weeks later, he signed the peace treaty that dictated that the Mexican army leave the region, paving the way for the Republic of Texas to become an independent country.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:56:35 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Happy San Jacinto Day!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »
Three weeks later, he signed the peace treaty that dictated that the Mexican army leave the region, paving the way for the Republic of Texas to become an independent country.

They should have stayed one, too.  At the time the US Federal government wasn't the malignant cancer that it is now. I wonder how many of those Western territories would have asserted independence rather than seek statehood, if they could have seen how things would turn out a century later.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »
Should I move this to History?   ::USA::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »

Tomorrow, OK?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 04:20:20 AM »
I wonder what would happen to American citizens in Mexico City if they celebrated that one !

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »
I wonder what would happen to American citizens in Mexico City if they celebrated that one !

Hell I wonder what would happen to American citizens in Los Angeles or any number of other US cities if they celebrated that one.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:24:54 PM »

Hell I wonder what would happen to American citizens in Los Angeles or any number of other US cities if they celebrated that one.

In their face!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.