Author Topic: '55 Chevy Delray - restoring and customizing  (Read 15609 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: '55 Chevy Delray - restoring and customizing
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
Very cool rides, guys and gal. Pan, the 55 is definitely a jewel. ::cool::

Thanks, Alan.  Very happy to being closer to driving it.

As you know, I have been swimming against the tide of fixing things up:

Swimming?  More like diving!

Ladies and gentlemen, our friend EW just recently took a bad dump on his crotchrocket and if it wasn't for his riding gear -- jacket, helmet, gloves -- and whatever roll-bar type things one puts on bikes to save one's pieces, he'd still be in the hospital.  Or worse.

And ya know what he's really whining about?  His jeans.  They in the ER cut off his best-fitting jeans.

God love ya, EW.   ::kissface::

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 06:49:42 AM »
Heh, let go my jeans!

Never had a bad spill on a scooter (thank God), glad you were geared-up and spared EW!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »
Very cool rides, guys and gal. Pan, the 55 is definitely a jewel. ::cool::

Thanks, Alan.  Very happy to being closer to driving it.

As you know, I have been swimming against the tide of fixing things up:

Swimming?  More like diving!

Ladies and gentlemen, our friend EW just recently took a bad dump on his crotchrocket and if it wasn't for his riding gear -- jacket, helmet, gloves -- and whatever roll-bar type things one puts on bikes to save one's pieces, he'd still be in the hospital.  Or worse.

And ya know what he's really whining about?  His jeans.  They in the ER cut off his best-fitting jeans.

God love ya, EW.   ::kissface::

::oldman::

Dja' know how HARD it is to find good fitting jeans?!?!  The moral of the story is, "Watch where the hell you're going!"  (At least I was trying to classify road debris rather than classifying young female anatomy...for some reason I feel better about that even though the end result was the same.)

The "tip over" bars are really for those days when I am awkward, and have to let the bike fall over (prior abdominal surgery makes it possible I could spill my guts wrestling with an awkward bike).  They aren't SUPPOSED to be "crash bars," but bygdawg makes 'em good!  Even so, they are supposed to stick out straight:

My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 08:49:16 AM »
Heh, let go my jeans!

Never had a bad spill on a scooter (thank God), glad you were geared-up and spared EW!   ::thumbsup::

Thanks! but if you are going to be old and bold, there's a saying: "ATGATT!"

No matter how good a rider you are, eventually you will go down, so it pays to be ready...not only with the gear, but mentally as well.  You can reduce your chances of injury or the severity of your injuries by study and practice; just as you would improve your marksmanship or golf.

I like to think that as I've gotten older, only my golf has gotten worse.

Of course, we all like to believe in fairy tales...
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »
I had a Honda 250 Enduro I bought when I was 16. When I was 18 I was cocking-off and wiped out real good. No helmet, shorts and T-shirt. I was skun-up awful, and the bumps and bruises on elbows, knees, head, butt, hips, etc, took me out of commission for a few weeks. I was very lucky.

I tried to get back on the horse for a while, but I never really did. I'd look down and see the pavement rushing by and remember the feeling of my body tumbling uncontrollably head-over-heels like a rag-doll for what seemed like forever, the feeling of my head smashing the ground, the feeling of the bike smashing me as we both rolled together for a while...

Apparently one bad spill was enough. I rode a few more times that year, but only half-heartedly. I realized one day the following year that the whole summer had passed and I hadn't ridden once. I kept it around for a few years thinking that someday I'd ride it again, but I never did so I let it go.

Even though I look at bikes and think how fun and economical it would be to have one, that memory has kept me from it, and I suspect it always will.

My boy just rear-ended one a couple weeks ago. Lucky no one was seriously hurt, but hes about to understand what I was talking about leading up to him getting his license when I'd harp about "high-risk" premiums.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
"Worse" one for me was years ago up at the lake...gave little sis a ride on the back of the Yamaha 250 trail bike...going down a really sandy hill she starts making funny noises and begins to yank on me as she is falling off...she did a boo boo and grab hard on my throttle arm.  Needless to say I joined her in the dirt with a hot bike on my leg.  Good thing I was wearing long pants and got up quick.  The concept of holding my middle no matter what was drilled into her after that.  (She still hates it when I bring it up).

;D

But I have had enough near-misses on the road to last me quite awhile...if not for quick reactions I might have eaten a car or truck or two...I have no desire to see how well my jacket, chaps & helemt can hold up!

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »
My boy just rear-ended one a couple weeks ago. Lucky no one was seriously hurt, but hes about to understand what I was talking about leading up to him getting his license when I'd harp about "high-risk" premiums.

Ouch, yes, he is.

Same thing.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
"Worse" one for me was years ago up at the lake...gave little sis a ride on the back of the Yamaha 250 trail bike...going down a really sandy hill she starts making funny noises and begins to yank on me as she is falling off...she did a boo boo and grab hard on my throttle arm.  Needless to say I joined her in the dirt with a hot bike on my leg.  Good thing I was wearing long pants and got up quick.  The concept of holding my middle no matter what was drilled into her after that.  (She still hates it when I bring it up).

;D

But I have had enough near-misses on the road to last me quite awhile...if not for quick reactions I might have eaten a car or truck or two...I have no desire to see how well my jacket, chaps & helemt can hold up!

Being a second seater is an artform in and of itself, and few people are really good at it.  (Including me.)

As for the jacket, chaps, and helmet...the idea is NOT for them to hold up...but to be gracefully destroyed so that you don't have to be.

I was behind a young gal southbound in Virginia last year when she fell asleep on her way back to nursing school.  Her new Beetle rolled three times, including once lengthwise before coming to rest on the shoulder right side up.  She had a tiny cut on her left small finger, and she was pretty shaken up and confused.  She was also going to have a pair of black eyes and a lot of tenderness from the airbag and seat belt; but the extent of her injuries, even with the roof partially caved in, was the cut on her little finger.  Her Beetle was totalled, but what a perfect piece of engineering!  From the moment it stopped being an automobile and became a energy absorption barrier to protect her, until the time I opened her door, it did a job that a fairy godmother could be proud of!

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 12:02:51 PM »
Two thoughts when riding the bike - 1) Where the hell is everybody (head on swivel is a must, especially in city, but everywhere...I drive a lot of rural roads and there are morons out there too, but spacing & options are better) 2) Escape options - a) Evade or b) Cannot evade, where do I land?  Not a lot of options sometimes.  

Bad idea - Started putting center median cables up on freeways (think agent traps like in Matrix), look like ginsu knives to bikers!  So I either take a chance on left lane and make it through or I go into the right lane where all the crazies are...grandma backing up traffic, semi on your butt...dipsh*t doing the power exit move from the fast lane while his idiot relative is doing the NASA shuttle launch down the on ramp and thinks slamming in behind you and the semi is a good idea as he considers his next move to cut someone off in the fast lane just so he can get to his buddies house five minutes faster so the can game all night and bitch about girls who hate them.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:59 AM »
Oh, one more thing about bikes...is this sad or what?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/?gclid=CKrVvar08K8CFY0BQAodbVZsZA

Zero.   ::)

Yeah, as in zero chance!

::facepalm::

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
Two thoughts when riding the bike - 1) Where the hell is everybody (head on swivel is a must, especially in city, but everywhere...I drive a lot of rural roads and there are morons out there too, but spacing & options are better) 2) Escape options - a) Evade or b) Cannot evade, where do I land?  Not a lot of options sometimes.  

Bad idea - Started putting center median cables up on freeways (think agent traps like in Matrix), look like ginsu knives to bikers!  So I either take a chance on left lane and make it through or I go into the right lane where all the crazies are...grandma backing up traffic, semi on your butt...dipsh*t doing the power exit move from the fast lane while his idiot relative is doing the NASA shuttle launch down the on ramp and thinks slamming in behind you and the semi is a good idea as he considers his next move to cut someone off in the fast lane just so he can get to his buddies house five minutes faster so the can game all night and bitch about girls who hate them.

One thing to remember is that traffic (when there is some) tends to "accordian," like beads on an elastic string, alternately stretching and compressing.  It's at its most dangerous for a biker when its compressing, because a bike between two cages stands no chance at all.  Because auto drivers do play "follow the leader" in that fashion, ie, like beads on a elastic string, the best defense for a biker is to get off the string:  that is, move out of the column of traffic.  (In fact, I was working on that but hadn't yet achieved it when I collided with the car ahead of me last month.)  There isn't anything magic about those lines painted on the ground, EXCEPT that a smart rider (or driver, for that matter) can use them to their advantage.  Stop and go traffic?  Move over the fog line to the median, which gets you "off the string" and out of harm's way if the two cars you were between come too close together to leave room for you to fit, or if you are distracted and fail to slow in time to avoid the car in front:  when you are on the median, there isn't a car in front of you.  Same with a stop light:  where should a biker stop?  If there are two lanes of traffic going in your direction, I prefer to stop between the two cars in front of me...and if there isn't enough room to get all the way into that pocket, I'll at least nose in there in case I get hit from behind.  That may not be ideal if I get struck from behind, but being knocked up the gap like a bowling ball down the gutter is better than being squooshed between bumpers.  On a single lane of traffic, you still want to move outside, but your choices are also limited by what is at the light and what is beyond.  If there is a left turn lane, for example, it does no good to move to the outside left into the path of left turning traffic, and so on.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »

One thing to remember is that traffic (when there is some) tends to "accordian," like beads on an elastic string, alternately stretching and compressing.  It's at its most dangerous for a biker when its compressing, because a bike between two cages stands no chance at all.  Because auto drivers do play "follow the leader" in that fashion, ie, like beads on a elastic string, the best defense for a biker is to get off the string:  that is, move out of the column of traffic.  (In fact, I was working on that but hadn't yet achieved it when I collided with the car ahead of me last month.)  There isn't anything magic about those lines painted on the ground, EXCEPT that a smart rider (or driver, for that matter) can use them to their advantage.  Stop and go traffic?  Move over the fog line to the median, which gets you "off the string" and out of harm's way if the two cars you were between come too close together to leave room for you to fit, or if you are distracted and fail to slow in time to avoid the car in front:  when you are on the median, there isn't a car in front of you.  Same with a stop light:  where should a biker stop?  If there are two lanes of traffic going in your direction, I prefer to stop between the two cars in front of me...and if there isn't enough room to get all the way into that pocket, I'll at least nose in there in case I get hit from behind.  That may not be ideal if I get struck from behind, but being knocked up the gap like a bowling ball down the gutter is better than being squooshed between bumpers.  On a single lane of traffic, you still want to move outside, but your choices are also limited by what is at the light and what is beyond.  If there is a left turn lane, for example, it does no good to move to the outside left into the path of left turning traffic, and so on.

I hear ya.  Actually all the people driving small specs and such is a good thing...I actually sit up higher (eyeball height) on my bike and I can see over them better!  That "accordian" thing can be nervous, even in car, but especially on a bike, I usually migrate to one side or another preapring to dart aside, but that fool with the lousy brakes could be lurking out for you so keeping an eye on those jokers behind you is important too.  Head on a swivel, its the only way.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 01:03:52 PM »

I hear ya.  Actually all the people driving small specs and such is a good thing...I actually sit up higher (eyeball height) on my bike and I can see over them better!  That "accordian" thing can be nervous, even in car, but especially on a bike, I usually migrate to one side or another preapring to dart aside, but that fool with the lousy brakes could be lurking out for you so keeping an eye on those jokers behind you is important too.  Head on a swivel, its the only way.

Not just head on a swivel...which is supremely important, but I have absolutely no modesty about leaving the "roadway" if I am going to be safer out there.  For example, construction zones that have cones or barrels, but good pavement on the "outside" are an automatic safety zone for me.  That doesn't mean "get out of traffic and fly by where the cars and trucks can't," because not only is that illegal in all 50, and rude, but a bad idea when Darrell & Darrell stuck in traffic in their beater 1970 Dodge pick-em-up catch up with you 40 miles down the road...

What I mean is that I don't just "prepare to dart aside," but I actually get "aside" before I have to worry about it.  (Although obviously I should have worried about it a little more this last time.)

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »

Not just head on a swivel...which is supremely important, but I have absolutely no modesty about leaving the "roadway" if I am going to be safer out there.  For example, construction zones that have cones or barrels, but good pavement on the "outside" are an automatic safety zone for me.  That doesn't mean "get out of traffic and fly by where the cars and trucks can't," because not only is that illegal in all 50, and rude, but a bad idea when Darrell & Darrell stuck in traffic in their beater 1970 Dodge pick-em-up catch up with you 40 miles down the road...

What I mean is that I don't just "prepare to dart aside," but I actually get "aside" before I have to worry about it.  (Although obviously I should have worried about it a little more this last time.)

Yeah, we do what we can when we can.  Only someone who rides a cycle can truely appreciate all of lifes dangers on the road.  We haven't even gotten into the inconsiderate jackasses that throw stuff out the window...so tired of having ciggybutts bounced off my chest or spit-covered sunflower seed shells hitting me in the face!

::cussing:: 

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 01:18:13 PM »

Yeah, we do what we can when we can.  Only someone who rides a cycle can truely appreciate all of lifes dangers on the road.  We haven't even gotten into the inconsiderate jackasses that throw stuff out the window...so tired of having ciggybutts bounced off my chest or spit-covered sunflower seed shells hitting me in the face!

::cussing:: 

::rolllaughing::

Yep.

Same thing.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
  My first car was 1965 Impala SS convertable in Verdoro Green.

http://www.hotrodschoppers.com/65impalassconv.htm

My second car was a 1957 chevy ZL1 motor(427 aluminiun big block with a tilt nose.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz191/cherokeehxc/sucp_0811_01_z_classic_1957_chevy_bel_air_side_view.jpg
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
  My next car was 1968 Torino GT fastback bright red with a 427 SOC motor(427 single overhead cam) a real brute but not as fast as my chevy by a long shot.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1968+torino+gt+fastback+pictures&mid=A3716088BC6D602B1F2AA3716088BC6D602B1F2A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE4
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »
  The wife drove a 1969 Cobra Mach 1 when I met her and all the way till we had our first child:

1969 Mach 1 Burnout

Hers was gold with all the things you see on this car.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:01 PM »
I love cars all cars.Those cars posted here are great each and every one of them are special and all America!!I wish I had all my cars but who had the money to do that.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »

Scott,glad to see you here,how you feeling?
 Filippo Mazzie